“Overnight stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the novotel hotel on the 31st jan and what a lovely hotel this is staff are very welcoming and pleasent when my husband rang down to reception to say we where cold in our room only due to being shopping in york center on a very iciy rainy day the staff came within mins to our room with a heater.the room was spacious red hotwater for our bath and the bed was so comfy the pool was lovely and warm we love york and will deffinatly stay again at the novotel hotel thank you everyone for our lovely stay

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sasire
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Good morning. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I have shared them with the team and we are all pleased to read you had a good time despite the cold weather! We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and to the beautiful city of York.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just stayed there for my 50th birthday (2rooms).. rooms not a bad size but bathroom small and not much hanging space. This morning there was no hot water.
- I had been given a bottle of champagne by my son which we were going to drink watching the game on the big screen yesterday but were told we couldn't...We then bought drinks in reception but these were very expensive.
Also I agree with the comment about the mini bar - there was only water in there so assumed it was complimentary..sadly not, £2.50 for a small bottle ...excessive. There was a notice but very hard to read.
Note on here that many people were able to check in early..again although I didn't try to check in until about 1.00- was unable to...this would really have helped as my elderly mother was with me.
Positive - the breakfast was good.
Not sure if I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I have had a chance to review your feedback and have taken note of your comments. I would personally apologise for the lack of hot water on Monday morning due to a technical issue. I am also sorry to notice you were not able to book in before the usual 2.00pm check in time. We do our utmost to clean the rooms as fast as possible to give early access but were not able to do so on this instance. I also hope you will understand we are not in a position to authorise our guests to bring their own drinks into our bar. Thank you very much for your review.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just returned from a weekend, but used to live in the next street so know the area. This hotel is ideally placed for exploring York Centre and the rooms a re a reasonable size and clean. When I have stayed in Novotel hotels elsewhere the quality of the furniture, carpets etc seemed better. Some plumbing faults were rectified after a couple of hours, but no apologies. York is a great place to visit and this hotel is on the river, on the southern edge of the centre25 minutes walk from the station. It should be spruced up. There is a good choice of hotels in York - this is in the middle of the pile - average value for money - you should be comfortable there but not wowed !

Room Tip: The rooms high up at the back will give you a good view of the rivers Ouse and Foss, over the flooed...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I have had a chance to review your comments with the team and hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to York. Thank you again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Very nice (executive) room and the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. The menu in the restaurant is very limited and overpriced and I would advice not bothering with the £14 per head breakfast when there is a very new Weatherspoon's round the corner located under the travel lodge hotel.
Children stay for free so there were a lot of kids running round. If you are looking for a hotel with a decent pool then this is defiantly not the the hotel for you, it is very small and bit pointless to be honest. The car park is £10 per night, however, the hotel is only 5 minute walk from the city centre.

• Stayed January 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am pleased to read you found our team to be friendly and helpful. I am slightly disappointed about your disatisfaction about the price of breakfast, We do have lots of packages including breakfast which are great value for money taking into account the extend of our buffet on offer. With regards to the pool, it is 13m long by 6 m width. Thank you once again for your valuable comments. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

UK
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business and found it ideally located and well equipped. I've stayed in a number of novotels but this one whilst comfortable is just a little tired in the bedrooms. The service was excellent and the staff couldn't be more helpful. I would stay again

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank noodle1490
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your honest feedback. I would also like to thank you for using Novotels when travelling. I have noted your comments and would like to take this opportunity to confirm that we will carry on with our bedroom refurbishment in 2014. I am also delighted you found our team to be very helpful. Your review has been shared with the team. Thank you once again for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The staff were incredibly friendly & helpful. In our party we had my folks in 1 room, cousins in another, and my husband and our 1-yr-old in our room. Every effort was made to welcome us during our stay. I was also very impressed with all the kid-friendly things in the lobby. The beds aren't great - but for the price, location and the indoor pool - we were very pleased.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Kristin W
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your review. I am very pleased you and your party had a good time and enjoyed your stay in York. I will certainly share your comments with the team as I am sure they will appreciate the praise. Thank you once again and I do hope we will have the pleasure to seeing you again in the future.

with kind regards,

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is splendidly placed to explore York, being a mere 5-10 minute walk from the historic town centre.
The staff , without exeption, could not be faulted!
Attentive without being intrusive... Nothing too much trouble!
The room wad of a good size with room to work and a sofabed all of which made our stay really good.
The reastaurant was exceptional in quality and value, & the hot & cold buffet breakfast left nothing to be desired. The small pool looked spotless and had lots of people with smiles on their faces... What more could you ask!
The only downside to our stay was students in the next room partying from 4pm... This was promptly and politely dealt with by the staff, who insisted on adjusting our bill by a reasonable margin.
This episode was obviously beyond the hotels screening process and was dealt with very professionally.
We will be back. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Regattaman
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Good morning anf many thanks for your kind words. I have shared them with the team and we are all very pleased to read you would consider staying with us next time you visit York. we are all looking forward to welcoming you back.