“40th weekend break”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“40th weekend break”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

We decided to have a weekend in York to celebrate my 40th Birthday with my fiancé & our two young children. The hotel was a little by further away from town than I had expected but an OK walk. The room we had was too small as it had a double bed & a double sofa that was made out to two singles side by side, this meant we had very little room to walk around or in between the beds so the kids had to spend most of the time sat on their beds! Also the blankets on the pull out beds looked old and well used. There is no hanging space for jackets etc... And no radiators which proved difficult after we had been out around town last Friday and got very wet and cold! We phoned reception and they quickly sent a small room heater up to us, this meant we had even less floor space and had to keep the kids away as it was a danger as hot! The toilet was separate to the bathroom which seemed like a good idea at first but meant going from one to the other to wash hands which was a pain especially if I was showering and my son needed to wash he's hands! We couldn't seem to get the large overhead shower to work in the hotel bathroom or in the pool area??The food in the restaurant for dinner was nice but the children's food a bit basic and quite expensive overall as nearly the same price as eating in one of the towns very nice seafood restaurants!! The breakfast was hot one day but cold the next but the variety was good and tasty when hot. We had one trip to the swimming pool as it was quite cold in the water and one shower and two small changing rooms seemed a little insufficient. It also lacks privacy as the pool is visible from the bar, reception and restaurant! Don't think we would visit again as the room size meant we couldn't relax and small details missing!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank AMR74
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Good morning and thank you for your review. I am obviously disappointed to read you would not consider using us again in the future and taken note of your points. Whilst there is very limited action I can take with regards to the size of the room, I will certainly look into your other comments. Thank you once again.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the novotel hotel on the 31st jan and what a lovely hotel this is staff are very welcoming and pleasent when my husband rang down to reception to say we where cold in our room only due to being shopping in york center on a very iciy rainy day the staff came within mins to our room with a heater.the room was spacious red hotwater for our bath and the bed was so comfy the pool was lovely and warm we love york and will deffinatly stay again at the novotel hotel thank you everyone for our lovely stay

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sasire
Good morning. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I have shared them with the team and we are all pleased to read you had a good time despite the cold weather! We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and to the beautiful city of York.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just stayed there for my 50th birthday (2rooms).. rooms not a bad size but bathroom small and not much hanging space. This morning there was no hot water.
- I had been given a bottle of champagne by my son which we were going to drink watching the game on the big screen yesterday but were told we couldn't...We then bought drinks in reception but these were very expensive.
Also I agree with the comment about the mini bar - there was only water in there so assumed it was complimentary..sadly not, £2.50 for a small bottle ...excessive. There was a notice but very hard to read.
Note on here that many people were able to check in early..again although I didn't try to check in until about 1.00- was unable to...this would really have helped as my elderly mother was with me.
Positive - the breakfast was good.
Not sure if I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I have had a chance to review your feedback and have taken note of your comments. I would personally apologise for the lack of hot water on Monday morning due to a technical issue. I am also sorry to notice you were not able to book in before the usual 2.00pm check in time. We do our utmost to clean the rooms as fast as possible to give early access but were not able to do so on this instance. I also hope you will understand we are not in a position to authorise our guests to bring their own drinks into our bar. Thank you very much for your review.

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just returned from a weekend, but used to live in the next street so know the area. This hotel is ideally placed for exploring York Centre and the rooms a re a reasonable size and clean. When I have stayed in Novotel hotels elsewhere the quality of the furniture, carpets etc seemed better. Some plumbing faults were rectified after a couple of hours, but no apologies. York is a great place to visit and this hotel is on the river, on the southern edge of the centre25 minutes walk from the station. It should be spruced up. There is a good choice of hotels in York - this is in the middle of the pile - average value for money - you should be comfortable there but not wowed !

Room Tip: The rooms high up at the back will give you a good view of the rivers Ouse and Foss, over the flooed...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I have had a chance to review your comments with the team and hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to York. Thank you again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Very nice (executive) room and the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. The menu in the restaurant is very limited and overpriced and I would advice not bothering with the £14 per head breakfast when there is a very new Weatherspoon's round the corner located under the travel lodge hotel.
Children stay for free so there were a lot of kids running round. If you are looking for a hotel with a decent pool then this is defiantly not the the hotel for you, it is very small and bit pointless to be honest. The car park is £10 per night, however, the hotel is only 5 minute walk from the city centre.

• Stayed January 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am pleased to read you found our team to be friendly and helpful. I am slightly disappointed about your disatisfaction about the price of breakfast, We do have lots of packages including breakfast which are great value for money taking into account the extend of our buffet on offer. With regards to the pool, it is 13m long by 6 m width. Thank you once again for your valuable comments. We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business and found it ideally located and well equipped. I've stayed in a number of novotels but this one whilst comfortable is just a little tired in the bedrooms. The service was excellent and the staff couldn't be more helpful. I would stay again

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank noodle1490
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your honest feedback. I would also like to thank you for using Novotels when travelling. I have noted your comments and would like to take this opportunity to confirm that we will carry on with our bedroom refurbishment in 2014. I am also delighted you found our team to be very helpful. Your review has been shared with the team. Thank you once again for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

The staff were incredibly friendly & helpful. In our party we had my folks in 1 room, cousins in another, and my husband and our 1-yr-old in our room. Every effort was made to welcome us during our stay. I was also very impressed with all the kid-friendly things in the lobby. The beds aren't great - but for the price, location and the indoor pool - we were very pleased.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Kristin W
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your review. I am very pleased you and your party had a good time and enjoyed your stay in York. I will certainly share your comments with the team as I am sure they will appreciate the praise. Thank you once again and I do hope we will have the pleasure to seeing you again in the future.

with kind regards,