“Excellent Weekend Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Excellent Weekend Stay”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay here at the end of January. From the friendly and helpful check in to the super quick checkout the staff were superb. We upgraded to an executive room, well worth the extra £20, especially if you're travelling with children as it includes free wifi and movies - there was also a Nespresso machine for Mum which got plenty of use. The rooms are clean and the bed was so comfortable I'm now looking for a new mattress at home. My only complaints about the room were the separate toilet (which is not a problem but there was no sink for hand washing) and a lack of wardrobe and storage space. We managed fine for a weekend but would have struggled if we'd been staying longer. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday, the food was excellent and reasonably priced and the staff efficient & attentive. There is a good kids' menu too. Breakfast was hot and plentiful and tasty. A warning to those travelling with kids - you may not get out of the hotel much! We had planned to do much more but once my son had sampled the pool it was very hard to keep him away - 4 swims in one weekend! There is also a small play area for little kids and a wii set up in the reception/bar area. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your very kind review. I am delighted you and your family had a good time whilst staying with us and have noted your comments. I have shared your review with the team. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Thank you once again.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My mother and I always enjoy York and our visit was enhanced by the choice of accommodation. Ideally placed for the various attractions the staff were courteous, helpful and patient. My mother and I both have mobility limitations and assistance was immediately available. The breakfast choices were numerous and the porridge was the best I have tasted this side of the Scottish border. Eating in the bar was also an enjoyable experience. Cleanliness and hygiene were first class and we had a room that slept 4 so plenty of room. I would recommend it to anyone whether the trip is one of leisure, business or involves children.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Good morning and many thanks for your comments. I am extremely pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotel. I have passed on your review to the team so that they can appreciate the importance of their hard work. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel York in the near future. Thank you once again.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you are visiting York for any reason this is probably as good a choice as any it is comfortable and near enough to everything you are likely to want to see for the average person to be able to walk to. The reception was very friendly and though we did not need any help i was confident we would have received had we asked. We did not eat in the hotel so can not comment on that but the room and bathroom etc were of a good standard. If you are staying try and get a room with a view of the river at the back i imagine its better than the view of the car park. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to friend and that's always a compliment.

Room Tip: try and get a view of the river. The rear of the hotel.
2 Thank Jimmy M
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a good time in York and delighted you would recommend us as a base. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you or your friends back to the hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Hi, my wife and I stayed at this Novotel last weekend. From the moment we signed in (late on Friday night) until when we signed out on the Monday we had an excellent time. The staff were ALL very helpful, the food from the restaurant was excellent!!! and the Fosters beer was LOVELY and ICE COLD :)

We had a room overlooking the River Ouse and the views were fantastic. We were there on a friday and saturday night and didn't hear a sound from fellow guests.

This was our first experience of Novotel hotels, and after this experience we will definitely be booking with them again. Next time we are visiting York (Easter hopefully) we will definitely be staying at this hotel

Tommy and Jane

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your very kind comments. I have passed them on to the team and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am to read them. We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Easter at the Novotel York. Wishing you all the best until then.

salisbury
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Well located being 10 minutes stroll from the city centre, yet quiet if your room is at the back overlooking the rivers. Very friendly and helpful staff, good breakfasts with a wide choice. Comfortable spacious room, good bathroom. Quiet warm swimming pool. Will definitely stay again. Next time we will try the Elements restaurant, the menu looked good.

1 Thank nigelbwilts
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and would consider using us again in the future. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Typical Novotel style....SLIGHTLY less polished than the Novotel I stayed at in Cardiff - although excellent friendly service & crisp, clean rooms. Great buffet style breakfast, reasonable parking rates for just off City Centre. Sadly didn't get to use the pool though!xx

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Vezzerelli
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Good morning. Many thanks for your comments and for using both Novotel York and Novotel Cardiff. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back in one of our hotels in th very near future. Thank you once again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is my second visit to this hotel. The first time I really enjoyed my stay and found the hotel welcoming and clean. On my last visit to York I stayed at the Cedar Court hotel and was very dissapointed (mainly with the arrogance of the staff and mistakes that were made with our room) and so I decided that this time I would return to the Novotel. Once again I was not dissapointed. Extremely friendly staff and a warm welcome awaited. The room was clean and spacious and had all the amenities that the Cedar Court offered (minus some lip balm and Molton Brown toiletries) but is more than half the price. It is a 10-15 minute walk into York town centre which I didn't find too bad and has a car park at the hotel which is £10 for 24 hours. My partner and I had a drink in the bar after dinner and enjoyed relaxing on the comfy chairs and watching a bit of tv in the lobby. It had a really nice atmosphere. Would probably stay here again next time I visit York.

1 Thank Jayne T
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Good afternoon. On behalf of the whole team here at the Novotel, I would like to thank you for your review. We are all delighted to read you enjoyed your second stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Thank you once again.