“Fabulous break”

GreenLeadersBronze level
bedford
“Fabulous break”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Novotel, York as my husband was working in York for a few days. This left myself and our pampered pooch Woofie to get up to no good! We had a fabulous time, I enjoyed the swimming pool, mainly empty, very much and the single TV dinner for one booths were really good idea. The reception area is very nice and if you have kids they have a wii bowling and x box and also another kids corner, this seemed like a good idea to me so parents don't just get stuck in the bedroom all night, they can have a drink, eat, watch tv and the kids can wear themselves out and flop onto the cosy couch chairs in their pyjamas, then be carried upstairs to bed.
I cannot thank the staff enough for their friendly efficient service, Waea was very helpful and always had a hello and how are you, even procuring me a hot chocolate when there were two huge conferences in the lounge and bar staff a bit busy. All the staff were very friendly to Woofie who enjoyed her stay immensely. Especially the very friendly Stephanie, i think that is the correct name . It took roughly seven mins to get to the town and there is so much to see. It was very flooded whilst we were there so no walks by the river for Woofie, but we very much hope Daddy will have business in York again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Good morning. I am delighted you had a good stay.... I however hope your husband did not work too hard but at the same time wishes he will have to come back so we can have the pleasure of having you and Woofie back to the hotel! Many thanks for your review. I will personally share it with the team as I am sure they will appreciate your feedback. We are all looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel previously and everything was excellent, thus swaying us to book here again for this Valentines day. We ordered room service on our first night and whilst it arrived quickly, the burger buns were soaked in grease. The room was clean but shabbier than I had remembered - scratched desk, burn hole I'm carpet and mucky walls in toilet room. Everything okay until we were getting ready to check our for 12 noon. First a maid knocked and asked us if we were ready - at 11.50 bearing in mind we only had to check out for 12. Then another lady knocked to ask us when we were checking out which we found rude and unnecessary and spoilt our last morning in York somewhat. On checking out, we were presented with a food bill for the ro service (which we had settled on the night of receiving it) and this took around fifteen minutes to resolve stood at reception. Staff were friendly but a few blunders made it slightly less enjoyable than last time.

Stayed February 2014
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Good morning and thank you for your review. I am very pleased you decided to stay with us again but obviously disappointed to read some of your comments. Please rest assured I will personally go through them with the housekeeping team so that we can avoid such situation in the future. I hope this will not deter you from using Novotel York again in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Novotel. Once again, fantastic staff, smooth check-in and immaculate room.

Our rate of £86 included breakfast which, as we discovered previously, is excellent. We were particularly impressed with the staff in the breakfast room and their attentive service.

We'll be back!!!!

• Stayed February 2014
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Good morning and many thanks for staying with us again. We are all so pleased to read you had another good experience with us and are looking forward to welcoming you back. the team joins me in wishing you all the best.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay here at the end of January. From the friendly and helpful check in to the super quick checkout the staff were superb. We upgraded to an executive room, well worth the extra £20, especially if you're travelling with children as it includes free wifi and movies - there was also a Nespresso machine for Mum which got plenty of use. The rooms are clean and the bed was so comfortable I'm now looking for a new mattress at home. My only complaints about the room were the separate toilet (which is not a problem but there was no sink for hand washing) and a lack of wardrobe and storage space. We managed fine for a weekend but would have struggled if we'd been staying longer. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday, the food was excellent and reasonably priced and the staff efficient & attentive. There is a good kids' menu too. Breakfast was hot and plentiful and tasty. A warning to those travelling with kids - you may not get out of the hotel much! We had planned to do much more but once my son had sampled the pool it was very hard to keep him away - 4 swims in one weekend! There is also a small play area for little kids and a wii set up in the reception/bar area. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your very kind review. I am delighted you and your family had a good time whilst staying with us and have noted your comments. I have shared your review with the team. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Thank you once again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My mother and I always enjoy York and our visit was enhanced by the choice of accommodation. Ideally placed for the various attractions the staff were courteous, helpful and patient. My mother and I both have mobility limitations and assistance was immediately available. The breakfast choices were numerous and the porridge was the best I have tasted this side of the Scottish border. Eating in the bar was also an enjoyable experience. Cleanliness and hygiene were first class and we had a room that slept 4 so plenty of room. I would recommend it to anyone whether the trip is one of leisure, business or involves children.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Good morning and many thanks for your comments. I am extremely pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotel. I have passed on your review to the team so that they can appreciate the importance of their hard work. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel York in the near future. Thank you once again.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you are visiting York for any reason this is probably as good a choice as any it is comfortable and near enough to everything you are likely to want to see for the average person to be able to walk to. The reception was very friendly and though we did not need any help i was confident we would have received had we asked. We did not eat in the hotel so can not comment on that but the room and bathroom etc were of a good standard. If you are staying try and get a room with a view of the river at the back i imagine its better than the view of the car park. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to friend and that's always a compliment.

Room Tip: try and get a view of the river. The rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jimmy M
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your review. I am pleased you had a good time in York and delighted you would recommend us as a base. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you or your friends back to the hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Hi, my wife and I stayed at this Novotel last weekend. From the moment we signed in (late on Friday night) until when we signed out on the Monday we had an excellent time. The staff were ALL very helpful, the food from the restaurant was excellent!!! and the Fosters beer was LOVELY and ICE COLD :)

We had a room overlooking the River Ouse and the views were fantastic. We were there on a friday and saturday night and didn't hear a sound from fellow guests.

This was our first experience of Novotel hotels, and after this experience we will definitely be booking with them again. Next time we are visiting York (Easter hopefully) we will definitely be staying at this hotel

Tommy and Jane

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your very kind comments. I have passed them on to the team and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am to read them. We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Easter at the Novotel York. Wishing you all the best until then.