“Prefect stay with kids”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Easy to find and when you park your car at the car park owned by the hotel, you don't have to drive again as it's a short walk to the city centre and very safe, the hotel is very clean and modern. The booking in at the reception was easy and quick, we were in room 425 got the lift then into the room which had a great comfortable large queen size bed and 2 sofa beds for the kids and separate toilet and bathroom tv and free wifi excellent.
Swimming pool is small and can get busy but great with the kids, and towels provided, brill...
Breakfast help yourself and with breakfast being the best meal of the day this is excellent one of the best I have had, kids eat free adults £13 , you can pay £7 down the road!
Parking £10 24hrs. There are numerous restaurants nearby but the best was called something like totos which is left out of the hotel then cross the road next to the cinema, kids loved it but you have to book. Forgot to say all the staff at the hotel were first class well done we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jasonWhitleyBay
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Good morning and thank you for your review. I am extremely pleased you had a good stay and found our team to be of assistance and friendly. I shall share your comments with them. I will also pass your fedback to the team at Toto's Restaurant as I am sure they will be very pleased to too! thank you once again and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back!

with kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Novotel York Centre

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my son for 3 nights from 18-21 february 2014.
Great first impressions when pulling up outside the hotel in a taxi from the station, neat & tidy grounds/building. We were greeted warmly by a friendly man at reception. He checked us in quickly & efficiently. As we'd arrived early our room wasn't quite ready, i said thats ok & he offered to store our cases while we went out. He put labels on each case & gave us the receipts.
When we came back later another man was at the desk & he gave us our key cards & told us when breakfast is etc. We went up to our room on the 2nd floor. The corridors all smelt like the paint/carpet was new. We went in our room which was well laid out & nice and clean. We had a view over the flood gate at the back of the hotel. There was a big queen size bed & a double sofa, this opened out into a bed for my son to sleep on. The bathroom was modern & nice & clean. The toilet was in a separate room to the shower/sink, which wasn't a problem.
We ate dinner in the elements restaurant each night. They had a buffet each night which was 3 courses. All the food was lovely & fresh and very tasty. There was a section for kids to make pizza, pancakes & chocolate fountain. The waitresses were all really friendly and would take the time to talk to my son & i.
We also had breakfast in the restaurant. This was continental & full english buffet. The waitresses/waiters bought you tea or coffee, the rest you helped yourself too , including juice. Again all the food was fresh & tasty and the hot food was hot.
The lobby/bar area was comfy and there was a wii & xbox and some other toys/books for the kids to play with. Prices at the bar are what you'd expect at a 4star hotel.

Overall we had a great stay and would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: February 2014
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am delighted you and your son had a good stay with us and hope you made the most of your visit to York. I have shared your comments with the whole team. We hope we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Booked to see the great and talented Newton Faulkner at the York Barbican and rather than travel home as we normally do, decided to stay overnight somewhere as close to the venue. It's two minutes walk! We didn't have breakfast here, or try the bar & restaurant however, if they're like the rest of the hotel then I'm sure they'd be ok.
It really is a great location, central to everything. It was a very friendly welcome, no hard sell for extras; room was clean with a great view over the river. However, my only issue is that its a bit too modernist and spartan. The room had no soul, it was functional, did what it's supposed to do I guess, but I would have preferred it to be less utilatarion with a few soft and homely touch's. So, if I was asked 'would I stay there again'... I would stay but I would look at other options too, and another hotel, maybe not so close to Barbican, might be have more 'viewing' appeal.

Room Tip: River views a must. We were lucky, we didn't ask and got one, but if I was to return I would req...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil O
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Good morning. Many thanks for your review and I hope you enjoyed your concert at the Barbican. I am pleased to read you had a good stay and taken on board your suggestions. I however hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here over half-term for three nights. 2 children in fold out sofa beds and 2 adults in large queen sized bed. Beds lovely and comfortable. Good desk for doing my sons homework on. Small fridge in room so very handy to put own milk and alcohol in. Toilet separate from bathroom. Very quiet location. Parking seems to be free though have signs up for paying at car park. Easy walk into town and also to walls to join walk around. Very close to a number of restaurants. We really enjoyed the moroccan just down the road.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, as we prefer to explore a bit.

I chose this hotel because of having a swimming pool And it is absolutely lovely. We had a swim over lunchtime today and had the pool to ourselves.

Would definitely come again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mrssnooks

Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments. I am pleased you and your family had a good stay with us. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you all back to Novotel York in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the Novotel, York as my husband was working in York for a few days. This left myself and our pampered pooch Woofie to get up to no good! We had a fabulous time, I enjoyed the swimming pool, mainly empty, very much and the single TV dinner for one booths were really good idea. The reception area is very nice and if you have kids they have a wii bowling and x box and also another kids corner, this seemed like a good idea to me so parents don't just get stuck in the bedroom all night, they can have a drink, eat, watch tv and the kids can wear themselves out and flop onto the cosy couch chairs in their pyjamas, then be carried upstairs to bed.
I cannot thank the staff enough for their friendly efficient service, Waea was very helpful and always had a hello and how are you, even procuring me a hot chocolate when there were two huge conferences in the lounge and bar staff a bit busy. All the staff were very friendly to Woofie who enjoyed her stay immensely. Especially the very friendly Stephanie, i think that is the correct name . It took roughly seven mins to get to the town and there is so much to see. It was very flooded whilst we were there so no walks by the river for Woofie, but we very much hope Daddy will have business in York again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Good morning. I am delighted you had a good stay.... I however hope your husband did not work too hard but at the same time wishes he will have to come back so we can have the pleasure of having you and Woofie back to the hotel! Many thanks for your review. I will personally share it with the team as I am sure they will appreciate your feedback. We are all looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel previously and everything was excellent, thus swaying us to book here again for this Valentines day. We ordered room service on our first night and whilst it arrived quickly, the burger buns were soaked in grease. The room was clean but shabbier than I had remembered - scratched desk, burn hole I'm carpet and mucky walls in toilet room. Everything okay until we were getting ready to check our for 12 noon. First a maid knocked and asked us if we were ready - at 11.50 bearing in mind we only had to check out for 12. Then another lady knocked to ask us when we were checking out which we found rude and unnecessary and spoilt our last morning in York somewhat. On checking out, we were presented with a food bill for the ro service (which we had settled on the night of receiving it) and this took around fifteen minutes to resolve stood at reception. Staff were friendly but a few blunders made it slightly less enjoyable than last time.

Stayed: February 2014
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Good morning and thank you for your review. I am very pleased you decided to stay with us again but obviously disappointed to read some of your comments. Please rest assured I will personally go through them with the housekeeping team so that we can avoid such situation in the future. I hope this will not deter you from using Novotel York again in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Novotel. Once again, fantastic staff, smooth check-in and immaculate room.

Our rate of £86 included breakfast which, as we discovered previously, is excellent. We were particularly impressed with the staff in the breakfast room and their attentive service.

We'll be back!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Good morning and many thanks for staying with us again. We are all so pleased to read you had another good experience with us and are looking forward to welcoming you back. the team joins me in wishing you all the best.