“Poor food service in bar, bad staff attitude”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I didn't stay here - fortunately - but had the misfortune to order a sandwich lunch here during a conference event. A gluten-free ham and cheese sandwich, how hard can it be if you've got GF bread?

I ordered and expected a sandwich i.e. a couple of slices of bread spread with butter and/or mayo filled with a slice of cold ham and some tasty Cheddar.

What turned up after a ten-minute wait was two HOT and very dry cardboardy rolls, with no butter, mayo, spread or moisture of any description, containing a thin slice of what at home we call "plastic ham" i.e. that nasty budget stuff, and some melted cheap and distinctly un-tasty yellow dairy gloop. Disgusting.

When I complained to the waitress she said "that's how it comes" as if that makes it acceptable to produce something the customer didn't order. When I asked her what she was going to do about it she offered to swap it for a packet of crisps!

Based on my lunch and the very variable quality canapes provided during the meeting events I would not want to use this as a conference base again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Good morning. Thank you for your review. I would imagine you are referring to a conference held at the beginning of the month. We do cook our Gluten Free bread when requested as I am sure you will appreciate that requests for such bread are not common and the bread would go very dry quickly. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen team and we will check how we can improve. With regards to the canapes you are referring to, I am also sure you are fully aware that we did produce what each organiser of each event asked us to do. So it is very clear that a full range of canapes was provided going from extremely simple ones to very elaborate ones... as per the orders. Thank you once again for your comments. I am however disappointed you feel this way on what was a rather special weekend and taking into account you did not stay with us, I would imagine you did not have the opportunity to really experience our usual high standards of customer service.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

To get my vote a hotel needs to get the basics right and nowadays Wifi comes quite high on my list. When a hotel advertises free wifi you expect it to be free, which it is, but you also expect to be able to connect. The wifi here simply will not work with either my iphone or my ipad.

I travel around on business and this is definitely not of 4 star standard.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Good morning. I am extremely surprised to read you could not connect to our free WIFI whilst staying with us. We rarely get issues having our customers connecting so I am frankly puzzled to know why you could not do so. Our WIFI is extremely reliable but I have passed on your comments to our provider to try to understand the reasons why. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The staff was so friendly and helpful, and the hotel was within walking distance of the main town, we found walking from the back of the hotel by the canal the quickest way to head into town
The hotel was spotless, rooms were good liked the fact the loo is in a different part from the shower.
The only thing I can say wasn't to bad was there were works going on in some rooms but this didn't start until 9.30 am and by that time we were on the move anyway.
I would use this hotel again and would recommended it to any one

Room Tip: As for a room with a river view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndMat62

Good morning. I just wanted to write to thank you for your kind comments. We are all very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Was recently at a conference, both staying at the hotel and arranging events here. I have to say the staff were amazing, dealing everything which was thrown at them (a great deal!) with aplomb and good humour.
The rooms were perfectly good, standard 4* business stuff, and the breakfast very good. Only quibble was the lack of a decent beer, except in a bottle!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Good morning. On behalf of the team here at the Novotel York, I would like to thank you for staying and organising your event with us. I have passed on your comments to the team so that they can appreciate their hard work has not gone unoticed. I have also fed back to our head office your comments with regards to the beer on draft and we will enquire if we can extend our lines. Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to our beautiful city.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We spent 2 nights in this hotel as we were in York for tourism. We enjoyed a lot the stay as: 1.- Friendly and helpful staff. 2.- Good location 3.- Nice hotel 4.- Really good breakfast .
We loved York and if we come back, we will stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Good morning. I am delighted to read you had a good break in York and found our team to be helpful and friendly. I will certainly share your views with all involved. I am looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel just last weekend. For the price that we payed to stay in the hotel we got good value for money. My first gripe with the hotel was that the bar does not cater for pregnant visitors as they did not offer non-alcoholic beverages such as beers or wines. Although they have the usual coke and fruit juice, there is only so much of this you can drink. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk staff, she offered to go to the shop for me asking what I would like. This is more then accomodating in my opinion. Very friendly staff all round and breakfast offered very good value for products available.

Good morning and many thanks for your comments. I hope you made the most of your hen weekend and would like to wish you all the best for the future. I am very pleased to read our team was helpful and I will review your feedback with our food and beverage manager to stock some non alcoholic beers too. Thank you once again for your valuable input.