“Just what the Dr. ordered, fantastic relaxing break.”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I booked this hotel on a whim last minute as my Fiance & I were in need of a rest and I can't tell you how pleased I am that I did! Having read the reviews after I booked I was slightly concerned that having spent £272 for a 2 night b&b stay I'd potentially "wasted" a lot of money but I promise it was worth every penny. We stayed in room 320, which was just what we were after, gogd clean comfortable queen-size bed, lovely clean modern shower room and spacious. All the things you expect in a Novotel were provided and more. There is a parking charge but we found this perfectly reasonable and easy to use. The swimming pool is small but not too small as some have said, my Fiance and I had a little swim on Saturday morning, we had the pool to ourselves and we both managed to have a good few relaxing laps. The breakfast is one of the best buffet breakfasts I have had in a hotel - catered for everyone, I was delighted to see vegetarian sausages both mornings and we had a lovely filling breakfast both mornings - I see that someone mentioned the price of breakfast and suggested Wetherspoons up the road but trust me it's worth the extra few pounds to stay and have your breakfast in the hotel - breakfast is on until 11am which is wonderful if you like a little lie-in on a weekend as we did! The best part of the hotel I have to say is the staff. They are pleasant, efficient and polite at all times. I asked for decaf tea/coffee for our room and was provided with them straight away. If you have any queries on the surrounding area the reception team are more than happy to assist. We did find that we lost the wifi connection at times, however 3G was available and there are plenty of other connection facilities within the hotel. We paid for the £9.99 in-room package, which was worth it as we viewed two movies (Capitain Phillips/Jackass Bad Grandpa) and made use of the on-demand music - again, worth paying for if like us you enjoy a movie in bed! If you are looking for somewhere comfortable, within walking distance of York city centre and extremely helpful staff then you'll not go wrong with here. We will definitely be staying again, certainly if we can get a deal/special offer - so Mr. Manager if you are reading this please feel free to email me with any special weekend deals to lure us back! Thank you to all the staff.

2  Thank clairabella_p
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Good morning and many thanks for your review. I have passed on your thanks to the team and many were very pleased to read they contributed in making your break a successful one. We are obviously all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com and I will add you on to our mailing lists for our special offers (I am unable to access your details through Tripadvisor). Many thanks once more.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed here for a weekend attending a conference. The best thing about this hotel was the service which was friendly and helpful. I ordered room service which although overpriced was quite nice food.
I was shocked by how dilapidated the rooms were - they were really tacky in style with old-fashioned ugly colour schemes - they really need a total re-fit. I would not stay here for a relaxing weekend away as the rooms as bog standard.
Also, the TV and lighting was very limited.
This hotel is not value for money if you're paying for a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Good morning and thank you for your review. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. There is an ngoing refurbishment programme taking place at the hotel which includes works in our bedrooms. At this moment in time, we are in the process of changing all of the windows of the hotel. We will also have brand new TVs with a much wider selection of channels by the end of the week too. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Novotel hotel does exactly what you expect a chain hotel to do. The rooms were clean and had all of the expected amenities. The staff were friendly and accommodating. The Novotel is a 10min walk from the centre of York, which makes it perfectly located for all of York's delights.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lumpsy

Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very happy to read you found our team to be friendly and helpful and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Novotel York Centre on the weekend of 14 to 16 March 2014 to celebrate his 50th birthday.

The hotel is very clean with polite and friendly staff. Rooms are spacious and clean with all the facilities you need for a comfortable city break. Our room was adjacent to the lift and we thought it might have been noisy. However, our room had an additional door which closed off the bedroom from the bathroom/toilet and corridor leading to the outside landing meaning we heard no noise and had two good nights sleep.

The bathroom was well equipped with a lovely walk in shower and soap, shampoo and shower gel were provided.

There was plenty of choice for breakfast ranging from cereal, fruit, yoghurt, bread, pastries and full English. Plenty of choice of drinks, tea, coffee, juice or bottled water.

The hotel is a short walk to the city centre, which I have to say is beautiful, with all its history and historic buildings! We had a fantastic time soaking it all up.

We didn't have lunch or evening meal at the hotel as York boasts a plentiful supply of restaurants and bars.

The only downside was the price of parking at £22.00 for a two day stay. The hotel is not the cheapest and I think that the cost of parking should be free.

Overall, we have a wonderful stay and my husband has some nice memories of his 50th birthday. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 226 was lovely
1  Thank Alyson_Henderson

Good morning. First I would like to pass on our best wishes to your husband for his 50th Birthday. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. it is much appreciated. I am very pleased you had a good weekend and hope you made the most of your viisit to York. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hi folks,
Just had a lovely short break in the historic city of York, we stayed in the Novotel hotel,
And I must say it is one of the best we have stayed in. The staff so friendly and always ready to assist you in any way.the chef Paul a lovely big fella comes out the kitchen to see if you are happy
With your meal, nothing is a bother to him.well done Paul.
The staff are among the best we have ever met. So if you are coming to York you must try
Novotel Hotel
That is it folks

Bye. Alberto

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the river
1  Thank Alberto N
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful city. I will personally share your comments with Paul later on this morning and with the rest of the team. Thank you once again for staying with us and we all hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I didn't stay here - fortunately - but had the misfortune to order a sandwich lunch here during a conference event. A gluten-free ham and cheese sandwich, how hard can it be if you've got GF bread?

I ordered and expected a sandwich i.e. a couple of slices of bread spread with butter and/or mayo filled with a slice of cold ham and some tasty Cheddar.

What turned up after a ten-minute wait was two HOT and very dry cardboardy rolls, with no butter, mayo, spread or moisture of any description, containing a thin slice of what at home we call "plastic ham" i.e. that nasty budget stuff, and some melted cheap and distinctly un-tasty yellow dairy gloop. Disgusting.

When I complained to the waitress she said "that's how it comes" as if that makes it acceptable to produce something the customer didn't order. When I asked her what she was going to do about it she offered to swap it for a packet of crisps!

Based on my lunch and the very variable quality canapes provided during the meeting events I would not want to use this as a conference base again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Good morning. Thank you for your review. I would imagine you are referring to a conference held at the beginning of the month. We do cook our Gluten Free bread when requested as I am sure you will appreciate that requests for such bread are not common and the bread would go very dry quickly. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen team and we will check how we can improve. With regards to the canapes you are referring to, I am also sure you are fully aware that we did produce what each organiser of each event asked us to do. So it is very clear that a full range of canapes was provided going from extremely simple ones to very elaborate ones... as per the orders. Thank you once again for your comments. I am however disappointed you feel this way on what was a rather special weekend and taking into account you did not stay with us, I would imagine you did not have the opportunity to really experience our usual high standards of customer service.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

To get my vote a hotel needs to get the basics right and nowadays Wifi comes quite high on my list. When a hotel advertises free wifi you expect it to be free, which it is, but you also expect to be able to connect. The wifi here simply will not work with either my iphone or my ipad.

I travel around on business and this is definitely not of 4 star standard.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Good morning. I am extremely surprised to read you could not connect to our free WIFI whilst staying with us. We rarely get issues having our customers connecting so I am frankly puzzled to know why you could not do so. Our WIFI is extremely reliable but I have passed on your comments to our provider to try to understand the reasons why. Thank you for your feedback.