“Skip it! ”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“Skip it! ”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

On the pro side it's an easy 10 mins walk into York centre, there are a few restaurants and pubs much closer to eat out in; it has a nice pool... And the staff were quick to respond when asked for help....But that's about it.

It's expensive for the standard of room - shabby and aged now; hotel parking is ridiculous if leaving your car there for 24 hours while you walk about town; we had to move rooms as the bathroom was inaccessible due to an overhead work hatch being left hanging down; hotel provided cot was ripped and dirty (sheets clean but had to pad with towels as the frame was digging through the broken base); not a great deal of soundproofing so if you can hear next doors kids scream they can hear yours too. If not in package then breakfast is overpriced, local pub is half the price - so walk for it instead. Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank KaosSquid
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am sorry to read you would not use us again and have taken your comments on board. I have asked for all our cots to be inspected as soon as your other survey you filled in came back to us. Please rest assured that cots not suitable will be removed if found. I have also taken on board your other comments. Thank you once again for your review.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Overall, Room was first class, Evening meal very good, staff friendly and
helpful, Good location to centre, Almost perfect,but really good !!!!.A great city with lots to see, and a wonderful hotel which both compliment each other.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank leonardo311044
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Good morning. Thank you so much for your very kind comments. I have shared them with the team and we are all pleased you had a great time whilst visiting our beautiful city. We all hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to York as there is so much to do all year round. Many thanks once again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

got all that was expected, ideally located (for our requirements) staff friendly enough, rooms alright spacious, beds comfortable enough, was very hungover at breakfast, so cant really comment but i did eat it all, cant comment on value, as room was paid for by a friend, would stay again if in area, if it was cheap enough,
sadly no wow factor or lasting impression made

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ben t
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Good morning. Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you came away satisfied and hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to the hotel. Wishing you all the best.

Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,132 helpful votes
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stay quite often in Accor group hotels, but this was our first at this Novotel. It is on the edge of the city, though reached fairly easily by bus 44 from Railway Station and 15 mins walk from the shopping streets.
Overall impression was of a good mid-range hotel. Friendly reception on arrival and on check out. We had room 129 overlooking the entrance drive in, which had standard Novotel double bed and convertible settee. We used both and found them comfortable.
Bathroom had a walk in shower which functioned in a straightforward manner, but had no soap dish or anywhere to put shower gel/shampoo. Getting in and out required care, as only the towel rail to hang onto.
Complimentary water in small fridge.
TV selections included no news chanels or any non-UK ones as far as I could find. Bearing in mind the number of foreign visitors in York, this omission seems a trick missed.
Breakfast was basic. Only sliced bread (unless you waited for crusty baguettes to be defrosted) and mostly tinned fruit (why oranges from a tin these days?) and only plastic-wrapped cheeses. We can do much better than this!
We paid £129 for the one night. Fair value.

Room Tip: Double glazing meant front-facing rooms were quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Good morning and many thanks for your comments. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. I am however slightly surprised at your comments with regards to breakfast and will investigate them further. It is true we do provide some tinned fruits but also we do have a fresh fruit basket. With regards to bread, we do also provide baguettes and bagels on top of the selection of sliced breads. Once again, I will investigate your review and check if it was temporarely out on the buffet. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we do hope to see you again soon in one of our properties.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We had booked a standard twin room, but when i saw how small the beds were i immediately went to reception to ask to change to a double, the staff at the front desk were lovely i got an upgrade no bother at all, the hotel is spotless, and the breakfast was delicious, my husband said thhe water in the pool was warm, a delightful place to stay if visiting york, would definately recommend.there are workmen putting windows in at the moment but they dont start drilling untill 9am, which is fine as you want to be up and about anyway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your review. I hope you made the most of your visit to York. It is true we are currently changing all of our windows at the moment. Works are expected to be finished by the end of the week and we hope our guests will enjoy the much better sound proofing! It was a pleasure having you with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Just returned a day early from this hotel as couldn't face another night not being able to sleep! Noisiest hotel I have stayed in and when we arrived for breakfast the first morning there was hardly anything left at 9.30! Would also be a good idea to tell guests when workmen will be in their room when they are out! On a plus side the staff were very friendly and hotel was clean but don't think it warrants 4 star rating!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Good morning. Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read you had a bad stay due to noise. Please feel free to contact me directly on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com so that I can gather which room you stayed in and carry out further investigations on the cause of the noise. I would imagine you refernce to the workers is linked to the fact we have changed all of our TVs this week. Please rest assured that a member of our team was on hand to supervise the quick change around. I am however pleased to read you found our team friendly and helpful. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel York in the future.

Rainhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here this weekend (22nd March) in a Hen party group of 18. I had booked through an events company but had personally spoke on the phone to Reception staff previous to the visit. I must say I can not fault the actual hotel in anyway- the rooms were very clean and very well equipped. The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. The staff were very friendly and polite. Our problem was that no one seem to know anything! We had booked a spa day for the Sunday (23rd)- where a mobile therapist came to the hotel. Therefore we had booked a meeting room where the treatments and lunch was to take place. To start off the morning we were all having breakfast together as we had be ready for the spa day. So I personally arranged (about 2-3 weeks before the event) with reception staff a table reservation for 18 for breakfast. The day before the event (Friday 21st) I rang the hotel to check all of these details to be told that it was all ok. On the Sunday morning when we went down for breakfast- no one knew anything about the table reservation. However they did manage to seat us all together. Whilst eating breakfast, I received a phone call from the therapists asking me to meet her in reception as the staff did not know what they were therefore. When I arrived they asked me what meeting room they were in. It is not like I work at the hotel- I thought that would have been the job of the hotel staff??? Then a lady at the bar said she would take us- which she did. She told us it was all ready- but there was nothing in the room. I asked where was we meant to eat lunch. I mean was we expected to sit on the floor? As there was no tables and chairs. I had to ask for tables and chairs and tell her how many. She then had to start dragging tables and chairs from another room. I had to tell her what to do and where to put the tables. I am pretty sure that was not my job?? While she is doing this the therapists were stood there waiting to be be able to set up! Afterwards the therapists commented on how bad the organisation was. She said and I quote "it is the worst hotel we have been to, they don't seem to know what they are doing. It is not like it is a travel lodge or anything, It is meant to be a 4 star hotel! Well that just summed it up really. It was complete chaos which was such a shame as everything else was perfect!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle T
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. First, I am very pleased to read you found the hotel and the team to be helpful and friendly. I am obviously very disappointed to read you felt we were disorganised. The room was set up as per the requirements issued by the agent you used to make the booking. We were advised the therapist would set up their own equipments when at the hotel. We will however ensure that we require the contact details of the therapist so that we can check the requirements before their arrival. With regards to the table reservations, please accept our apologies. Thank you once again for your review.