“Nice but overpriced”

Reviewed 17 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Sam T
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,525)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very friendly helpful and courteous staff, rooms clean and well tended. Pool a bit small but fine for kids.
Food plentiful. Excellent position for exploring the city, close to river with spendid walks

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Ewan C

Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments. I will pass it on to our teams. We all hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Very convenient to York city centre.
Decent rooms.
The buffet dinner offer in the hotel restaurant is very disappointing (although children making own pizza and chocolate fountain was a hit for them).

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Simon B
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Good morning and thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and that the children made the most of our pizza making station and chocolate fountain. I will also share your comments with our Food and Beverage Team with regards to the buffet. Please do not hesitate to contact me on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com should you wish to give me more details giving us the opportunity to better investigate. Thank you once again and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Thomas W
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here Nov 13 booked a wheelchair accessible room nice room but bathroom didnt have a wet room , had to ask for a bath seat . Food was good and catered for gluten free diets . Good location Within easy walking distance of city centre

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon. Many thanks for your kind review. I am very pleased you had a good stay back in November and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to York and our hotel.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here in April 2014. Friendly staff put me in a room above construction work (room beneath us was being refurbished) - noise started at 8.45 am, was very loud. When I complained the staff argued with me whether it had started at 8.45 or 9am. Staff offered to move us to room 2 floors away from the noise - but by then I'd been woken up and my chilled out morning crashed. Then offered to 'do something for me' - which they didn't. Toilet in the room smelt of sewage. Breakfast room floor was sticky. Other customers were arguing with staff on way out about being charged even though they were unhappy - staff told them you're still being charged full price. I wouldn't stay here again - far nicer hotels just as close to town without the grief.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Good morning. I am very sorry to read your experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion. It is true we had a refurbishment programme in place with our contractors starting works from 9.00am up until 5.00pm to minimise disruption to our guests. these works have now been completed. I am obviously sorry to read it did affect your stay as you had planned to relax. Please accept my sincere apologies. I have also passed on your comments to our restaurant manager with regards to the floor being sticky during the service. I can imagine there must have been some kind of spillage during the service itself. Thank you for sharing these with me as it will give us an opportunity to further improve.

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

On the pro side it's an easy 10 mins walk into York centre, there are a few restaurants and pubs much closer to eat out in; it has a nice pool... And the staff were quick to respond when asked for help....But that's about it.

It's expensive for the standard of room - shabby and aged now; hotel parking is ridiculous if leaving your car there for 24 hours while you walk about town; we had to move rooms as the bathroom was inaccessible due to an overhead work hatch being left hanging down; hotel provided cot was ripped and dirty (sheets clean but had to pad with towels as the frame was digging through the broken base); not a great deal of soundproofing so if you can hear next doors kids scream they can hear yours too. If not in package then breakfast is overpriced, local pub is half the price - so walk for it instead. Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank KaosSquid

Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am sorry to read you would not use us again and have taken your comments on board. I have asked for all our cots to be inspected as soon as your other survey you filled in came back to us. Please rest assured that cots not suitable will be removed if found. I have also taken on board your other comments. Thank you once again for your review.