“Pleasant stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nice hotel we stayed for 2 nights
Staff are helpful especially the French bar man who works in the evening he made us feel very welcome
The only downside is no air conditioning in the room and with 3 of us in the room it soon became vary warm and it was quite noisy with the window open however I would definatly
Stay here again breakfast was very well organised and with a children's area the kiddies didn't get bored

2 Thank Caazem
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am very pleased to read you had a good stay with us and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Thank you once again.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Warm welcome at reception, and a decent enough rate secured through booking.com. Quite disappointed with the small swimming pool which we were not motivated to make use of. Our room was ok, though was a little worn and musty. The cleaning staff really do need to pay attention to the orange mould on the grout in the bathroom. Nothing dire, but I always expect a hotel bathroom to be as clean if not cleaner than my own, this certainly wasn't! A quiet night made for a peaceful sleep and breakfast was fine. We got lucky with the weather and the riverside walk was pleasant. I would imagine the distance from hotel to town in poor weather would be a bit of a nuisance. On balance, I wished I had paid more and booked a central hotel, although the sheer number of families with children attest to the Novotel being a good budget option.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shrinkray
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am glad to read you had a good stay and passed on your points to our housekeeping team. I am sure the appropriate steps will be taken to solve the issue. Thank you once again for sharing your experience and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to York soon.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had a wonderful 3 night stay here with our children. The staff are incredibly friendly in a very relaxed and fun way - they look as if they actually enjoy their jobs. You feel instantly welcome and relaxed, even when you've had a long difficult drive into the city, battling the terrible traffic and roadworks.
The pool was of course the draw for us, plus the low price of the room, but we didn't know that the hotel would be such a characterful place. I was expecting to be 'satisfied' with a corporate bland kind of place, so I was amazed by the atmosphere. The Foyer/Bar area has a little Play Area full of toys to suit various ages. There was also an XBox Kinnect screen, and a Wii, plus computers you could use with a free amount of wifi. The kids all played nicely together and took turns with the computer games when we were there. Apparently there is an outdoor play area too, but the weather wasn't good enough for us to experience it. When some children became a bit noisy, the receptionist came up with a cunning ploy to quieten them down, by getting them to do a drawing competition, and it really worked.
We all slept very well too - the beds appear to be 'memory foam' which my aching back really enjoyed.
Also, the city centre really is very close, and less than the 15 mins quoted.
My only niggles are this:
The car park is not free. You need to add £11 per day to your bill when you book here.
We found the place a bit too warm in the mornings.
The children's beds in our family room were a nuisance. They took up so much space in the room, that there was little room for manouvre. They have lots of metal bars sticking out of them at every angle and we were all banging our legs, shin bones and ankles into them. I found it very uncomfortable to sit at the desk and blow dry my hair with fixed hotel drier. I have stayed in other family rooms and prefer the more usual double pull out sofa bed. Goodness knows how the chamber maids cope. having to change the sheets on these 'instruments of torture'.
All in all though, I would recommend this hotel because the staff are amazing. Whatever they're being payed, they should get a rise !

3 Thank Agatha D
Good morning and many thanks for your kind comments. I have passed on your comments to the team... All have now been asking for a pay rise!!! Thank you so much as your comments go a very long way in recognising their hard work but also their excellent attitude towards their customers, colleagues and jobs. I hope we will have the pleasure to seeing you again in the future.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel had a wonderful atmosphere and it was full of such well behaved families. There was plenty for the children to do with games, computers, play area, swimming pool and it was in easy walking distance to the city. The breakfast was also excellent.

1 Thank sennofer
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Good afternoon. Thank you very much for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to York.

Molde, Norway
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Novotel is located in Fishergate, that is outside of the city walls. Anyway, York is a city made for walking so it is only 5-10 minutes to Clifford`s tower and about 20 minutes to the Yorkminster. Bootham Crescent, the home of York footballclub is a 40 minute walk from the hotell. You will need a cab if you are comming by train to York.

I stayed for 10 days and it the weekends were very different from the week days. During the week the guests were business people and the hotell was quiet. During the week ends the families came to visit and the hotell was more "lively". It was not a big problem because of nice people, but you have no problem to hear anything going on outside your room. It is not sound proof. However, I stayed on the 4th floor and could not hear any noise from the bar.

Most of the room was nice, but the toalet looked like something you will expect to find at a railway station. The bathtube was not cleaned more than perhaps 1-2 times during my stay.

You could choose free wifi, but with a lot lower speed compared to other hotels I have visited recently. It was also irritating to have to reconnect 3-4 times per day, it should be enough wit one time per day.

On the good side, the room was well equiped and it had plenty tv stations to choose between.

The service was ok at arrivel and very, very good at breakfast and in the bar. The breakfast menu is good with both English and continental breakfast. However, the check out was not the experince I expected. Firstly I had to go into an office to find someone to help me, while the cab was waiting outside, secondly the receptionist had not spoken to the travel agency about me leaving a day early, something I spoke to him about ten days earlier. To top this I had to pay 55 P for a newspaper which mysterious appeared in front of my door one (out of ten) morning. A smal amount, but it feels someway like "Fawlty Towers"

Room Tip: As high as possible.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Good afternoon and many thanks for your review following your long stay with us. I am pleased to read your comments with regards to the breakfast and have made a note of your other comments with regards to your check out. Please rest assured these will be shared with the reception team. I hope you have had a good journey back home and hope we will be able to welcome you back should you decide to visit York again. thank you once again.

London
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed here in April for 2 nights with my Mum and 2 teenage nieces. We had a lovely stay. I am not very child-friendly but was very impressed with how the hotel was catering for children. The reception area had a lovely atmosphere and given more time we would have enjoyed relaxing in there. As we had booked as a family, our room was very cramped, but comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with a good variety. One observation was that the food was located a long way from the kitchen so the staff had a lot of walking to do to keep the stocks replenished. Also the kids were loving the waffles and maple syrup, but, as the waffles were cold, they were trying to toast them which was causing problems. The hotel is located a little way from the city centre with a tricky road to cross. We went on The Ghost Hunt which was very entertaining and still has us giggling now. We ate in the Pizza Express on Museum Street on the Monday and Tuesday night. The food and service was brilliant on the Monday night, and not so good on the Tuesday night which was perplexing! York is a lovely place to visit with loads of winding streets and interesting shops.

1 Thank MaryFrost
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments. I am delighted you had a good stay and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back. We are currently working on plans to redesign our restaurant and we will certainly make sure the buffet is closer to the kitchen. Thank you once again for your valuable comments.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights on the last leg of a tour around north England. I travelled with my husband and two kids (6 & 3). We had stayed in the hotel 4 years ago and had thoroughly enjoyed it and were looking forward to our stay. However, we found the following:
1. A very cloudy swimming pool. So cloudy you couldn't see when swimming under water
2. Pool water full of hair
3. Step off pool ladder hanging off. It broke when my husband stood on it leaving a twist sharp end
4. A huge pile of used towels at the entrance to the pool dumped by other guests and not dealt with by housekeeping team
5. Ladies toilets on ground floor had a leak. Water all over floor.
6. Floors in reception area and restaurant so sticky. Couldn't walk anywhere without making a disgusting noise
7. Corridor on 4th floor looks like a prison.
8. Windows on 4th floor room ar apx 4ft off ground. Kids couldn't look out of them. Doesn't make for a nice light environment in the room.
9. Dated over painted wallpaper in the room.
10. On a two night stay, toilet rolls were not replenished, neither were the hand towels even though they were put in the bath.
11. Very poorly handmade table numbers on tables in restaurant. Looks like they have been written with a kids felt tip pen. Most splattered with grease.
12. Chairs in restaurant in dire need of replacement. Chunks missing from the legs.

Some may think that I am moaning, but I have never commented on trip advisor before as I am a pretty laid back person who is easily pleased. I would think twice before booking.......seriously!

Room Tip: Apparently there are superior room. They can only be better than the inferior room we had.
1 Thank YCurran
Good afternoon and many thanks for your comments. I am obviously disappointed your experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion and have gone through your points with our team. Please rest assured we have taken the necessary steps to ensure some of the issues will not reoccur in the future. Some other are very much out of character but have still been investigated. I would like to personally apologise for some of the shortfalls you experienced. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

With kind regards