“Allright hotel, but don't use the swimming pool”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel has a really nice lobby, and our room was quite nice. The only problem was the separate room for the toilet. This toilet room looked really old and made me feel I was on an school trip to an old guest house, and not a hotel we payed quite a lot for. We had looked forward to using the swimming pool. This was a mistake. The water was ice cold and we couldn't see the bottom because of all the dirt. There were hairs and other things floating around. In addition, there was a group of kids jumping from the edge and made a lot of noise. Kids should have fun, but it went a bit far when they also started taking the chair mattresses into the water - these were not water tight, and I guess they got a nice wash (they had a parent watching, but she didn't care). It could be an idea with a hotel responsible checking in from time to time. Our stay improved when we got very nice service on the last night. The receptionist was very helpful and let us print out our boarding cards for our flight the next morning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Good morning. Many thanks for your review as it will be invaluable in assisting us to keep improving on our service delivery. I would like to apologise for the state of the pool and will investigate further. We are aware the water got cloudy for a small period of time but all our readings were fine. I will however reiterate your comments to our reception team so that we can better manage children through a better understanding of their parents. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel for birthday break which was great but on last day decided to have breakfast, bad decision!! The cooked breakfast was swimming in fat & cold. The toaster wasnt working properly & had to stand in a queue to get a pale looking piece of toast. The previous days we had eaten out in York centre & had much better quality food at a far more reasonable price.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon. Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to read you had a good stay but am disappointed to read about your experience at breakfast. We do usually pride ourselves on our high quality breakfast. I will certainly review your comments with our Head Chef to ensure this was a one off. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention giving me the opportunity to take the necessary steps. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back though.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here Saturday/Sunday with our 4 year old daughter. Booked a superior (standard?) family room and this was adequate and clean. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful and especially welcoming to children - gave her a few little gifts upon checking in. Restaurant very overpriced so we chose to eat elsewhere. Unfortunately, although the rooms and hotel in general are of decent standard we simply would not stay here again. The noise from the function suite was ridiculous and if was impossible to get to sleep until this stopped. We complained to reception and they did apologise and say they would "speak to the dj" but this made no difference as the music continued at the same level. I understand that hotels offer function suites but this should not be at the expense of other guests. They should have adequate soundproofing to ensure other guests are not disturbed. We were on the 3rd floor so the noise must have been worse for those on lower floors. Location could be better too. It is reasonably central but just a bit too far out of the way, especially if you have children. We paid £250 for 2 nights and felt ripped off seeing as we were unable to enjoy a decent sleep due to noise. Would not recommend staying here if you want to get to sleep at a decent time.

• Stayed: May 2014

Good morning and many thanks for your review. I am sorry to read your stay was disturbed by one of the function we had at the hotel but understand that a refund has already been made when you raised your concerns with our Duty Manager. Please accept my apologies. I hope you will however give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel so that you can fully appreciate our services.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

It's hard to say anything remotely original about the York Novotel since, as other reviewers have pointed out, standards of accommodation are consistently high and the staff are invariably pleasant and attentive. Time and time again we read that 'nothing was too much trouble' for them, and that from the moment we arrived 'we were made to feel especially welcome'. All I can hope to do for those thinking of visiting this warm-hearted establishment is confirm that in fact it is all true! There really is a personal touch here, and I must say that I was surprised and delighted to be greeted by name and room number at breakfast on the morning after my arrival. I think that's rather special don't you? Speaking of breakfast, I have often found that it can be the weakest link in the hotel experience. But not here. Variety, quality and service were superb, and everything was efficiently topped-up when necessary. Indeed,the fried eggs gained a special mention from my wife - something of a fried egg connoisseur! If I must make one little criticism, however, (in order not to be thought of as being too easy to please), it would involve the dawdling toasters Have you ever known a lengthier process in order to obtain a nice slice of toast? - I haven't. Still, I'm most certainly not going to knock off a star for that. It's a splendid place. Don't dither. Go there!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank scherzo09

Good afternoon. Thank you very much for your comments. I am delighted to read you had a good stay and have shared your review with the team. All are very pleased to read they could make a difference to your stay. I have also noted your review with regards to the toaster and we will look into the matter straight away. Thank you very much for your review. We all hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

One of the best hotels I've stayed at. Very friendly staff, highly professional and committed. Great hotel, fabulous location - an easy 5 minute walk along the river to the city centre and if you're lucky you'll have a view over the river from your room. This is a fabulous hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Patrick_542013

Good afternoon and many thanks for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you made the most of your visit to York. I will certainly share your comments with the team as I know they will appreciate reading them. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you are booking a Novotel you generally know what you are getting. This one is situated just outside the city walls and is 10 min walk into the centre. It's very easy to find off the main road into the city, down a residential street. It has its own private outdoor car park, which is £12 per 24 hrs.. You don't need to book it. There is a Q park 5-7 mins walk away which may be cheaper. It has a swimming pool, the entrance to which is by reception, but once in there are changing rooms so you don't need to walk thro the hotel in your cozzies! Quite small pool but ok for a breif up and down. Breakfast is the usual Novotel buffet with all possible tastes taken care of. I think it's cheaper if you book on line when you book a room.What marked this hotel out and the reason I gave 5 stars and not 4 is the staff. I have to say everyone was very friendly, chatty but professional and very helpful: especially reception and the guy behind the bar (possibly French). It makes a real difference to what is a large chain. If you are visting the University it's a 10-15 min walk. Would certainly use again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank reesyp

Good morning. Thank you very much for your comments. I have passed them on to our team to read and I am sure they will be pleased and will appreciate the recognition of their hard work. I hope we will have the pleasure to seeing you again in the future. Thank you very much once again.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I could find no faults with thus hotel. We arrived early but the kids could play on an Xbox or wii - that was a massive bonus for us. Hotel was spotless, rooms spotless and comfy. Hotel had a small pool that was great for the kids. There was a very nice riverside walk into town. The staff at the hotel were lovely, very friendly, attentive and helpful. We had breakfast there and although a bit pricey the kids ate free. The food was very good and quite varied. I will return here and would recommend this hotel. My tip would be to go when kids are not off school as the hotel and city were very busy.

Room Tip: Our rooms overlooked the river and we had no problems, so maybe ask for a riverside room.