“Family holiday”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Family holiday”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a very enjoyable stay in this hotel, the room was spotless and the staff are very friendly.
The only problem with this hotel was the pool! although it was very clean they temperature was sooo cold!!! they need to heat it up a bit especially for the kids.
The breakfast was ok, not great for veggies unless you want fruit and toast! The cooked breakfast was eggs, eggs and more erm eggs!! However great choice for meat eaters!
Great location however!
Will definitely return :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Good morning and many thanks for your comments. I am very pleased to read you would consider us again for a return visit and am looking forward to welcoming you back. Thank you once again.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Firstly, the positives; Good location, quiet area of York, friendly staff, lovely breakfast and generally clean and comfortable. Nice pool, albeit small.
Now the negative; Although it was 22 Degrees C in York this week, the corridors and rooms were just so hot! I had to sleep on top of the bed rather than in it as the window would only open 6 inches due to health and safety in case I wished to launch myself into the car park to cool down. There were 5 people in my party, all staying separately, and each of us agreed that it was just too hot. When the reception staff say 'oh, would you like a fan? We get lots of requests for those', then it doesn't bode well. To think how hot the rooms may be in July and August...! Invest in air-conditioning please!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Anthony S
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Good morning. Thank you very much for your review. I have had a chance to go through your feedback and am pleased to read about the positives points you acknowledged. I have also had the opportunity to review your comments with our Maintenance Manager with regards to the heat in the hotel. Please rest assured we will investigate this fully and take the necessary corrective actions. Thank you once again for bringing this matter to my attention.

London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Positives:
-Well located
-Friendly staff
-reasonable food, very generous portions
-porridge

Negatives (of which the list kept growing):
-Uncomfortable bed that sinks about a foot when you sit or lie on it - if you are looking for a supportive mattress this ain't the one - more like a camping bed.
-poor drainage - smell coming from the taps when draining
-toilet in separate room to sink combined with the feeling that the cleaning did not appear to be very thorough led to me obsessively cleaning my hands after touching light switches etc.
-very dark and dingy in room - although bright sunshine outside it was impossible to tell
-dirty towels....adding to the feeling that cleaning was done poorly. Covered in stains....
-swimming pool to small and too shallow to actually swim in
-bin men collection at 5 am outside window which overlooks the car park
-the hotel needs to check its menu as there is some serious 'misleading the consumer'. The advertised plum tomatoes were in fact cherry tomatoes, the cos lettuce was not cos lettuce....with the upcoming food information to consumers regulation EC 1169/2011 the hotel should watch out for mis-selling it's food!
-stains, stains everywhere.

Needless to say I will not be staying at this hotel again. I'm sure I was just very unlucky as can see the hotel could be reasonable...just lots of negatives for my stay. The AA star rating seems overly generous and the price for staying at the novotel also overpriced for so many negatives.

Truly one of, if not the worst hotel I have stayed in (including hostels)

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thewildoneforever
Good afternoon. Thank you for your honest feedback. I am very disappointed to read your experience did not match your expectations on this occasion. I have had a long review with my team of managers so that steps can be taken to avoid some of the problems you encountered. Please rest assured your comments have been taken seriously and have been investigated. On the other hand, I was pleased to read about the positives. Thank you once again for your valuable input which will give us the opportunity to improve on our service delivery.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

10 minutes from york centre so good location. Room was ok, very warm and the window doesnt open very wide. Sofa bed for the kids was awful but the kids didnt really mind. Pool was quite small but the kids loved it. Breakfast was quite nice and staff were very friendly and helpful

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank agp1980
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at the Novotel York as a large group visiting for a hen do.

The rooms were clean and tidy and we were assigned three to a room. This was covered by a double bed and two single beds that were made from the sofa. As we stayed for two nights, the rooms were tidied in between and beds re-made. I had one of the sofa beds and it was comfortable.

Adequate bathroom, again very clean and tidy. A very good hot shower!

We had breakfast on both mornings which was hot and fresh and regularly topped up. I enjoyed cereal one morning followed by scrambled eggs, and egg on toast and fruit on the other morning. They brought tea and coffee to the table, though we did have to ask for additional cups and saucers and cutlery to match the amount of places! Unsure why you'd only put one cup and saucer per table of two but perhaps this was just an over-sight.
I would have asked for poached eggs but I'm not fully sure this was an option.

The location of this hotel is brilliant, within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. You can easily book a taxi though if required, as we did need to do this (high heels).

The service and hospitality was good. The ladies behind the desk seemed nice enough! Plenty of lifts, we only had to wait once for an alternative to be available as the first was full.

Overall this hotel was perfect for us and we enjoyed our stay. There's a pool but we didn't have time to use it sadly. Thanks for a good stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janine H
Good morning. Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased you had a good stay with us and hope your hen party had a great time in York. I hope we will have the opportunity to seeing you again in the future. Thank you once again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights with my wife on Friday and Saturday which cost £314 by pre paying for room, we had a Queen room which was nice, bed had memory foam mattress and was comfortable.
We could have had breakfast for £13.95 each but as this would have added another £56 to the stay for a bit of melon and a couple of rashers on the buffet I thought this would not represent value for money so we got a bacon butty and an Americano for a nine quid in town which was a short walk, the car park charge was £11 for visit two nights so that was ok.
We didn't eat dinner at the Hotel but the menu looked good and many choices.
I can never work out whether Breakfast at hotels is a service or a profit making venture but its suprising how it adds to a stay, we could have got it for £11.95 if we had booked at time of reservation but still think its a bit steep, I suppose its down to how much you are going to eat and your choices but as the room was quite dear (although I think they put it up for a race weekend).
The hotel was quiet and it had a pool but this was very small and probably better suited for families rather than a couple, the walk to town was only 10 mins, the staff were good and had no problems.
The bathroom has a shower and a bath although when you open shower door all the water goes on the floor. Tea and coffee facilities in the room, a safe and a fridge were all ok but if you have a bottle of water that is left in the fridge its £2.50 which at first you think is for free until you see the sign on the fridge . This was our first visit to York and I researched the hotels and prices and on balance I think I got it right as other hotels of this standard were more expensive and of the same standard, I would stay here again next time I go back but I wont have Breakfast or water and save £66 quid again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RealityCheck2013
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Good morning, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to York. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.