Novotel York Centre
Hilton York(York)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
2,629 results
All reviewsswimming poolx boxseparate toiletexecutive roomsofa bedcar parkhalf termreception areagood sizeper dayreception staffoverlooking the rivercoffee machinecastle museumclifford's toweryork centrewalk into town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and Arrived 18.07.14 for a 2 night birthday celebration what a disappointment! After we checked in we went up to our room on opening the door I could see why people had complained.. The carpet was so scruffy I couldn't bare to walk on the carpet with no shoes on the thought made me cringe. Thought we had booked a twin room only to find a double bed but then realised there was a sofa bed... Thank goodness as being in the age range of the hot flushes we were relieved. My friend went to the toilet OMG it hadn't been cleaned so we rang house keeping and someone promptly came to clean it. We were told girl going on holiday so she was in holiday mode!!!!! What we said.... Couldn't believe she even said it as there's no excuse for sloppiness. There's no air con but were given a fan which sort I helped as it was hot and muggy. Wouldn't go back to this hotel but we still had a good time in York

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank NorthEast64
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Good afternoon and many thanks for sharing your views on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to read about the lack of cleanliness in your room and have adressed this issue straight away. I am also surprised to read about the answer you were given. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I actually read a few reviews before booking but wrongly assumed that people may have been exaggerating about the temperature issue. I actually really loved the hotel's location, the breakfast, the outside seating area overlooking the water and found the staff really friendly. However the whole hotel is too hot!! There is clearly an air con issue throughout and knowing this to only allow the room windows to open 50mm is ludicrous! At the very least for £160 per night I'd expect a £10 fan in the room. It was so bad the sweat was pouring down our faces just sitting in the room before trying to sleep. This hotel could be great if this was sorted out. As it was we had two sleepless nights - very frustrating! Everyone in the hotel was complaining so it's clearly a major problem which needs sorting. If this was resolved I would stay again but as it is I'll book elsewhere which is a real shame.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank MaryMagee

Good morning. Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to read you liked the hotel and found our team to be very helpful. It is true the hotel does not have any air conditioning and having had such high temperatures recently and humidity we have been struggling keeping the temperatures down. We are of course looking at alternatives should such temperatures become a regular occurence but there is obviously no quick fix. Thank you once again for using Novotel and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back.

Chrisotphe Ughetto

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have never felt the need to complain about a hotel before but after a recent stay I would like to share the experience.

On entering the room I was greeted with a very old musty smell and on closer inspection it was obvious why, the carpet, curtains and all soft furnishings were well past the time that they should have been replaced. The carpet especially was disgustingly dirty and belonged in a skip!
Going into the toilet area I was greeted with the smell of stale urine and it obviously had not seen any recent cleaning. The bathroom area initially looked clean but also suffered from the smelly drains as per previous reviews.
It was impossible to get a decent nights sleep as apart from the aircon not working the walls are paper thin and the noise from fellow guests was constant.
The only positive comment I have is that the staff are lovely and the breakfast was Ok.
I have stayed in many hotels including numerous Novotels and do not understand how this can be rated as a four stars, in my eyes the room had more of a budget hostel feel than a hotel!

Novotel York Centre was not good value for money and until it has a complete refurbishment it is worth avoiding I could honestly not recommend to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank LoopyLottie

Good morning. Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us and would like to personally apologise. Your concerns have been dealt with and we will carry on developing our products. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed in a family room and my sister in law as a single room booking in June.
I felt quite clastrophobic as the window (presumably for safety reasons) opened by only about 50mm.
The room was very hot indeed and there is no air conditioning so it was in fact quite uncomfortable and the nights sleep was poor as a result.
The family rooms have a fold out sofa that I thought was not the easiest to pull out and we fitted the bedding ourselves.
The bathroom had the toilet seperate but the sink was in the bathroom-a very odd arrangement indeed!
I picked this as it had a swimming pool -Unfortunately this was very cold and had only 2 cubicles to change in.
The breakfast was nice.
I had specifically asked for a quiet room yet all I could hear was the noise of fans etc from the kitchen where we were situated near the end of the building.
There was some misunderstanding with my sister in laws booking as to whether breakfast was included and although she mentioned this to the hotel and breakfast was not included they later took the cost of 2 breakfasts from her card and have yet to resolve this with her. She only stayed one night so there should only be one charged for. I don't quite know why this is rated as 4 stars, at best I would say 3 stars and for me it was a disappointment for what we paid. I would not return here in the future. The hotel needs improving in a number of areas.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the kitchen and higher up-I doubt if any have windows that open sufficiently.Also ask for a fan if you really want to stay there-I believe they have a few but we were not made aware until later.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew P

Good morning and many thanks for your review. Please rest assured your comments have been taken into account and that we will endeavour to keep improving on our service delivery. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

2014 and no air con. Window locked. Staff refused to unlock for security reasons. For a third floor room. Better for guest to sweat to death and for me to have an asthma attack because of the heat. Awful hotel, for over £100 a night I expect to actually sleep at night. In town now to buy fans to try and sleep tonight as hotel won't provide any. As if we have spent enough money to stay here now we have to provide our own climate control system!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adrienne L
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Good morning and thank you for your review. I am very sorry your stay was impacted by the heat. It is true the hotel has not got air conditioning. We are currently looking at alternatives should such weather repeat over the years to come but I am sure you will appreciate the task is rather complicated for an exisitng building. I am also sorry to read that reception had ran out of fans during your stay. More have been purchased since. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com for your next visit to York and I will personally assist with your booking. I hope you will give me the opportunity to show you that this was a very isolated incident.