“Ideal Location, Very Clean, Friendly Staff”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Booked this hotel through late rooms the day before and to be honest we were expecting a discounted, bland rent a box hotel with forgettable staff that would serve as a base while we were in York.

How wrong we were!! Nice, clean spacious rooms with a good lcd Tv (it was a premier? room that smelt and felt clean and was bright with a river view). The staff were very friendly and courteous and the car parking was a reasonable £6 overnight and the next day till we’d finished shopping and sightseeing. The hotel is close enough to York to walk in and easy enough to find (although it is set among houses, watch out for the signs!). The breakfast was excellent and you could eat it up to 10 o’clock. I would defiantly stop here again.

1  Thank Tyneside_Wanderer
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments regarding your stay with us at Novotel York. With my team, I am very much looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi

Write a ReviewReviews (2,525)

Reviewed 15 March 2010

Although this is probably aimed more at the business market, I found them very welcoming when I visited with my husband and toddler. We arrived early and went to drop off our luggage, but they let us check in and actually get into our rooms hours early. They have a small play area in the lobby to keep tiny children occupied while you check in and the staff gave my daughter a welcome soft toy and offered up lots of local information on attractions, opening times etc.

Rooms were large, clean and well appointed. They have a good media package you can get that includes pay for view movies and net access for 24 hours. We managed to catch some recent releases in the evening after retiring to bed with the baby.

The breakfast was huge and varied - a hot & cold buffet that filled you up for the day. They even supplied vegetarian sausages for me. We had a swim in the hotel pool each morning before breakfast and we were the only ones in - lovely.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the main old town centre and we found it no poroblem even with a buggy.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2010

Reviewed 8 March 2010

I have just returned from a weekend in York with my 5 year old son. I was meeting up with my friend & her 5 year old who traveled up from london on the train.

The hotel was brill! It was central-ish but York isn't a huge place so we could walk everywhere. Its a great mixture of visitor attractions and sole trader shops (muuuuuuuuch cheaper than Edinburgh).

The kids loved the hotel as we could eat dinner and they played on the games in the reception area, in sight. The staff were so friendly & efficient. Breakfast is a banquet and we loved the pool.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 March 2010

I can honestly say that this hotel doesn't do itself justice by looking at the websites & others reviews and pictures - it really is brilliant. We stayed in an executive room after being offered a very cheap upgrade and a reduced rate on breakfasts, you can grab yourself some deals without having to negotiate! The rooms are very spacious and accomodating, with very large TV and TV/FILM package and just generally a very modern and welcoming room to stay in (mind you, the en-suite was just a bit special!!). The pool is obviously a very nice bonus and don't be fooled by previous comments, it is an adequate size - how much water do you want to swim in?. There are a couple of negatives on cost - i.e the £5 parking for 24hours and the slightly strange tariffs on internet & films - if you are offered the £9.99 package, snap their hands off. Breakfast was very nice, but if you walk to the weatherspoons 3/5 minutes away, you'll probably get better value for money. Don't let this distract you though, the quality of service combined with a gorgeous room should be enough to sell this hotel to you!

Reviewed 27 February 2010

Came to York for a weekend's shopping and exploring. Was dissapointed to find a lot of the attractions were closed but still had a great time. We chose the hotel purely for location and the fact it has a pool. great place - typical chain hotel but we did find the staff very friendly indeed. We did not eat dinner in the resturant - but the breakfast was excellent so I am sure the dinner would have been too.
the rooms were spacious for an innercity hotel and very clean.

Would certainly reccoment this hotel if you want to do a shopping trip - within 10 mins walk of theshops.

Reviewed 25 February 2010

My wife and I decided to take a couple of days off work to go Sun - Tue (21/02 - 23/02). We booked in advance and got an excellent deal with laterooms paying £71.20 per night for bed and breakfast in a superior room.

We arrived at around 12.30pm on Sunday and parked the car in the car park provided. (We were charged £5 per 24hrs for car parking despite it stating a £6 charge). I went to reception to let them know we had arrived and would return later to check in and was told that our room was ready and that we could check in early.

Rooms are spacious, decent bath and shower, seperate room for toilet, sofa and kingsize bed. There is a mini bar in the room but be wary of the usual extortionate minibar prices imposed although there were no issues with us putting our own drinks in. A decent size TV also have movies that you can pay for. While we were there, they had an offer for unlimited movies and internet for £9.99 for 24 hours.

Working with a limited budget, we booked this hotel over the likes of Premier Inn and the York Hilton (who also had good offers available when booking in January) mainly because the Novotel had a pool. We made use of this twice during our stay and never had problems with many others using it. If you pick your times right then you may even get the pool to yourself. As other reviewers have stated, the pool is quite small but that didn't ruin the experience by any means.

After spending all of the second day shopping and sightseeing, my wife and I decided to stay at the hotel for our evening meal. The food is of average quality but York have ample restuarants and there is no pressure to feel that you must eat within the hotel.

Overall there are plus and minus points for this hotel which are summarised as follows:

Plus Points:
Location: 12 minute walk to the centre of York.
Swimming Pool: Very few other places in York offer this.
Customer Service: All staff were very professional and friendly.
Cost: Surf the web for deals - we got a great deal with Laterooms.
Breakfast: Decent breakfast although my wife and I agreed that Premier Inn was better when we visited York last year.

Minus Points:
Room Temperature: We found the room very stuffy, even with the heating turned off and the window open which did affect our sleep.
Parking Fees: We knew in advance of the parking charges but the hotel is outside of the city walls and shouldn't therefore warrant such charges.
Cleanliness: A minor gripe but one that knocked our confidence on arrival at the place. One of the bath towels was not clean requiring us to find a cleaner and ask her to replace it. Although she was apologetic, this was something that should never have happened.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us at Novotel York. With my team, I am very much looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 23 February 2010

This hotel is a middle-of- the-road budget hotel masquerading as a high quality establishment.
Restaurant food is expensive and rather bland.
Also, reception staff tried to charge me again on departure when I had already paid in advance.
Positives were the pool and the central location.
Rooms were clean though uninspiring
Price was also reasonable( as long as they don't charge you twice)
Average in the extreme.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi