“Fine and convenient”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Solihull, UK
“Fine and convenient”
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I stayed here for one night in July 2010. I booked through Trip Adviser and Expedia. The hotel was very easy to find - signposted from main road. Reception was courteous and efficient. A slight gripe - although I had booked room only they wanted my credit card for extras, a practice I dont really like. They did tell me how to get breakfast if I changed my mind. The lift was just behind reception and listed times at which the breakfast room was busiest.

The first floor corridor to my room was very bland, with subdued colours, carried on into the room. This I thought was generous, with a ample bathroom (possibly because it was adapted/provided for a person with disabilities) and good modern furnture including 2 hanging spaces. The hospitality tray was adequate, and a stocked mini-bar was a surprise. The toiletries were of good quality. The toilet rolls were slightly double thickness!!

The bed was a good size, comfortable and so I was able to have a pleasant stretch out. But the gap between the two single mattresses was pronounced and the pillow didnt give me adequate support.

The room was clean and the curtains effective.

The television was flat screen but the choice of channels was limited (12) - there were single French, Spanish,German, Italian and Russian channels - there was only 3 radio channels. Internet, and films could only be accessed for £9.99 a day - a bit expensive. CDs could be accessed for 99p each.

The best thing about this hotel is the location - less than 5 minutes gentle stoll from the City Walls and the Car Parking. Advertised as £6 per 24 hours, on departure give you a ticket that allows exit. This is a real plus for a City where car parking is at a premium and prices are commensurate.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Thank you for your kind comments. I was please to read you enjoyed your stay with us when visiting York and with my team, I am looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

me and my family have been going to this hotel for about 1o years now,
and now the kids are grown up its still our little getaway,
staff are soooo friendly and helpfull,the food is first class
rooms are clean and cosy.
already planning our next stay
i recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments and regular custom. I was pleased to read that you continue to enjoy your breaks in York and with my team, I am looking forward to welcome you again on your next visit. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
atlanta, ga
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Overall we were very pleased with this hotel. If all of our interests were at the castle end of York, this would have been great. the room was very large and was packed with amenities. We opted to take the 20 pound room upgrade which gave us an expresso machine, mini bar, and free internet. Finding the hotel was a huge problem. We were driving and passed it 3 times before my wife finally noticed the very small sign on the street for the entrance drive to the hotel. The hotel itself sits back off the busy one way street and is not visible from the street. Crossing this same 4 lane road to get into town was problematic. There is no cross walk in front of the hotel so you have to walk 300 yards to the closest one or else risk being hit by jaywalking. It is a long walk from the hotel to the Minster or Stonegate. So we ended up using taxis a lot.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 26 July 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and I am please you enjoyed your stay in York. With my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. I shall also ensure that you are informed of a pleasant walk alongside the river, towards the town centre (accessible from the hotel terrace). Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I stayed @ Novotel, York Friday to Sunday for a weekend away with my 7 year old daughter. Arrived at eleven oclock to be told that the room would not be ready untill 1400- fair enough. The reception staff were friendly and advised us what facilities were available in the hotel in the mean time and also gave us a map if we wanted to explore the city - which we did.

Check-in was quick and simple 10/10

Rooms were typical novotel - plain however very spacios, seperate toilet to the bathroom and plenty of room for the weekend. Upon arrival to my room I recieved a telephone call from reception within ten minutes to see if everything was to my satisfaction. That's good customer service in my opinion! 10/10

Breakfast was included in the price - excellent choice! Buffet breakfast with full english fry up availabe including waffles which is fine by me with a selection of pastries, fresh fruits and cereals 10/10

Food in the resturant/bar area was lovely. Childrens menu was availabe at only 4.00 for a meal which was pretty good. Drinks were reasonably priced 10/10

Swimming pool was simple, no lifeguard therefore guests have to fill in a questionnaire before they are given access to the pool which is good health and safety in my opinion! 10/10.

Car park - 7.00 a night which I personally dont see why guests should have to pay for parking in their hotel however compared to other hotels I have stayed in 7.00 seems to be the going rate. 8/10.

Location - the hotel is a mere 10 jins walk to the city centre which can be taken along the river or a stroll through the city walls. Excellent location! 10/10

The hotel in itself has a terrace overlooking the river where there are tables so you can sit outside and relax. I didnt use the guym facilities. There is a wii in the reception area to keep the kids happy and also a play area for the younder kiddies. It is tastefully decorated and the reception staff are very helpful.

I have no concerns / complaints and would recommend to anyone with children or no children. I shall be returning to York in the near future and will be staying here again :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments, I am very please to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in York. With my team, I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
uk
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed in a superior room in June. Front desk staff is very pleasant, we arrived late morning but were told we could not check in until after 2pm. But they did offer to hold our luggage for us, which was nice. When we entered the room, we discovered that it had only been made up for 3 people, even though we were a party of 4. The lovely man at the front desk offered to come up and correct it for us, but we were more than capable of pulling out the other half of the sofa and pick a pillow from the wardrobe. The location is convenient, it is walking distance to most of the main tourist sites in York, as long as you don't mind a 15 minute walk. The room was clean, and had all of the standard Novotel amenities. Except for the children's welcome pack at check-in, this was not offered. There is no air conditioning in the hotel, thank goodness we had brought a fan with us as it was very warm that weekend. Also, I had requested a quiet room, but we were placed over the entrance of the hotel, and had to listen to intoxicated people returning and lounging around the entrance of the hotel until past 2AM. We did not sleep well. Breakfast was good, we had no complaints. Since we were checking out on a Sunday and they advertise late check-out for families on Sunday, we requested late check out. They weren't able to offer us late check out, but this did not bother us greatly. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again, but not on a warm weekend when you need to have the window open, as it is noisy.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is important to us to continue to improve the quality of our services and I hope, with my team, to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Vale of Glamorgan, South wales
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Very friendly staff greeted us on arrival. The room was a good size and the bed very comfortable.The Bathroom was clean and had a lovely walk in shower.There was a swimming pool, although we didn't use it ,it looked very inviting.(It was very hot).The only thing that let this Hotel down was that it had no air conditioning.Even with the window open it was very hot indeed.Town is just a few minutes walk away and if you want a really good meal with exellent service just pop along to The Olive Tree close by.We didn't book breakfast at this Hotel so cannot comment on that.Maybe next time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments on your recent stay with us. I am please to read that you enjoyed your stay in York and I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi.
Seattle
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The "superior" room was not: three people were crammed, no air-conditioning, security chain missing from door, ripped out of its screws. Modern decor was nice, but room to maneuver would have been better. Sheets were poor quality, pillows were small, no facecloth provided, and short on hand towels too. Cleaning staff wanted us to keep to their timetable, not ours.

Restaurant breakfast service was lackluster -- buffet only, table service requested and denied. Twice in 3 days had to ask for more plates, even needing to interrupt a "critical" conversation between waitstaff. Food was okay, but I hate paying 14 pounds when I just want a light breakfast.

Management seemed indifferent when several of these problems were pointed out. I did not encounter anyone at the hotel who seemed to want to do an excellent job.

The location was good -- walked into town easily several days, along the canal -- but it was not a pleasant, comfortable home base. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Moirvae
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and I wonder if you could call me to discuss this matter. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi