“Great location BUT”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This Hotel was all in all average, as we first arrived to Elmbank we though Great 10 min walk from Train station Exellent, the lobby of this Hotel is Lovely n Fantastic, Food n little Bar is Good, Breaky was Great, We never had dinner or lunch so we cannot comment on that, First night we Arrived to our rooms, All in all everything seemed fine went to make a cuppa and Cutlery was all dirty one clean cup. Room next door which Family was staying in Smelt of Smoke for both the night we were there, ( none of us Smoke) Second day maids have been into our room Taken Trash out made the bed, Places our Dirty Towels all nicely faulded on our made bed (so they didnt change them over) there was a Dirty Toe nail in our bed along with Long Black hairs, So clearly sheets hadn't been washed or Cleaned. staff were lovely, Just needs more attention on cleaning....

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 August 2011

This was my second stay at the Elmbank, on reading some reviews I think they are a tad harsh, the staff are very nice a rarity these days! A good location yes def need comfortable heels! Great parking, breakfast was great lots to choose from and the staff were lovely!
I know this is in deed needing some tlc in places however it is very charming and ideal for the rateable charge.
Please don't dismiss this hotel reading some of the reviews I am sure the Manager would of helped in any way possible. I think some people are fussy I go to York quite a lot and I will be staying again at the Elmbank good location if you like it quiet on a night and free parking with lovely staff and value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank ali2697
Reviewed 13 August 2011

On reading some of the other reviews before we left I did'nt know what to expect and was rather worried, however I am pleased to say we had no problems at all and found out for ourselves that some people must be really fussy and don't know how to enjoy themselves.
The staff were friendly and very helpful, the room was comfortable, breakfast was really nice with plenty choice, maybe too much choice as you wanted to try everything.
Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits in room (just had to ask and the staff would replenish milk etc).
Will definately be back but next time will not take my heels as it is a good ten minutes into town centre, but good way to walk off huge breakfast.
Even the rain did not stop us enjoying our stay.

Room Tip: Our room was classed as a double but was infact twins joined together, which was ok as it gave us pl...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marsco60
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The booking was a slight problem, but this was due to telephone line problems and not down to the hotel.
Price was very reasonable for the location and the time of year.
Directions to the hotel were very good and we found our way with no problems.
Booking in was easy.
Now to the bad part.
On booking in I noticed that it stated 'Twin' on the key card, I had booked a double room for my wife and I. I was assured it was a 'Double room'. The room allocated was in the rear courtyard. The room was very clean and well presented. the linen was clean and fresh. television was an old CRT type and was not digital.
Night arrived, time for bed. The double bed turned out to be 2 singles supposedly zipped together. This was an impossibility as the 2 mattresses were not the same. This was discovered about an hour into sleep when I vanished between the 2 beds. they opened up in the middle.
On trying to zip them together a very large Urine stain was discovered through one of the mattresses, through the protective bed cover (fleece) and then through into the bed itself.
We slept in one single bed (that was the size of a 3/4).
Next when the neighbours came back we could hear them chatting, we put up with this for a period of time until I said loudly that I was going to reception to complain.
Apologies were heard from the next door and a door was heard and people went to other rooms.
When the neighbours the other side returned, I think that if there was a record for the amount of times one could open and close a door in 5 minutes, they would win it. Not only in the evening but int he morning at 5.30 also.
In the morning I asked for the manager and was informed that they would be in at 7.30.
I was asked what the problem was and just informed them that I wanted to speak to the manager, I was asked which room I was in and on informing them, had a differnet room number repeated back to me not once but twice.
Breakfast was very good, however the heated serving bars had not been moved as the dust build up underneath was evident. The carpet in the dining area was filthy with what looked like ground in dirt. However on the plus side the tablecloths were very clean the first morning.
One had a very uneasy feeling though as the 2 members of staff on duty seemed to watch every mouthful taken and the impression of being in the way was very evident.
The food was hot and cooked well.
(On the second morning, the table we were shown to had dirty seats and marks on the tablecloth. The carpet had not been cleaned from the day before and the glass on the heated serving bars was dirty with finger marks and what looked like dried baked bean juice.)
On returning to see the manager with regards to the 'Twin' room problem, the mattress problem, the urine problem, the noise problem.
One got the impression that they were ready for us.
the problems seemed to be already known about though they tried to give the impression that it was the first they had heard avout it. We had already been allocated a different room in the main building. They would be downgrading the room we were in to be only a twin and not a double. The mattress and bed 'Urine' problem was already being looked at being rectified. They had spoken to the people concerned about the noise. (All this in less than 1/2 an hour).
We were also given a substantial refund on our costs.
The room we were moved to was absolutely superb, no problems at all. The only noise was from the railway. (not their fault).

We will be returning next year even after the things that happened, if only to see if any changes have been implemented.
The main building is so full of charm and historical value it is well worth the stay just for this.

Should you choose to stay though avoid the courtyard rooms, these are rooms 105 to 112.

Room Tip: Main building rooms only. Avoid courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank safron6
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel is a ten minute walk from the York Train station.
Clarity directions before you embark.

Room Tip: The floors squeak a lot but it does not discount the comfort of the room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cewinggray
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel on a last minute whim and we are so glad we did! The hotel was really old with lots of character, the rooms very comfortable and an excellent location, being a mere 10 minute walk to the town centre and directly opposite the race course.

I have read reviews on here about the hotel being a little "run down" or "outdated. What do people expect of an 18th century building? If you want a totally characterless hotel, then book a Travel Lodge! We loved the decor and the historic element. It was clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Just be nice to them and they reciprocate... as some were Eastern European and can seem a bit abrupt at times.

I would definatley stay at this hotel again and although i cannnot comment on the breakfast, as we didnt opt for one, i think it's a very beautiful and quaint place!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank SusanneManchester
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This hotel is very tired but they do seem to updating some areas. Our room wasn't great. Scuffed wallpaper, old furniture, small bed, very stuffy. The bathroom has been updated and there was a flatscreen tv in our room, so changes do seem to be being made, they just need to turn their attention to the rooms themselves, give them a paint, replace the beds and furniture, it would make all the difference. It was very hot the night so stayed so we had a fan in our room which also helped drown out the road noise. We slept ok, not great, but didn't hear any noise from other rooms. The main communal area has got character and I believe with some investment this has the potential to be a lovely hotel if they made the most of the features.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple