“Don't expect to sleep!”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Me and my partner recently stayed here for two nights and for £183 I expect to be able to get a good nights sleep! However, the floor boards are sooo creaky its ridiculous! I love old buildings, so this is not usually something that bothers me, but they boards were so loud it kept us up all night. This was followed by the girls in the next room partying and running up and down the corridor until 4am. The room was also very very basic - 2 single beds pushed together and a TV - not much for the amount of money you pay.

I also booked this stay online, and failed to be told that they didn't actually take payment at that point, the website makes it appear that payment has been taken. It's a good job I had a card with me when we arrived as they had to take the payment there and then.

I have emailed the hotel directly before leaving this review, but surprisingly haven't heard anything.

Very very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amywagstaff21

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Elmbank for two nights on a business trip. I used a colleague’s bank card to reserve the room as I didn’t have my credit card on me at the time of reservation and I was keen to get a room booked. I was told no payment would be taken from the card. When I asked to pay at the hotel I was told full payment had been taken from the card I had used to reserve the room. No apology or solution was offered to the awkward predicament this left me in.

Aside from this the hotel was hugely understaffed whilst I was there. One evening I went to the bar for a drink to find another customer waiting. He told me that one staff member was trying to serve the reception desk, the restaurant and the bar. This resulted in me waiting fifteen minutes for a soft drink and put me off from using the bar again for the duration of my stay.

At breakfast both mornings just one staff member was trying to seat and serve each guest. It meant that when I arrived no staff member was to be seen as he was busy getting toast for another guest. When he did finally return he hadn’t had a chance to clear the tables of the guests who had finished eating and so asked me to sit in another room alone so that he didn’t have to spend time clearing a table. He was efficient enough getting my tea but with too much to do he couldn’t put the attention in that he would have if he were not alone. He didn’t for example explain that he would be bringing me some toast, he simply disappeared for some time leaving me wandering around the breakfast room wondering where I could get toast from. The food was adequate, clearly cheap sausages and the eggs were hard and rubbery, but there was plenty of it to choose from.

The room itself was clean and sufficiently spacious but the bed hugely uncomfortable. The mattress had by far seen better days and was more soft and uncomfortable on one side than the other. Fortunately I was sleeping alone so selected the slightly better side of the bed but it wouldn’t have been great for a couple. For some reason the heating in my room had been left on (in August) making the room stifling hot. There was a bath which, at £55 a night, is more than I’d hoped for but overall I wouldn’t stay here again. The staff are pleasant enough but with a place as poorly run as this it makes for a terrible stay in an otherwise lovely city. I would personally spend a little more and avoid a disappointing trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RebeccaAris
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a great value hotel as long as you don't pay the full rate. Somewhere between £42 - 55 a room is achievable most times except when there are races or events in York.Food is fairly basic but good quality and well cooked.If you're arriving late, make certain the chef is still on duty! Very convenient for city.Staff are really helpful- but it is Yorkshire after all. Clean but a little worn. Great breakfast and often cheap if you go to Cairn Hotels site.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms can have smokers near your windows _therefore groups can be heard from room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank paolo123Wales
Reviewed 10 August 2014

You get what you pair for and we weren't expecting too much which is just as well as we didn't get it.

The hotel is a grand old house that is no a fairly grim hotel with some pretensions of olde worlde glamour.

Room was OK but the bed was sproingy and as it was a single, it came with a ludicrously small single duvet leaving lots of cold bits sticking out at night. To add to this was the fact that delivery trucks started throwing crates off lorries at sparrow-fart in the morning right outside my window.

No real ales on tap, but the bar food was OK and good value at £5 for an unremarkable hamburger and chips served by a waiter who was obviously doing his best and taking his job seriously.

The location is good, being far enough outside the old city to not be a problem driving too but an easy enough walk to Micklegate, the Train Museum and the Minster. However there is very limited parking which means you will very likely have to park in a residents' bay without a permit until they become free at 18:00. I dont know why the hotel doesn't operate a reserved parking system.

All in, a decent hotel for the money, but certainly nothing special. Decent location but the lack of parking can be an issue if you arrive to find no spaces after a whole day of dealing with motorway traffic.

Room Tip: Dont get one at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2014

stayed here with my fella. Room was freezing and two single beds pushed together. A bit out dated. Didnt stay for breakfast. Staff were helpful and friendly - free parking is good and only a 10 min walk from the city centre. Wouldn't stay here again but a good place if you're just wanting somewhere to sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel a bit dated but great historical features. It is very nicely located particularly if you are going to the races. Great price for breakfast if pre-booked on the hotels own website at £3 per person- a saving from £8 per person. Staff were lovely. You can now pre-book parking at £5 per night. Well worth it. Rooms ok. A bit of a musty smell from the bathroom. All told what you would expect and I would stay again.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is an old dated building that has a certain amount of outward charm and character but lacks all the elegance of a modern hotel. The food is excellent but seriously, that is the only positive thing to say. Its very noisy both inside and outside and the attitude of senior staff towards guests, especially an extremely well behaved snd polite school group was appalling.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that cannot be opened by other guests keys!! Yes it happened.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends