All reviewsyork hospitalcity centrewonderful weekendtwin roomstay there againlovely guesthousefull englishtea and coffee making facilitiesmy mumminute walkfantastic staythe ground floorbreakfast choicesemmapermitcerealminster
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed in Crossways for 2 nights last week and it was wonderful! The guest house is ten minutes walk from York Minster so it’s very convenient . The owner and staff were helpful and polite, room was very clean and had everything we needed. We weren’t sure whether to choose this location as not every review on Tripadvisor was good, but the price was very reasonable so we decided to try it. And we were amazed how everything was so nice! There was a Warm welcome, room so lovely and comfortable, excellent breakfast – everything was really good and we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had to travel to York to see our daughter in hospital. The owner was very helpful, letting us book on a daily basis. Other B&Bs in the area around the hospital are a lot more expensive, so we chose this one. The breakfast is great, with butchers sausages etc. Rooms are nice. We had a room on the top floor and it's surprising how much is in there!
This was a short 10 minute walk from the city walls, for the reasonably fit. The B&B has residents parking, which was cheap and convenient for us.
I can't say enough about how helpful Emma was in our time of distress.

Room Tip: Stairs are a little steep for the top floor, so if you have difficulty, chose a ground or 1st floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank StevieBurns
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Warm and welcoming guesthouse, just out of the way of the main streets of York but not too far away to walk in or take a short bus ride. The room was very comfortable and cozy, breakfast was brilliant from full English to a a lighter option of eggs on toast or cereal, a lovely young girl served us breakfast every morning. It was really quiet and peaceful of a night. I took my mum for a short break and we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would definitely recommend and if I ever return to York this would be my choice to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Took my mum away for the weekend for her birthday and decided to book this B&B.
It was a little bit more money then I had previously spent on a B&B £85 a night with breakfast, but as it was a birthday treat, highly star rated and close to the city centre I decided to go for it. On arrival we checked in and were handed a tick menu to choose what we would like for breakfast in the morning. We found the twin room small and the en-suite no bigger then a matchbox! We completed the menu and left it as instructed. We went out for the day and into the evening and returned back about 11pm. I woke about 6 am ish to use the bathroom and smelled bacon cooking, I didn't think much about it then, got into bed again and went to sleep. We entered the dining room which was overcrowded with tables making it extrememly difficult to access the cereals, juice and jams (no fruit / fruit segments as advertised on the menu) after a struggle back to the table, we were served tea and what should have been toast but as one side was a light brown colour and the other totally uncooked white - it just tasted like eating bread! Breakfast arrived cold, sausage undercooked, my poached egg was like eating a hard boiled and my mum's egg raw! We left the table and took oursleves off out for the day trying to let it spoil the weekend. We arrived back very late again and suddenly realised that we hadn't recieved another menu at breakfast or left in our room to put out for the next morning, but there wasn't anyone about so we just went to bed. The next morning waiting in the dining room, we explained to the young girl serving the breakfasts that we do not want the same as the day before, to which she replied - that is what has been ordered. I then tried to find the slightly older lady who booked us in and explained how dreadful the breakfast was and we would not like the same, I then decided to tell her about the water in the en-suite including the shower was cold - her response was surprised but then shortly followed "if you do not inform me that you would like to change your menu the cooked breakfast will be the same - what do you want" (the last few words with a sigh). We checked out. Never ever again!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SH19802013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I booked this B&B for a girls' weekend with my best friend - booked a twin room. Our room was on the ground floor and rather small, two single beds. Lucky we had no cats to swing! Bathroom tiny too. However it was all very clean and the owner was very friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast was nice, a little strange that you had to order in advance (why ?do they microwave it or something??)(Just kidding but still) as I might have wanted something different each day. Noted that the owner was not available at weekends which I did think a little odd.

I thought £80 a night was quite pricey for what we got. We stayed Fri-Sat night and although most of my travel is midweek for work, the price did not seem to me to reflect the size of room available. Still, we had fun and the B&B is very close to York. We were even able to park outside it - you need a permit which the owner provides - and just walk everywhere, which is what we wanted.

Oh and scones in the room on arrival - nice touch!

Room Tip: If you have big luggage, check the size of the room you will be staying at! Also, not to be mean, but the breakfast room would have been awkward for larger people / the mobility challenged to squeeze round the tables in.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends