“Central for York”

Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in York
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Central for York”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We chose this hotel as it is central to the city and is not far to walk from the railway station. The hotel is undergoing renovations and so is a little dusty and draughty in the public areas. The room was a decent size and overlooked the river, the bathroom had been refurbished and had a walk in shower. There were only two pillows in the room which were very soft and we both woke up with a sore back in the morning, so this may have been due to lack of neck support. Breakfast was excellent, great choice ! Breakfast room overlooked the river, it was a wee bit chilly, so take a cardigan or jacket.We thought our room was thoroughly clean until we drew the net curtains back and discovered a dirty tumbler on the window sill and sticky marks on a bedside cabinet where the tumbler had been. We would stay here again and to be fair, nothing could be done about the renovations, breakfast was yummy and the tumbler was an oversight.

1 Thank Val_in_Scotland
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Sounds as though you had a really good time here in York; we are delighted. Watch out for the fantastic offers we have on our website - certainly worth checking out if you fancy a return trip in the near future!

Happy new year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Darlington
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Stayed here for a short break at the end of November. Travelled with another couple, wanting to do some Christmas shopping and visit the local bars and restaurants. The hotel is ideally situated and only a two minute walk to the centre. Our room was large and spacious with a lovely view over the river. Breakfast was good with plenty to choose from. Ideal location and good value for money. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Glad to hear the christmas shopping went well; I hope everyone liked their gifts from York!

Hope to see you again in 2013.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This hotel is within walking distance from the train station, shops, restaurants and bars! We had a river view room with a great view. Although the building itself is quite dated, the rooms are modern and comfy.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a river view if you are there for recreation not work otherwise you will end up l...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
thank you for taking the time to review the Park Inn by Radisson York; it is always pleasing to hear when our guests have enjoyed their time with us. Our location in the city is just perfect for both leisure and business guests and there has recently been significant investment in the hotel to ensure the public areas remain to the same standard as our guest rooms.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I was happy with my stay at this hotel. The room was immaculate, the bar area was nice and the breakfast was perfect. The bed was so comfortable I couldn't get out! The location of the hotel was close enough to be in the centre of York within a few minutes yet on the other side of the river so the city noise isn't a problem. The only criticisms I would have with the hotel is that when we checked in I was given my key card but wasn't told any information about the hotel. I booked the hotel as there was a special discount on but I think this was because there were extensive renovations going on which we were not told about and although there was plenty of disruption, it look like it was going to look nice when it is finished. I will most probably stay again.

Room Tip: River view is worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
I do apologise for the building works which were taking place during your visit and thank you for your patience. As you say, the results are fantastic so it has been well worth the slight disruption. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

The hotel was in the middle of a renovation which i found amazing being so close to Christmas. The staff tried there best but the reception was a building site. The refurbished rooms were functional. The food in the restuarant was OK. The best thing about the hotel is the location. Situated in the centre of the city it is excellent for arriving by any mode of travel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry you arrived towards the end of our reception refurbishment, I can quite appreciate that it was not the ideal start to your stay nor the best of first impressions. This has now been completed and the results are fantastic so I do hope you will come back soon and see our fresh new look!

united kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed at the Park Inn after travelling back from Germany, so arrived a tad weary. The hotel is undergoing refurbishment so the reception desk had relocated and was tiny. I was handed my door key for my room and that was it. I was given no info about the hotel facilities, breakfast options, nothing. I asked and was told I needed my key for everything. I got into the lift and went to my room on the third floor, having been told by another worker that I needed to put my keycard into the slot to make the lift work in the first place. Great.
The room was spotless and had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. I strolled into the bar at night planning on having a couple of drinks but at £4.80 for a bottle of Strongbow that was knocked on the head.
I asked for a late checkout but was still disturbed twice by the cleaner, who then at 5 minutes before I was due to go was standing outside my door rustling her cleaning materials.
On leaving I was'nt asked if I had enjoyed my stay or if everything had been alright.
I would stay here again but would like the staff to be slightly more proactive with their customers.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sheba72
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
I am so sorry that when you arrived at the hotel you found our service level was not to our normal standard; we were unfortunately in the middle of a refurbishment of the hotel reception area but I am delighted to say the results have been well worth the slight disturbance.

Please accept my apologies for the disturbance made by the room attendant; we do encourage our guests to use the "do not disturb" signs which can be found in each room, to clearly identify that they do not wish their room to be cleaned at that time. I hope that works for you in the future and your sleep remains undisturbed.

With kind regards
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We missed the entrance to the car park as it is through an arch with a wire gate and a bar across, but very helpful reception staff helped us and said as there were only 2 spaces left they would send someone to help us find them, by the time we got there the staff were there to greet us. Spaces are very small though, no good if you have a large car. Pity about the £12 for parking.
Reception staff were very quick and efficient, and we were soon in our very clean room, the complimentary drinks tray was very welcome with biscuits being a bonus.
We came in a 10-30 pm and asked for 2 extra pillows, as there is only 1pillow per person, and within 15 minutes they were there.
Breakfast was more than adequate with very efficient staff.
Well done Park Inns it was a pleasure to stay with you, your staff are a credit to you, and hope to come back in the New Year to see the renovations completed,

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
The Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group prides itself on delivering a Yes I Can service to all our guests and I am absolutely delighted that you experienced this first hand during your recent visit. Thank you very much for taking the time to write; I know the team will be delighted to know their efforts were appreciated so much.

I do hope you will visit again to see the benefits of the recent refurbishment to our reception area; there are some fantastic offers on our website so ensure you check them out before making your booking. We very much look forward to welcoming you back!