“A good location with a range of facilities”

Park Inn by Radisson York
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in York
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A good location with a range of facilities”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Overall a popular well-appointed hotel, close to the city centre with very approachable staff and range of facilities For business users it is close to the station and the city and bus routes are nearby, e.g. to York University. Rooms have free wifi and laptop-size safe; leisure club, bar and restaurant available. Pleasant outlook over the river and city from half the rooms, close to riverside walks, also the city's many attractions like the castle, Minster, Jorvik, museums. Wide ranges of places to eat and drink. Prices and availability can be erratic, probably related to the hotel's conference and coach trip activities, so difficult to be a 'regular' when there on business, especially if unable to book weeks in advance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Park Inn by Radisson Hotels

ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Richard

Many thanks for your very thorough review of the hotel; we can be busy on occasions so it is best to book in advance if possible but if you travel to York on a regular basis for business perhaps you would like to discuss with one of our team members the feasibility of a corporate rate. If this is of interest to you, please contact me directly (sally.hughes@rezidorparkinn.com) or speak to a team member during your next visit.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
cambridge
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed one night on business

Room was spacious and had a great river view Staff were helpful .

Would stay again - great location within easy walking distance of the city

Breakfast was included with a good choice of hot and cold food

Room Tip: Go for a room with a river / city view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Good afternoon. I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of the team for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel and I hope we have the opportunity to see you again.

Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

on the negative side: Everything seemed a little chaotic. Check-in staff were pleasant but rather clueless at times. Our group booking was not handled correctly, People got the wrong rooms. The meal took an hour to be served in the restaurant on Friday night. Strange combination of lifts had to be taken to get to second floor or above. Generally a bit noisy from party-goers nearby through the night.
on the positive: room clean, spacious, nice view over river , very close to city centre, breakfast good, with freshly cooked poached eggs available.
Probably overall more like a Holiday inn rather than a Radisson (aside from the breakfast)

Room Tip: river view rooms nice
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DamLou
I am obviously disappointed to read your experience was not as positive as you had anticipated. I have taken note of your comments and will review them with the management team to establish the cause of the problem. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I would presume from your comments that you are familiar with the Radisson Blu brand, but hope that this experience of its sister brand, Park Inn, will not deter you from staying with us again.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel has excellent location, but I arrived with my mother whose is 70 for a birthday treat, I had previously telephoned to go through a few requirments, early check in, room to be close to reception and with a walk in shower, unfortunately 3 points I had asked for were not met and with the hotel being full could not change the room, we were offered a drink in the bar. The staff were all very very helpful, hotel very clean but our room was small ok for a single person but not for 2 people, when one is not too clever on their feet. I would go back but would make sure that we had a riverside view and insist requirement met.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Carol

Please accept my sincere apologies for us not meeting your special requests; thank you for letting me as I can now share this information with the team and ensure there is no repetition in the future. If you do return to York, please let me know and I will personally ensure both you and your mother have a trouble free stay.

Mombasa, Kenya
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I booked this hotel as it was close to my meeting venue. Just a short walk from the station and also accessible by taxi etc.

The hotel is clean and inviting with an excellent standard of room facilities.

Staff could not be more helpful. Bar area was very quiet in the evening and I had enjoyed a full meal on the train from London (fully recommend East Coast Trains First Class service!)

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room with views of the river - beautiful to wake up to.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mark

Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be perfect for your needs. York is certainly a beautiful city and I agree, the views of the Minister early morning are breathtaking.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Norwich
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I just needed a room in York near to the train station, just somewhere to rest my head as I was going to a friend's wedding. Searched around for a cheap price so £60 was what I booked with nothing else included. It does still seem pricey, but the location is ideal.
I had contacted the previous day asking if I could check-in early but was told there would be no guarantee. I arrived at 1245 and there was a long queue of others also checking in, so it was good that I could do so...just took a while. They also booked me a taxi, so they were helpful.

The room I had was right by the lift, which did mean there was a slight dull noise, but the heating noise that I turned on (which I found quite simple following the little instruction sticker by the door) hid the noise of the lift and people in the corridor. Positive of being by the lift though was that according to the floorplan, I had a larger room. Being on my own, it wasn't a necessity, but is good to know. The room was clean and tidy, basic yes, but had everything you would expect. clothes hangers, tea making, good size tv, hairdryer etc. Bed was comfy, not too hard and not too soft. There was a lovely view out on to the river.
The bathroom- shower room really, this lets it down and had a few hiccups. It was a bit narrow so I could imagine some people really not finding it very practical. and even for me with the door shut (it kept closing behind me) I felt a bit claustrophobic. The shower looks potentially amazing, but the water doesn't have any power at all, so I wouldn't try to wash your hair as it would take a while. The sink too, im not keen on this ... you either have a plug in or you have the big gaping hole. The tap isn't practical either, bit pointy and again the water flow just squirted out everywhere and not very directional in its flow. I did notice the two glasses weren't matching, and for my OCD it was irritating, and I don't think give a good appearance to detail.
I didn't have breakfast or explore anything else within the hotel. I would just suggest that you check around for competitive prices as I would expect a lot more quality and inclusion of breakfast for any higher payment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Good morning and thank you for your extensive review. I am sorry if you did not feel the £60 you paid represented good value for money; may I assure you this is a very competitive price for a hotel in such an amazing location in a very busy and popular city. I am sorry if you felt the water pressure was not as strong as you would have wished and I will certainly check out the glasses in the bathroom. I know exactly what you mean ... it would irritate me too! Thank you for letting me know.

I hope you had an enjoyable time at the wedding and we send our best wishes to the happy couple.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Arrived at the hotel for our first visit, unsure of the arrangements for using the car park so went to ask at reception - the lady I spoke to was unhelpful and dismissive - not the best start to the visit. Fortunately a male member of staff intervened and instructed me that we were ok to use the car park prior to booking in (as I was told in no uncertain terms by the receptionist that I wasn't allowed to book in - even though I hadn't actually asked to do so).

The room was cold and the air conditioning unit practically impossible to fathom but that wasn't such an issue as the bed was warm and in spite of it being two single beds pushed together, reasonably comfortable.

In the morning my husband discovered that one of the glasses in the bathroom wasn't clean - the substance on it looked like blood (but as I don't have the resources of CSI on my person I can't be sure that it actually was). We took the offending glass to reception who assured us that they would be passing on our comments to house keeping - the receptionist on duty at that time was a very pleasant young lady - a complete contrast to the older lady the day before.

This hotel was not a cheap option and I would have expected better for the £99 we paid for a single night without breakfast.

Don't think we will use this hotel again, York is awash with hotels and this fact alone should make the Park Inn up their game a little.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
I am sorry to read that your experiences did not meet your expectations. This is very much out of character from other reviews and we do pride ourselves on excellent customer service and cleanliness. I have shared your comments with the team and wish to assure you positive action will be taken and therefore regret that you will not consider us for your next visit to York.