“Great location, disappointing overpriced room”

Park Inn by Radisson York
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here recently for one night and paid the most for a single room that I had anywhere in the UK in the last 3 weeks of travelling. What I got was the smallest room I have ever stayed in with barely room to move. Furthermore, the walls and paintwork were scuffed and chipped, the ensuite smelt, there were building noises all night (I presume from the lift and ventilation systems) and the quilt cover was ripped. I did not like the shower as the pressure was poor and the rain showerhead might have seemed like a good idea but it was actually not pleasurable to use as I didn't want my head wet all the time. The location by the river was great and convenient to the train station and central York and the service was also friendly and efficient. Just a shame I paid so much for a disappointing room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Good evening; I am naturally disappointed to read about your experiences at the Park Inn. The single rooms are cosy, as described on the website, and the rates, as in any city, vary according to the demand. If you stayed during the recent race weekend then, in line with all other hotels in the city, the room rates are a little higher than usual. The decor should however have been much better than you describe, and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will certainly speak with the Housekeeping Manager and ensure these matters are addressed. I do hope that otherwise you enjoyed your time in York and wish you a safe journey home.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,179)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just recently stayed here for the weekend with friends.

Can't fault the hotel, the room was great, bathroom was good with a good powerful shower and the city centre location meant we were close to all the attractions and night life.

Breakfast was a buffet style and offered both english and continental options.

I do have to mention about the food in the bar/restaurant though. We ordered 5 meals, including starters. Starters came after about 20 mins, but it was a further 45mins before 4 of the main meals were brought to the table.

When they did come however, the steak was well done, not medium rare as asked for. The gammon was cold. The pizza didn't look appetizing as the cheese was all brown. Pasta dish was good though.

The remaining meal, another pizza took a further 10 mins to arrive, but the diner did say it was good.

As this was Saturday evening, we wanted to have a quick meal and head out, but this wasn't possible and we ended up spending more time waiting for the food than we wanted to. The restaurant wasn't busy with only our group eating.

The manager only came to see us after we insisted on seeing him. The waiting staff had been relaying our complaints.

The manager appeased us by not charging for the late pizza and reducing our bill by 50%. He blamed a new chef who didn't know the menu.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I know the team will be pleased to hear that you found the accommodation to be good but they will be disappointed to hear that the food service did not meet your expectations. I do apologise but what you were told was correct - we unfortunately experienced staffing issues in the kitchen that evening which may have impacted the speed of delivery but things are now back to normal and I hope this experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Warm egards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were attending a Hen Do in York and needed a central, reasonably priced hotel for just 1night. We arrived about 1pm and a very helpful receptionist was able to provide access to our room straight away. Our room on the 8th floor was very clean and had great views ( not of the river but never mind) Comfy bed , air conditioning very welcome and we also managed to get a parking space in the secure car park. Just the perfect room for our needs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Good morning Mabel. The team and I are delighted to hear you had such a great stay here in York with your family and friends and found the service to more than meet your expectations. The RBG bar over looking the River is a great place to meet up for cocktails prior to hitting the town so I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

View from room overlooking the river amazing.
Hotel room spacious bright and clean, with large sofa and chair.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Great breakfast, but only available till 9.30am
Wifi not very good.
Shower pressure weak, but bathroom clean.
Bar very expensive, but lots of pubs and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for river view when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Good morning. Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. The views over the river are amazing, particularly at this time of the year, and it is well worth paying for the upgrade to take advantage of seeing the Minster and watching the many leisure boats cruising up and down the river.

Warm regards

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel does a nice job of addressing American travelers expectations in a European context. The room are rather spartan (reminds me of a dorm room), but very serviceable. They are air conditioned. The shower is outstanding. Room storage is adequate and flexible. The room WiFi is good.The lifts are prompt. The staff are pleasant and competent.The hotel location in the city centre is great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Good morning. Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Park Inn Hotel; the best recommendation we could ask for is a guest who would be happy to return to this hotel or another Park Inn by Radisson hotel. it will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Sally

Reviewed 18 July 2014

It seems to be a fairly basic requirement that, if a hotel accepts and then re-confirms your booking, they should provide the accommodation that they have promised. It is a certainty that they would have charged us had we not shown up. The Park Inn by Radisson in York did not accommodate us as they had undertaken to do. I have only given them one star because there is not an option to give them no stars at all.

As a party of five we booked a stay at the Park Inn in order to attend our daughter's graduation - we chose the hotel very specifically for its city centre location. Knowing the difficulty of finding one-night accommodation in York we booked a couple of months in advance. Knowing, also, that we would be arriving on a 9pm train (because of work commitments) we telephoned to re-confirm the reservation a few days ahead and were told specifically that all would be fine.

On arrival at the hotel (and after a few furtive glances from the receptionist as we walked in) we were told that no rooms were available for us despite our reservation. The receptionist and then the duty manager explained that this was because a system error had resulted in numerous over-bookings. The manager also confirmed that it was company practice to over book rooms to allow for no-shows - she claimed that the problem had only arisen because the system threw up an unusually high number of over-bookings. The reason given that we could no longer have our rooms was that they give away the overbooked rooms to whoever shows up first, presumably in the vain hope of being lucky that enough parties will fail to show - she saw no fault with this approach even when we suggested that it would be more fair to the customer to keep the rooms for those who had booked first. Despite the hotel and the chain having full contact details for us we received no prior notification that we would not have rooms in this hotel. Space was found for us in an out-of-town hotel a long taxi ride away which resulted in great inconvenience and a 6.30am start the following morning.

Obviously we will never use Park Inn, or indeed Radisson again - my personal opinion is that other travellers should be very wary of 'bookings' confirmed by this establishment.

2  Thank LouisfromLondon
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

I am naturally extremely disappointed to read your comments and send you my pesonal apologies. It is true that due to a computer error the hotel was slightly over booked that evening and as a result we had no choice but to find alternative accommodation for your party, but please be assured this is not normal practice for this or any of our hotels.

We appreciated that this was a family celebration and we therefore did our best to find a hotel which could accommodate you all; I am sorry to hear that the five star deluxe hotel less than ten minutes away from the city centre, with the provision of taxis, was not adequate compensation for the inconvience and disappointment.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have a stay booked and have tried ringing the hotel to find out about car parking as I have heard that their car park is completely inadequate and I will be arriving late so have little chance of a space. Can I get them to answer the phone? Their answering machine keeps reverting to the same irritating choose one option from five message and the option to go to reception doesn't work. Rubbish. Never again.

Room Tip: Go to a better hotel. The service is poor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cameron R
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I do apologise for the difficulties you experienced in contacting the hotel; please be assured that I will investigate this immediately but in the interim please contact me directly so that I can help with your query.

With kind regards