“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I have just spent my first ever stay at Middlethorpe Hall this Friday and would just like to give you some feedback regarding this.

Overall my visit was first class. The courtesy and professionalism of your staff exceeded my expectations, they were helpful, informative and bent over backwards to ensure that my stay was as hassle free, and relaxing as possible.

I also had dinner in your restaurant on Friday evening. The quality of the service, helpfulness of the staff and the meal itself were absolutely outstanding. I really enjoyed having pre and post dinner drinks in the drawing room, which impressed a great deal. I was recommended to make a reservation at your restaurant on my arrival as it could get quite busy, and having eaten there, I can fully understand why.

The restoration of the setting was amazing and whilst my stay was only for a single night, I did feel like I had a very relaxing and worthwhile stay. I did not use the Spa facilities on this occassion, however I did enjoy the walled gardens and a walk around the lake.

I would be very grateful if you could extend my thanks to your staff and I will certainly be looking forward to returning to your hotel at some point in the future as well as recommending to all my friends and associates.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HHH888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed at this lovely Hotel for two nights in a courtyard room. We were upgraded on arrival.The room was charming, with a lovely view of the courtyard. The Hotel itself is
beautiful, a lovely country house. The gardens and grounds are delightful. The staff are very friendly and helpful. You feel well and truly pampered. If requested early morning tea or coffee is brought to your room and at night they come and turn down the bed. Breakfast was most enjoyable, waitress service and not a buffet. Help yourself to juice and cereal then your cooked breakfast, toast, tea or coffee is bought to you. A wonderful stay, we would most definitely return.The only slight probem that I had was, being quite short, I found it hard to put the plug in the bath and turn the taps on because of the glass partition. Also if you have a ground floor room you are fully aware of the people walking across the floor upstairs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

From the moment we arrived and were upgraded we knew we had chosen the right place. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and the swimming pool and spa is a wonderful way to relax. You can have tea on the terrace or in the lounge overlooking the sunken garden where you can also enoy an aperitif on the comfortable sofas before dinner. Every request is met with a smile and the response "No problem". The bedrooms are spacious and comfortable and, because the hotel is off the main road, peaceful. This is indeed a luxurious escape but you can also go into York and walk the walls, see the museums, take a boat trip on the river, go to the theatre or explore the shambles. We were reluctant to leave and will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Phone and discuss what is available.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Dear Mr Sanchez and team

Thank you so very much for a truly memorable lunch on Sunday (fathers day), from start to
finish my father and family where made to feel so at home with all your wonderful attentative members of staff. Middlethorpe Hall has such a refreshingly
homely feeling which is quite unique in this ever changing fast society we
live in, bravo for such sentiment and genuine heart.

The dinning experience and food was first class and thank you too for making
my little 6 year old nephew feel very much a welcome young man, he has already
requested to to return of which the whole family seconded his vote.

Oh and as a considerable traveler myself the bellini was one of the best Ive
had!

Warmest regards and thank you all for a top day.

Lorette Smith London

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lotty1971
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We had an excellent dinner in the restaurant, served by well trained staff quietly doing a good job. Pre dinner drinks in the drawing room - a country house setting. Perfect evening.

Stayed June 2011
1 Thank King173
west sussex
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We had been keen to visit York for some time and jumped at the chance of a great mid week deal at Middlethorpe.

The hotel itself impresses from the start, looks great and overlooks York racecourse. We were also impressed by the location, with a bus stop right outside running a regular service to the city centre during the day, avoiding the need to find parking. In the evening just a short drive to one of York’s many restaurants or pubs.

Service was good and room was well appointed in the manner of the history of the building with a few querky touches if you looked for them. We were also upgraded on arrival which is always a nice touch!

We really enjoyed the spa, used the swimming pool daily and treated ourselves to the odd treatment.

We didn’t use the restaurant in the evening opting to explore York instead but the menu was impressive, albeit a little on the expensive side. The breakfasts were fantastic though!

Overall a really enjoyable stay, and really pleased with deal we had not so sure if we would have rated quite as high if we had paid full price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank veno
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Wonderful hotel & grounds, Yorkshire breakfast was so nice we had it three days in a row.Gardens were exceptional and perfect to relax in.Hotel rooms are furnished in traditional country house style and ours was roomy with 6 foot wide bed very comfy.
The spa was in a seperate building opposite the hotel the only downfall was the restriction on children who were not allowed to use the spa outside of certain times
Whilst in york we checked out the other 4 star hotels just for comparison and we were glad we chose to stay at Middlethorpe Hall

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends