“What a great surprise”

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
West Sussex
“What a great surprise”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights on business and did not expect what i found.

What a lovely hotel with exceptional and friendly service.

Stayed in a courtyard room which was very quaint. Only issue is noise from rooms above due to nature of old building, slamming doors and could not turn shower on without getting wet!

Great food, lovely gardens and nice looking spa. Love to return for a spa break with the girls

• Stayed July 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 July 2011

It has been three weeks since we have returned home from a trip to London and York. While in York, we visited Middlethorpe Hall twice for luncheon. Not a day has passed that we do not fondly remember those two delightful afternoons. On our first visit, Michael, the Head Concierge, welcomed us so warmly. We explored the beautiful gardens, a mix of tamed and wild beauty, and decided this was our favorite garden we visited while in England. After a game of chess in the drawing room, we enjoyed a delicious lunch with truly excellent service. When Michael learned that our daughter played the piano, he guided us to the reception hall where the wonderful Zimmerman piano allowed her fingers to play for the first time in ten days. At the end of the afternoon, we felt we had been blissfully transported in time and space, experiencing both a cozy and luxurious taste of life in a manor house. Because we had such a lovely time, we returned two days later with two friends from Scotland. We guided them through the gardens, which they loved as much as we did. Then, we had another delicious lunch. Our two afternoons at Middlethorpe Hall gave us two of the loveliest memories of our trip. Do not hesitate to go for a morning or afternoon. Enjoy a delicious. Walk in the gardens. Read or play a game of chess. You will find yourself relaxing with a smile a on your face.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hermionejg
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The whole team made our 10th wedding anniversary stay very pleasant indeed. The hotel is in a lovely setting and within very easy reach of York city centre as well as Castle Howard and other places of interest. The room was very comfortable; the food and wine were super and the staff were extremely helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed it and felt more like house guests than 'customers'. The spa staff were also excellent.

The only drawback is the traffic noise from the A64 although it's only really noticeable from the garden. We enjoyed it so much we have re-booked for Christmas 2011. Highly recommended.

2 Thank TimandKaren3
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I have just spent my first ever stay at Middlethorpe Hall this Friday and would just like to give you some feedback regarding this.

Overall my visit was first class. The courtesy and professionalism of your staff exceeded my expectations, they were helpful, informative and bent over backwards to ensure that my stay was as hassle free, and relaxing as possible.

I also had dinner in your restaurant on Friday evening. The quality of the service, helpfulness of the staff and the meal itself were absolutely outstanding. I really enjoyed having pre and post dinner drinks in the drawing room, which impressed a great deal. I was recommended to make a reservation at your restaurant on my arrival as it could get quite busy, and having eaten there, I can fully understand why.

The restoration of the setting was amazing and whilst my stay was only for a single night, I did feel like I had a very relaxing and worthwhile stay. I did not use the Spa facilities on this occassion, however I did enjoy the walled gardens and a walk around the lake.

I would be very grateful if you could extend my thanks to your staff and I will certainly be looking forward to returning to your hotel at some point in the future as well as recommending to all my friends and associates.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HHH888
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed at this lovely Hotel for two nights in a courtyard room. We were upgraded on arrival.The room was charming, with a lovely view of the courtyard. The Hotel itself is
beautiful, a lovely country house. The gardens and grounds are delightful. The staff are very friendly and helpful. You feel well and truly pampered. If requested early morning tea or coffee is brought to your room and at night they come and turn down the bed. Breakfast was most enjoyable, waitress service and not a buffet. Help yourself to juice and cereal then your cooked breakfast, toast, tea or coffee is bought to you. A wonderful stay, we would most definitely return.The only slight probem that I had was, being quite short, I found it hard to put the plug in the bath and turn the taps on because of the glass partition. Also if you have a ground floor room you are fully aware of the people walking across the floor upstairs.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

From the moment we arrived and were upgraded we knew we had chosen the right place. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and the swimming pool and spa is a wonderful way to relax. You can have tea on the terrace or in the lounge overlooking the sunken garden where you can also enoy an aperitif on the comfortable sofas before dinner. Every request is met with a smile and the response "No problem". The bedrooms are spacious and comfortable and, because the hotel is off the main road, peaceful. This is indeed a luxurious escape but you can also go into York and walk the walls, see the museums, take a boat trip on the river, go to the theatre or explore the shambles. We were reluctant to leave and will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Phone and discuss what is available.