Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,401 results
All reviewsthe main housedrawing roomnational trustdownton abbeyearly morning teacottage suitecountry housestately homestable blockpublic roomshomemade biscuitson arrivalyork suitesteam roomyorkshire breakfastrelaxing breakroad noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I booked this through my companies travel agents for one night and did not have any preconceptions before my stay. What I can say is that it was one of the best hotels I have ever been to. I was in one of the courtyard rooms which were spacious, clean and well appointed. I went in to the spa for a swim and the pool was fantastic. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant and can honestly say that it is up there with the top restaurants I have visited, but the overwhelming memory of Middlethorpe was the absolutely fantastic service that I received from every single member of staff. I live about 250 miles away and was there on business but will definitely be going back with my wife for a trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2013

This place is just lovely , calm , interesting and amazing soup ,the gardens were interesting even on a damp January morning ,the spa had a good swimming pool for the size of the spa , but the treatments were amazing we enoyed our visit so much we extended it by an extra nite , thank you for making our stay very relaxed

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank travelertogo_10
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My Husband booked this only on the Wednesday prior to staying on the Saturday night. This was a treat having had an awful emotional family loss earlier in the week.
He had booked a Deluxe room but on checking in we were upgraded to a Suite in The Courtyard. What can I say but SUPERB.
Having been a Hotelier .....I can be picky but there was nothing to grumble about. Full marks all round.
Dinner was excellant, service faultless, all staff were courteous and friendly. There are too many details and fantastic touches to mention.
The only 2 grumbles was the bathroom.. far too small. (my shower at home is the size of this bathroom) and THE COLD TAP WAS stuck, so could not use. Shower was working and wonderfull.
To be fair the Duty Manager rang the room to offer us the use of another room for a bath if we required. Now that is what finer details mean to us and appreciate.
The other grumble was the pair of "elephants" that were in the room upstairs very heavy feet.

Will be putting this Hotel on my WISH LIST of places to go and be pampered / spoilt again.
Very Very Well Done to all concerned.

Room Tip: Courtyard suite fantastic but go for an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank northerngolfers
Reviewed 28 January 2013

As always I'll write a detailed review below but overall summary was that we had a brilliant evening, dinner and stay using all the hotel facilities over a 1 night stay for the Burns Night Whisky Tasting experience. The staff were really helpful and welcoming, a lovely clean and spacious room and a fantastic dinner service and breakfast - highly recommended.

Background:
28 and 27 year old couple stayed on a special evening event night for Burns night with dinner and whisky tasting. This included a double room, dinner on the evening of arrival, full use of the spa facilities, breakfast and afternoon tea.

Arrival and room:
A real friendly, professional and welcoming arrival at the hotel - the grounds and buildings are very nice and we had a quick tour of the hotel whilst our bags were taken to our room - excellent.
The room itself was set in the stable courtyard, it looks fantastic and the room itself was spacious and clean. A nice double bed with all the info and amenities you could need. The bathroom was very clean and inviting and the room was warm and had everything we could want. It's decor is antique furniture and an older style which is in fitting with the hotel, it is not modern.

Staff:
excellent, very friendly, attentive and pleasant all the time. It snowed on our departure date and many cars were snowed in, the staff in the grounds offered to help clear snow off the guests cars and first thing in the morning all the pathways had been cleared and gritted. Service at dinner and breakfast was excellent, as was the arrival procedure.

Food:
The dinner evening was very well run and they do plenty of options such as the whisky tasting that we enjoyed, but also champagne nights which other guests highly recommended. The food itself was excellent, cooked very well, a contemporary style of dining in a classy historic environment - breakfast was excellent also with a lot of choice of cooked, continental and classic. Again highly recommended.

Room excellent, they even had umbrellas for use if there was rain. hotel excellent. Spa facilities are great; sauna, steam room, showers, Jacuzzi, swimming pool, treatments (we didn't use these), and a fitness suite. The fitness suite is separated from the main spa area and is small, it was really nice as myself and my partner used the room but any more people would have been a squeeze in there. But saying that it had everything we wanted to use; cross trainer, rowing machine, treadmill, bike, a combi gym machine with weights and various smaller items.

The area:
The surrounding area is very nice, a short walk to Bishopsthorpe which is a nice small village outside of York with lovely churches and Bishopsthorpe palace which is quite impressive. Nice for walks with a few pubs nearby, it is also close enough to the racecourse.

Result:
Highly recommended, we would definitely go back there and thoroughly enjoyed our entire stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob T
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Copious amounts of helpful staff. Traditional fare. Comfortable and opulent eighteenth century country house/ National Trust feel. Quiet and I slept like a log (except for some inconsiderate guests giggling and stumbling back to their room at 1 am). Probably wouldn't suit anyone who wanted liveliness, or families with youngsters but if you seek a degree of reserved tranquility and comfort, this is your place. Good breakfast included in price. Snow fell during the night to yield a Christmas card scene. Despite olde worlde feel did have free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main house..
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business