“A DELIGHTFUL ESCAPE”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights for a romantic valentine getaway.We had a lovely time. The staff make you feel so welcome and nothing is to much trouble, Sam being one of the team greeted us at the door and helped us to our room with our bags and was more than happy to take us round pointing out were the hotel facilities were.
When the running of a hotel is as organized to this standard it can have an effect on the staff they can become too occupied trying hard to get everything just right that they forget to smile and make the guest feel welcome... NOT AT MIDDLETHORPE HALL.From the staff (Julia and the manager on duty 13th+14th of february) the girls on reception,to the lady who takes your breakfast order to the gardener they are all accommodating and friendly and I am sure that is the very reason Middlethorpe Hall has a real feel of home.
Yes the furniture at close inspection can look a little tired but with real honesty I quite like that I feel it gives the place true charm and warmth,it is spotlessly clean and has the aroma of fresh flowers.The grounds are beautiful we are looking forward to visiting again when the gardens are blooming.

Room Tip: when booking a double if your not happy to have two singles to be put together then say so.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shellandpaul

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at Middlethorpe and sometimes you remember places better than they were not Middlethorpe. The whole experience was excellent from the beautiful
rooms (every aspect sends you back in time with the luxuries of modern life) to the quality of the food outstanding in every part and the superb service it was a delightful trip. If I have a slight criticism it is that the fitness room is too small please extend it a little.

Room Tip: we have stayed in the courtyard suites and the cottage and garden suites both excellent
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeStone
Reviewed 20 February 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank RickDawnLyne
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I organised a murder mystery independently of the hotel to be held at the hotel. The staff were very accommodating, and it was a lovely setting and atmosphere to hold an event such as this. I had an amazing night and a large part of that was down to how brilliant the hotel was on the night. Our wine glasses were constantly topped up and they worked closely with the murder mystery company to create a brilliant experience. Well done Middlethorpe!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We came to middlethorpe hall for a valentines/birthday get away, the hotel is very clean and tidy amazing rooms with all original period features, on our arrival we found hat we had been upgraded to a suite which was a lovely suprise, we had breakfast the next morning which was also to a very good standard with a lot of choice all staff are friendly and helpful, we are a young couple however still where made to feel very comfortable. Would defiantly recommend

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We were 3 friends returning to Middlethorpe for a special lunch in the Oak Room followed by a wonderful decleor facial treatment in the Middlethorpe Spa. We cannot fault the level of genuinely friendly and personal service both in the restaurant and the spa. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and portions were robust, served on immaculate crockery and glassware. Perfect thank you!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jackie C
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I booked this through my companies travel agents for one night and did not have any preconceptions before my stay. What I can say is that it was one of the best hotels I have ever been to. I was in one of the courtyard rooms which were spacious, clean and well appointed. I went in to the spa for a swim and the pool was fantastic. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant and can honestly say that it is up there with the top restaurants I have visited, but the overwhelming memory of Middlethorpe was the absolutely fantastic service that I received from every single member of staff. I live about 250 miles away and was there on business but will definitely be going back with my wife for a trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business