“Lovely anniversary weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
Leeds
“Lovely anniversary weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We don't normally stay at hotels as grand as this one but for our 25th wedding anniversary we decided to treat ourselves. It delivered on all fronts. Staff were fantastic and the place is not stuffy or over formal. Room in main building was very nice and the food was fantastic. Prices a little on the high side but it was a special occasion. We used the spa a couple of times and my wife was very happy with her treatments. Nice pool.

The hotel was a little quiet but I've no complaints about that.

I would stay there again when I've saved up and would thoroughly recommend it as a place to treat yourselves to.

Room Tip: We stayed in main house. If you have trouble with stairs the courtyard rooms may work better for you...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

The red carpet was rolled out for my mother's surprise 70th birthday tea party at Middlethorpe Hall. We were given a private room with a roaring fire, a huge bottle of champagne, delicious cakes and scones as well as a personalised birthday cake. The service was first class, with staff managing to be incredibly warm and helpful at the same time as being unobtrusive.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vanessa J
preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

The hotel and spa cannot be faulted; a great place for a get away. The staff are superb, and nothing is too much trouble.We had booked a superior courtyard room, and were upgraded on arrival to a really beautiful room in the actual hotel building; the room (5) has lovely views, furniture in keeping with the period, and quirky uneven floors etc which add to the feel that you REALLY are staying in a national trust property; we felt like we were on the set of Downton abbey at times! The bed was comfortable, and we had 2 enormous windows looking out over the front, with views of the racecourse at the side. The spa was a delight with a super pool, big enough for a swim, jaccuzzi and steam/sauna rooms; we visited 3 times and hardly ever found anyone else there, so it was lovely and quiet. Upstairs they do the treatments; i have a marvellous "orange blossom experience" (facial and massage) which I can recommend; its an hour an ahalf treatment, and leaves you feeling fully relaxed and chilled.
We also enjoyed 2 nights eating in the restaurant, with the food being truly excellent; you feel priveledged to eat in such fab surroundings, and the food itself was fab (I recommend the duck). The chef is a cut above I think; everything is cooked to perfection, served in a timely fashion, and presented really well. Admittedly wine is very expensive, but if you get the house wine by the glass that is not so expensive, and was of good quality. We also had the afternoon tea, served in a main room overlooking the lawns at the back of the building; cake/sandwiches and tea served impecably. Breakfast too was great, with the staff coping with a smile even during a busy weekend rush (it was easter sunday, the hour had gone forward, and all the guests seemed to come down at the last minute!).
Who could ask for more? Oh yes, ALL the staff are friendly, helpful and generous with their time. This includes the lovely doorman who welcomes you and carries your bags whilst giving you a short history of the place, the reception staff, the cleaning ladies, the restaurant and spa staff. They all excude calm, and a feeling of pride in their hotel!
And a lovely easter egg left in the room was another super touch.
What a star place. We will go back. Do yourself a favour and book in for a chilled and/or romantic break.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

My friend and I booked into Middlethorpe Hall last minute after being snowed out of our b&b in the Dales and I'm so glad we were. Middlethorpe is owned by the National Trust and has been meticulously decorated in what I can only describe as the Jane Austen era. We were shown around the property by a helpful young man who pointed out the different lounges and sitting rooms at our disposal all with fires and armchairs. Our luggage was taken up to our room for us and we were shown there up the main staircase and around the many corridors.

Rooms are simple with nice furniture and touches, we had a twin room with enormously high ceilings and period furniture. Lovely. The bathroom was clean and had Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries, bathrobes and fluffy towels so nothing to complain about there!

We ate in the restaurant that night and my oh my the food and wine were absolutely superb! I had the neck of Cumbrian lamb which was so tender...mouthwatering! And you must try the sticky toffee pudding soufflé...it's beyond incredible. The menu isn't cheap, you're looking at around £12-£15 for starters and desserts and about £25 for a main but it's absolutely worth it - this was the best meal I had in a long time and my compliments to the chef! Waiter service is also excellent and I was surprised actually at just how good the service was. Nothing was too much trouble and your wine glass was quietly replenished without you noticing.

After dinner we relaxed in the library which is just likely something out of Pride and Prejudice before rolling up to bed for a good nights sleep. Come morning we went down for breakfast where we found a good selection of continental and cooked foods including local sausages, bacon and black pudding. Again service was great with a friendly and charming lady catering to our needs.

We didn't partake of the spa while we were up or the grounds as it was snowing but I would definitely go to this hotel again and use those facilities. I loved our stay here and cannot rave about the food enough...a real unexpected treat.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I've known and used Middlethorpe Hall for many years (even before it was restored and a nightclub!). I feared when the National Trust took it over the excellent standards of service, food and accommodation might deteriorate. My recent family visits in recent weeks reveal no need to have worried. It is still magnificent with truly excellent service.

If you enjoy racing Middlethorpe is close to the excellent York Racecourse and is used by discerning racegoers.

Also and this is a little quirky. It is close to the York Crematorium (and the Archbishop's Palace if it comes to that). We have found it a useful venue for catering and accommodation for funeral 'guests'.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank davidoldbyland
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

My husband and I enjoyed an amazing weekend at Middlethorpe Hall, a wonderful country residence owned by the National Trust. We were treated extremely well and the staff were friendly, polite and courteous as well as extremely professional. We were delighted with the service and attention was given down to the finest detail.
Meals were excellent and we even provided with packed lunches for both days. Accommodation was outstanding and the room service was very carefully attended to. The spa, swimming pool and beauty treatment facilities were an added bonus and everything was done in a very discreet and caring way. Room service was available 24 hours. We thoroughly recommend this wonderful venue for a break.

Geraldton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

What a fabulous experience. My new home I'd like to think!! What a luxurious stay of 2 nights. My friend Jenny and I had a wonderful, if not very cold stay. We visited and had pre booked various Spa treatments for both days. The girls at the Spa were delightful. Very pleasant. Reasonably priced as well.Breakfast was included each morning and very nice and we ate far too much! The service was excellent throughout the whole Hotel. Totally wonderful. We ate in the Restaurant both evenings and it was superb. Tea and coffee could be brought to the room at any time. We ventured into the Gardens even though it was cold and raining. To return in the Summer would be heavenly. Many Snowdrops were about under trees. I could move in permanently I feel!! Loved it

Room Tip: We had a room in the Courtyard which was lovely. Ask for a downstairs room if you require.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends