“Breathtaking house, of such style and tranquillity, just outside busy York”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We arrived at Middlethorpe Hall in pouring rain. It did not matter. The warmth of our welcome, our fabulous suite in the main house, wonderful food and a marvellous Pool & Spa made this a most wonderful stay from the moment we arrived till we left. Without exception, every member of staff whom we encountered had the right mix of professionalism and friendliness. Being a National Trust Hotel, we fully appreciated the efforts taken to fit-out this lovely hotel in keeping with its time...and yet no comfort is spared. It sort of felt like Jane Austen with mod cons!!! A most gorgeous place. Well done to the whole team. I must also mention how glorious the gardens are. Thanks a million.

Room Tip: We loved the main house; it felt lovely to come down that wonderful stairs in the morning! But, I m...
1  Thank blackrockDublin

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed for a short visit with a friend. It was delightful - the hotel and gardens are beautiful. My room was in a pretty annexe, very comfortable. The food was delicious. We received a warm welcome and the whole experience was excellent. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. We stayed in one of the four poster bedrooms in the main house, I loved every minute of it, and recommend it highly. The pool was a great addition to our trip. Breakfast was delicious and presented very well.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having married here 16 years ago, we returned for a special Anniversary celebration. We were lucky to get a last minute table reservation despite York Race week..... And we were not disappointed.

Greeted at the door and taken through to the beautiful Drawing Room for drinks and canapés.....a taste of what was to come. We began with scallops served with seaweed and then a good robust portion of Yorkshire Lamb. I don't recall exactly the cut or how it was cooked however the presentation, the sauce and the overall flavour .......how to describe that feeling that you never want it to end! All washed down with a fantastic Rufus Stone - Heathcote Shiraz as recommended by knowledgeable manager Adam. Our only regret was that we were not able to stay that night! Keep it up, you all do it so very well. Thank you. Jackie Crawford

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed for 2 nights as a relaxing break with my partner. We received a warm welcome and were upgraded to a suite which was wonderful. All the facilities were spot on and working.

My only gripe was that there was no music anywhere. I understand it's in keeping with the tradition of the hotel, but the atmosphere at breakfast, dinner and in the drawing room was stifling. I really don't want my dinner conversation overheard when I'm paying nearly £200 for it. My partner and i clinked glasses and it echoed through the silence of the dinner hall. The drawing room was only ever used by one couple at a time as it felt too awkward to be in there when someone else was. It's a shame as it really spoiled the atmosphere and made it very formal.

I loved the gardens and the food was brilliant, it's just a real shame the atmosphere felt a bit too stuffy, I wouldn't go back due to this. Perhaps I'm used to more modern hotels and it's just not to my taste.

1  Thank heyjo
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We have just been married at Middlethorpe Hall and had a fantastic day. The hotel is really beautiful and the gardens equally so. The manager and his staff could not have been more friendly or helpful and the wedding co-ordinator was brilliant at making everything run smoothly and putting you at ease. The food was excellent. We had a small wedding however Middlethorpe hall made it very special.
The room we stayed in (Room 2) was fantastic with lots of character and a huge queen size bed.
We would like to say a big thank you to all the staff who helped to make our day so special.The hotel was beautiful, and our guests couldn't believe the lovely setting.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I highly encourage everyone planning a trip to York ( or its environs) to stay at Middlethorpe Hall. It is a wonderful place. A short bus or cab ride from City Centre, but a zillion miles away (figuratively) from the hustle and bustle that I encountered when touring the sights in York. Middlethorpe Hall is the perfect place to relax. The gardens are absolutely beautiful and there's plenty of space to just walk and explore. The staff does everything they can to accommodate. Everyone one is smiling and helpful and they truly make you feel right at home. One thing I noticed as well is that staff members are always visible making improvements to the home and gardens. Everything is impeccable to begin with, but seeing members of staff 'keeping everything up' is just so heartening. Makes one feel that this place will be here for future guests to enjoy for years and years to come. Let's all hope so.

A Must Do: Afternoon Tea in the beautiful drawing room. It's not to be missed!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo