“English charm”

Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
San Francisco, California
“English charm”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had a girl's weekend away and stayed in one of the courtyard rooms--but it was so romantic that I wish I had come with my significant other! We were lucky to have lovely weather and greatly enjoyed walking the immaculate grounds. We would highly recommend dining in as the food was delicious. Middlethorpe was everything we expected from a country house and fulfilled our American imaginings of a Bronte novel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank usatouae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rochester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A a long-time National Trust member, I was intrigued to find out some time ago that they'd acquired three country house hotels - and then I forgot all about it, until I was looking for somewhere to stay close to York whilst en route between the Scottish Highlands and my home in Kent. Middlethorpe Hall was well-located for my plans - and, to my surprise, offered very reasonable special offer rates including Yorkshire breakfast - so it seemed an ideal opportunity to tick another National Trust property off my list.

My room, in the courtyard, was attractively decorated in traditional style, with a pleasant en suite bathroom: one of the simpler rooms in a hotel where the accommodation goes up to Very Grand Indeed, but fine for my needs. The main disadvantage of the courtyard location was the short outdoor walk to the main house - however, umbrellas are helpfully provided in case of rain.

The house itself is an elegant foursquare William-and-Mary building, with lovely public rooms full of paintings and antiques - much as you might expect from a National Trust house, only this time you're living in it! The gardens, too, are everything you would hope for: parkland to walk in (there are footpaths which will take you in to York city centre, about a mile and a half away), and lovely walled gardens full of colourful flowers (which I rushed about photographing before impending rain set in). Service was friendly and attentive.

Being tired after a day's driving from Dumfries and through the Yorkshire Dales (great fun!), I didn't have the energy to try out the Spa (use of which was included in my booking) or the restaurant (the menu looked good, if expensive) - which probably means I shall need to return another time, perhaps with friends since spas and fine dining are generally more fun with company. Afternoon tea looks fun, too...

So, would I go back? Yes - preferably when I have more time to relax and enjoy all that Middlethorpe Hall has to offer. Would I recommend it to other people? Yes, certainly - particularly to anyone who loves British history and tradition ('Downton Abbey' and 'Upstairs, Downstairs' fans, and my favourite Americans, this means you!), or who is looking for somewhere with real character for a special break.

Room Tip: Middlethorpe offers a wide range of rooms - all pleasant, essentially you get what you pay for in te...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Sara F
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Me and my mum visited here for an introductory spa day for my birthday this week and it really was a treat. We were greated on arrival with coffee and biscuits and shown through the spa and facilities that were on offer. It was a lovely day, felt completely chilled and in such a lovely location. The spa was small but a great, I preferred this as you felt like you weren't just a number.
Lunch was fabulous! We had the mushroom soup to start and fish gougons for main with creme brulee for desert. Although completely full up, it was all very enjoyable.
The staff were all very friendly and the therapists were great. We were given a consultation before both full body massage and facial (I would definitely recommend both).
It was great to be asked what we wanted from the massage i.e. relaxation etc. The massage lasted the full length of the description so you really get what you pay for!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone. Great location, friendly staff, beautiful gardens, fabulous spa and not too big!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rachel220793
Orange, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely two days here. The bed was just the thing for a good nights sleep. Had an excellent breakfast and had one dinner in house which was 'fine dining' - just right.
Loved to be able stroll through the gardens and park.

• Stayed July 2013
Leamington Spa
Reviewed 20 July 2013

It was a real treat to stay here. We had a courtyard suite with a sitting room and a small kitchenette. Everything had been thought of in the room including real tea and ground coffee which I really appreciate. We had dinner one night in the restaurant and it was very good especially the soufflé! I could not eat a poached egg that had only been cooked long enough to just set it. I have never come across this before and I assume there was something which I missed in the menu which would have warned me.
Breakfast was good. Everyone was very helpful. This was a lovely couple of days break back in my home county of North Yorkshire. Easy to get a taxi into York and to visit attend Ripon races

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Our three-day stay in early June was a real treat, just the perfect country house experience we were seeking on a two-week tour of the English countryside. Our room in the late seventeenth century manor house was bright, comfortable and spacious. We loved wandering through the grounds, with a well-manicured park, woodlands and a small lake. The terrace was delightful for tea. The large main drawing room was the spirited gathering point for guests before dinner. The food was superb; the lamb the best dish of our whole journey. The staff was helpful and attentive. Downtown York, a short taxi ride (7-8 pounds) away, is home to some excellent museums, historic town houses and great antique and old book stores. Take advantage of the hotel's special package rates with dinner and extras. Tom G

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Staff is exceptional, facilities are excellent and food was very good. Easy drive into York and close to golf. Nice spa and swimming pool.
Tea and coffee in room. Nice touches with bottled water and excellent shortbread cookies.

• Stayed July 2013