“It was amazing as soon as u turned the corner .”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
“It was amazing as soon as u turned the corner .”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Attentive from start to finish. Beautiful setting with astonishing grounds. wonderful food with too many great options for one night. I didn't have time to visit the spa/ gym but will do next time as i will be sure to visit again. Highlight of my visit to York .

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 July 2013

While visiting York and lodging at the Cedar Court Hotel in central York, we felt that dining in a 'great house' nearby would be a worthwhile experience, and we were not disappointed. Middlethorpe Hall is a beautiful and romantic hotel, and, while we can't comment on the accommodations and hotel service, we can attest that our lunch in its elegant restaurant was all that we'd hoped for. A delicious meal enhanced by flawless, warm service. Our pleasure was vastly increased when we learned that we could enjoy the delicious dessert and tea on the lovely grounds behind the mansion. This was graciously served to us and we then spent considerable time walking the grounds and the charming sculptured English garden. It was like stepping back to an earlier, more serene time. Although not inexpensive, my wife and I felt it was definitely good value for the money and highly recommend this experience at Middlethorpe to those visiting York.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

we really enjoyed this place. Service was good.
We had a relaxing time .
We had a girl's weekend away and stayed in one of the courtyard rooms.
The rooms were lovely, nice deco. We made use of the swimming pool. :)
It was nice stay

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We've stayed at this hotel's sister hotel, Bodysgallen, on several occasions and always had a great time and so we thought that we'd give Middlethorpe a visit.
When we arrived the receptionist was checking us in when the phone rang. Even though there were two other staff members present she stopped serving us to take the call - not a good start.
The room was okay but rather small and there was a lot of road noise as the A64 runs alongside the hotel. As this was in the heatwave we had no choice but to sleep with the windows open.
Dinner the first night was very nice and a pleasant experience. However breakfast the next morning certainly was not. We took our table and waited and waited and waited. Eventually someone took our order for one tea and one coffee. We then waited and waited and waited. We then caught the attention of one of the staff and asked where our tea and coffee was. They apologised and said that they were busy that morning - strangely there were several tables empty and so they were not operating to capacity and also there were a lot of staff around avoiding eye contact. Anyway the coffee arrived but no tea so we waited and waited and waited (there is a definite theme here). Again we complained to a staff member and eventually got the tea. Too late really as breakfast was spoilt. Also they ran out of pancakes!!! Just make some more batter - or perhaps they buy them in.
Dinner on the second night did not start well. You go to the drawing room for a pre-dinner drink and to study the menu. We arrived and although there were many staff around we waited and waited and waited. Eventually when we did get our food selected and seated in the restaurant the food was very nice and the staff waiting in the restaurant were very efficient - perhaps they should show the others how it is done.
All in all the very poor service spoilt our weekend at what is a very expensive hotel.
Following a complaint to the General Manager we have been offered a free upgrade and champagne on our next visit - the thing is that it is very unlikely that there will be a next visit. In future we shall stick with going to Bodysgallen.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ZacMonaco
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had a girl's weekend away and stayed in one of the courtyard rooms--but it was so romantic that I wish I had come with my significant other! We were lucky to have lovely weather and greatly enjoyed walking the immaculate grounds. We would highly recommend dining in as the food was delicious. Middlethorpe was everything we expected from a country house and fulfilled our American imaginings of a Bronte novel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank usatouae
Rochester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A a long-time National Trust member, I was intrigued to find out some time ago that they'd acquired three country house hotels - and then I forgot all about it, until I was looking for somewhere to stay close to York whilst en route between the Scottish Highlands and my home in Kent. Middlethorpe Hall was well-located for my plans - and, to my surprise, offered very reasonable special offer rates including Yorkshire breakfast - so it seemed an ideal opportunity to tick another National Trust property off my list.

My room, in the courtyard, was attractively decorated in traditional style, with a pleasant en suite bathroom: one of the simpler rooms in a hotel where the accommodation goes up to Very Grand Indeed, but fine for my needs. The main disadvantage of the courtyard location was the short outdoor walk to the main house - however, umbrellas are helpfully provided in case of rain.

The house itself is an elegant foursquare William-and-Mary building, with lovely public rooms full of paintings and antiques - much as you might expect from a National Trust house, only this time you're living in it! The gardens, too, are everything you would hope for: parkland to walk in (there are footpaths which will take you in to York city centre, about a mile and a half away), and lovely walled gardens full of colourful flowers (which I rushed about photographing before impending rain set in). Service was friendly and attentive.

Being tired after a day's driving from Dumfries and through the Yorkshire Dales (great fun!), I didn't have the energy to try out the Spa (use of which was included in my booking) or the restaurant (the menu looked good, if expensive) - which probably means I shall need to return another time, perhaps with friends since spas and fine dining are generally more fun with company. Afternoon tea looks fun, too...

So, would I go back? Yes - preferably when I have more time to relax and enjoy all that Middlethorpe Hall has to offer. Would I recommend it to other people? Yes, certainly - particularly to anyone who loves British history and tradition ('Downton Abbey' and 'Upstairs, Downstairs' fans, and my favourite Americans, this means you!), or who is looking for somewhere with real character for a special break.

Room Tip: Middlethorpe offers a wide range of rooms - all pleasant, essentially you get what you pay for in te...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Sara F
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Me and my mum visited here for an introductory spa day for my birthday this week and it really was a treat. We were greated on arrival with coffee and biscuits and shown through the spa and facilities that were on offer. It was a lovely day, felt completely chilled and in such a lovely location. The spa was small but a great, I preferred this as you felt like you weren't just a number.
Lunch was fabulous! We had the mushroom soup to start and fish gougons for main with creme brulee for desert. Although completely full up, it was all very enjoyable.
The staff were all very friendly and the therapists were great. We were given a consultation before both full body massage and facial (I would definitely recommend both).
It was great to be asked what we wanted from the massage i.e. relaxation etc. The massage lasted the full length of the description so you really get what you pay for!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone. Great location, friendly staff, beautiful gardens, fabulous spa and not too big!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family