“Perfect way to relax”

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Perfect way to relax”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Spent two very relaxing days at Middlethorpe Hall from the moment we arrived until the moment we departed.

What an absolute pleasure to receive such excellent, polite, friendly and efficient service - the management must be extremely delighted with the standard and expertise of their staff.

Nobody calling us 'guys' or 'mate' just pure politeness.

The afternoon tea was first class as were all the meals, beautifully presented and tasted just as good as well - yes it might be on the expensive side but it is worth every penny.

As it says in the brochure despite all the refurbishment the management have kept it in keeping with former days - and they have got that just right.

The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed a full day in York with the bus stop only being at the end of the drive and across the road a lovely walk to the National Trust house of the Terry's family which takes you across York race course.

We also indulged in a spa treatment, again staff could not be faulted. Lovely indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi.

If you are looking for a perfect way to relax - this is it.

Room Tip: We had one which overlooked the grounds but there are also some cottages in the courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We were on the tail end of our two-week visit to England and Wales, having stayed in a range of B&Bs, modern chain hotels and manor-style inns, and would say that our two nights at Middlethorpe were some of the best of the entire trip.

The property is absolutely lovely and both of our rooms were spectacular: high ceilings poster beds, amazing views of the property. Bathrooms were a little snug, but worked just fine. The service was spot on and the price was just right as well. Even the dinner we had one night far exceeded our expectations (will give a separate review). Fantastic!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here on a Monday evening at the beginning of October. Excellent stay from the minute I entered the hotel. Staff were friendly and hotel was clean, tidy and well presented. The attention to detail was obvious. I need to leave at 7am the next day, this was not a problem for breakfast as room service served up a bacon sandwich and best coffee ever. My room was excellent and the bed very comfortable. Well done to the hotel team for all of the hard work they do.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Came here with my girlfriend in the summer for a weekend break was excellent very clean rooms were lovely would recommend this to anyone! Great atmosphere and very clean inside and out. The staff was welcoming helpful and attentive! Great weekend break!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel last Saturday and everything was just perfect in every way.

Every member of staff greeted me with a smile and nothing was too much
trouble to any of them. I particularly appreciated the use of the private
room to entertain my guests which they loved.

The food I had delivered to my room was delicious and I must say the
shortbread served with the coffee and on the hospitality tray in the room was easily the best I have ever tasted and I'm Scottish so I've sampled a lot!
I will definitely return to Middlethorpe and have already
highly recommended it to many friends and business contacts who
travel to Yorkshire frequently.

Room Tip: I stayed in room number 6 in the house itself. It commands lovely views over uninterrupted countrys...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We had a delightful stay at Middlethorpe Hall. The staff are welcoming, helpful and attentive. The bedrooms are quiet, well decorated and clean. Food is well prepared, imaginative and served in stupendous surroundings. The hotel is within walking distance of the racecourse and adjacent to a frequent bus route into Central York (where cars are not welcome!). We unreservedly recommend Middlethorpe Hall - you will rarely find a better hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patdixon49
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I spent a couple of days here, and I can honestly say it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It is a beautiful, elegant country house. I went with my daughter who has been very ill, and we thought this would be just the thing to aid her recovery. We were right. We stayed in the converted stable block. The room was beautiful, spotlessly clean, warm and welcoming. The homemade biscuits and early morning drinks were the icing on the cake.

The gym was small but had everything a person needs, and the spa area particularly relaxing. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious, we didn't eat again until the evening. Our dinner was also wonderful

The thing that made this short break so special was the quality of the staff. From the minute we arrived to the minute we departed they were, without exception, friendly, courteous and helpful. Never too familiar, they struck just the right tone to make us feel welcome and spoiled. I think they are this hotel's greatest asset.

All in all, a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family