1,450 results
All reviewsthe main housedrawing roomnational trustdownton abbeyearly morning teacountry housestately homepublic roomson arrivalsteam roomrelaxing breakyorkshire breakfastroad noisebirthday treatwonderful hotelyork racecoursebeautiful building
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Having read some of the recent reviews I must be living in a parallel universe. I've stayed at Middlethorpe a number of times over the last 20 years and have never seen signs of capital expenditure over that period. The building is undoubtedly impressive but the constant background noise of the A64 extinguishes any pretence of being a country house hotel.

This visit was to see my parents, and having three children in tow we paid for a two bed cottage and a room in the main house for my parents. Bearing in mind that the hotel presents itself as a luxury country house hotel we were surprised to be presented with a cottage that was straight from the pages of an English Country Cottages brochure circa 1986. Our rate was £430 for the night and we had only a single bathroom with a small tank of water.

Suffice to say the hotel now donates all of its (probably rapidly diminishing) profits to the National Trust. My bill for a tired cottage and a room in the main house with uninteresting food and (charming but poorly trained) staff was just under £1,000. I suspect this is what happens when a not for profit body tries to run a business. All I can say is that eventually it will fail. If they were building cars the outcome would be a TR7.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Fourseasonsplease
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We are sorry if these guests did not enjoy their second visit to the National Trust’s Middlethorpe Hall & Spa. However, we regret their sarcastic tone, unfounded allegations, factual inaccuracies and criticisms towards the charity.

We hope that this review will be read in the context of over 93% of past visitors commenting favourably about our hotel facilities: - our current rating on Tripadvisor.

We would also kindly ask this reviewer to convey our gratitude to his parents for their gratuity to the team and kind comments at the time of their departure.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Middlethorpe Hall is handsome red brick house built in 1699 as a private home on the outskirts of York . Set in 20 acres of well kept grounds , managed by a knowledgable and cheerfull team of gardeners . Our welcome was warm and efficient ,and the layout of the hotel fully explained . We were shown to our accommodation in the courtyard a few yards from the hotel . Our suite consisted of a good sized bedroom with TV , an extremley well fitted bathroom , small kitchen with a fridge ,fresh milk , ground coffee and leaf tea and a sitting room with sofa , easy chairs ,tv . writing desk .There was everything you could wish for in a good hotel , a safe , good lighting ,plenty of warm fluffy towels and toiletries, large towelling robes . a good supply of mineral water and home-made biscuits . We ate in the restaurant both evenings , the food was excellent as was the service. The atmosphere in the dining room was relaxed and comfortable with plenty of laughter not quiet and strained like some good restaurants can be.This hotel deserves praise as obviously great care is taken to ensure guests are comfortable and well looked after . We really enjoyed The Middlethorpe Experience and look foreward to our next visit .

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms were quiet .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This place is absolutely stunning. Our party was greeted by Lionel himself and we felt we were being invited into somebody's home. The house is gorgeous and I only regret we did not have time to explore the grounds.
The champagne tea was served in the library and was quite magnificent; assorted sandwiches, cakes and chocolate nibbles were beautifully presented and designed by the chef to compliment our champagne.
I wish we had been staying the night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lois M
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was my third time here. But it had been 15 years or more since my last visit to England. I made sure to take a trip especially to stay at this wonderful hotel in Yorkshire. The grounds are beautiful - even in winter. The main house with its history is wonderful to explore and relax in. We stayed in one of the carriage house rooms which was large and very comfortable. We had diner in the restaurant and it was memorable meal. The food is very good. I like how you start in the drawing room with cocktails and some snacks and then move into the dining room- very civilized. Sam, the porter was very helpful with directions, getting us tea and coffee to our room when we arrived. The next morning we overslept and missed breakfast but it wasn't a problem to bring us tea and coffee with biscuits in the drawing room. I highly recommend staying here. The service is wonderful and you really feel pampered. The prices are very reasonable for what you get (certainly compared to London!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greengardener
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my birthday - it was a weekend away with my boyfriend. The hotel has an amazing first impression, it is a beautiful building which has been superbly converted to a hotel, with our bedroom separate to the main house. Everything was very in keeping with the traditional theme and was exceptionally clean. The staff could not do enough for us and were polite, courteous and helpful at all times. We ate that evening in the hotel restaurant which was lovely. We were shown to the drawing room to peruse the menu and have an aperitif including some nibbles that were provided by the hotel. Our meal was of a very high quality and this was again matched with excellent service. I would not hesitate to visit this hotel again or to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple