1,458 results
All reviews the main house drawing room national trust downton abbey early morning tea country house stately home public rooms on arrival steam room relaxing break yorkshire breakfast road noise wonderful hotel york racecourse birthday treat beautiful building
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My friend treated me to a special birthday lunch here. From the moment we walked through the door it was fab. We had drinks in the lounge, then went through to the dining room overlooking the gardens. The food was really fantastic. The flavours, presentation and service were really good. I will most certainly be returning.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I had read 'A Brief History' and 'A What's On At Middlethorpe' when my daughter and her family had invited us to join them there for three days after Xmas 2013. We were delighted at the invitation and expected an experience to match many we had had with them all over the years.
Of course nearby the City of York is surely outstanding but beware. . trouble is brewing for motorists entering the City Walls. . .CAMERAS! . . . with Fines! !
Our room at the Hotel was average and the toilet/bathroom designed for a very slim occupant!
The first thing that took us by surprise was a small notice on our room tray holding a water bottle saying we could have a cup of tea if we contacted reception two hundred yards up the Estate! ! Come on, even Premier Inns give you tea and biscuits in your room! We love reading in our room at times but we found the lighting in our room very, very poor.
At dinner in the Evening we were presented with an elaborate set of 'Hardback' Menus full of meals that we had never heard of before in our lives. (But we are old eighty year old fogies). Nevertheless we ordered and tried them but found them unrecognisable when they arrived at our table! Who made the prices up! ! It would be a good idea to vary the Menus presented. I had run out of options by the second day!
The Main Building we found full of Staff willing to give SERVICE but need lots of help using and understanding ENGLISH !
I used the excellent Spa facility BUT IT WAS EMPTY ? ! Maybe because the Swimming Pool is unsupervised?
Would we go back to this Hotel again? NO ! NOT FOR US. But it was a pleasure to be with our family for a few days.

Room Tip: If you like using a nice bathroom keep off room 20 !
4  Thank Ernest C
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have once again visited this beautiful hotel and relaxed from the moment we walked through the door .

The staff are a delight and cannot do enough to make your time at Middlethorpe memorable.

Each evening you are assured that the meal will have been prepared with great care and the professinal service makes it even more special. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect of the service you receive.

We have visited in each season and look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Dont expect a modern characterless room, each area of this lovely building is filled with charm and a sense of history
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My Sister and I had afternoon tea just before Christmas at Middlethorpe. This was a fabulous experience and as for the staff, in particular Michael, nothing was too much trouble. We had difficulty finding the hotel and Michael stayed on the telephone to direct us and then assisted us (I'm a wheelchair user) into the hotel. When we were leaving Michael assisted us again and even held an umbrella over us to ensure we didn't get wet.

The staff are absolutely first class and we had such a lovely afternoon - I cannot praise my treat enough. We really did feel like we had been somewhere very special and the food was excellent. Michael mentioned that afternoon tea can be taken in the garden in summer and we intend to return next summer and I am already looking forward to it.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Booked a one night stay for my mum and me to celebrate her 70th birthday. It was fantastic on check in we were told we had been upgraded to a suite in the courtyard. Spa lovely, food and service fantastic cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard which was really nice.
1  Thank SCHNAUZERSX2