“Convenient touring location and excellent dining” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
Woking, United Kingdom
“Convenient touring location and excellent dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed in a very comfortable four poster bedroom for 3 nights and appreciated the staff and manager's attitude of trying to help if small things needed to be done or corrected. The manager clearly cares about the visitor experience. The rooms are a reasonable size and furnished with lovely antiques, as are all three hotels in this group. The A64 traffic hum which other guests criticised (and which nearly put us off booking when we read some of the reviews) is barely audible and did nothing to disturb our sleep or enjoyment of the hotel. The grounds are worth exploring and the small pool and gym nice additional facilities. If you are using the hotel as a base it is next to the York race course and close to York itself - as well as being in striking distance of Castle Howard and many other NT properties and wonderful countryside.
The National Trust should do far more to fund the maintenance of the 3 hotels in the group to help ensure they can protect the furnishings and reputation for service and excellence they built up before being handed over to the NT. It must be a struggle to maintain and refresh such exceptional buildings without completely pricing them out of the reach of most of us.
The food in the restaurant was excellent - a good range of tasty dishes which were beautifully presented by courteous staff.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Stamford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

As a surprise, my partner booked a nights stay for us at Middleton Hall. What a brilliant surprise it was. From start to finish, the staff were welcoming and helpful. The building and setting is beautiful, situated next to the race track, it's beautiful gardens are joy to wake up to. The food was amazing, will defiantly come again.

• Stayed March 2014
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had such a great weekend at Middlethorpe Hall. Didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Not far from York, beautiful building, helpful staff, brilliant spa, so relaxing. such pleasant memories of walking in the garden and morning runs in the surrounding area. The room in the courtyard was really nice, could hear the people walking around above, but didn't really mind. Loved it. Very friendly doorman too. And breakfast was top notch.

Room Tip: All the buildings are beautiful. Sleep was disturbed by couple above us in the courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I cannot fault our recent stay at Middlethorpe Hall; we stayed on a Sunday night and thoroughly enjoyed how relaxing the hotel is. Our room was in the courtyard and was beautifully decorated, extremely comfortable and had a beautiful view of the gardens.
The staff are fantastic. They are warm, friendly, extremely professional without being fussy or snobbish.
The spa is spotless and very relaxing.
All and all, I cannot wait to return.

1 Thank CathyMcFadden
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Lovely one night stay in a gorgeous house - every detail was really beautiful, with all mod cons (lovely bathroom, great shower, all normal hotel goodies) in a really traditional and beautiful setting. Staff very friendly and helpful, and breakfast was absolutely amazing. Sadly as it was a surprise trip I didn't have my swimming stuff with me, oh well, maybe next time I finish a PhD....! Thanks Middlethorpe Hall for a lovely night.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I arranged to meet some friends who were staying at the hotel. Upon arriving, I went to reception and asked if they would let my friends know I was there. They said yes they would and would I like something to drink whilst I was waiting? I thought that this showed a marked improvement on some of the reviews I'd previously read about the standard of service at this establishment.

I sat down and my tea was served shortly afterward. I drank it, whilst I waited for my friends. After twenty minutes there was still no sign of them, so I went back to reception to ask what was happening. Unfortunately nobody was there and despite waiting five minutes nobody materialised. I was on my way back to my seat, when my friends appeared in the lobby not, it transpired, because they'dbeen advised of my arrival, but because they were getting concerned that I hadn't arrived, for what was an important meeting. I was obviously annoyed by this but the best was yet to come.

As we were leaving the hotel, the reception sprang into action in order to tell me I hadn't paid my bill. I pointed out that I hadn't actually stayed there, but she told me she meant the bill for the tea, which I'd assumed was a gratis service. The bill for a cup of tea which was 'sold', I feel, most deviously was extortionate, as has been highlighted in another review.

For a hotel to pay more attention to flogging sundries to visitors, than they do to passing on important communications to their guests, is very poor form. I have noted that the management of this establishment, don't seem to take even factual criticism gracefully, so I'm expecting they will offer some excuse/justification for my treatment.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank 3hreewiseninjas
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Service was good at breakfast and dinner, the food was good (although I warn you the choice of biscuits for cheese and biscuits is distinctly salty), the room was good if very traditional. The Spa was a bit of a tight fit for the level of throughput but the therapist's excellent.
Based on the outskirts of York the access by car from the A64 is easy.

Room Tip: The windows rattled in our room, if your a light sleeper take ear plugs
1 Thank Stephen H