Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
1,407 results
All reviewsthe main housedrawing roomnational trustdownton abbeyearly morning teacottage suitecountry housestately homestable blockpublic roomshomemade biscuitson arrivalyork suitesteam roomyorkshire breakfastrelaxing breakroad noise
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited for afternoon tea on our honeymoon as we thought Betty's was a bit of an overpriced tourist trap. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and it definitely has the wow factor when you drive up to it and walk through.

The receptionist was very friendly on arrival and we were directed to the lounge area. I thought we would be sitting on a table in the dining area as afternoon tea is usually served but we were served on a small lap height table whilst sitting on chairs in the lounge area. It felt a bit awkward as there wasn't anywhere to rest our plates and the afternoon tea tray was quite far away from us which meant we had to keep standing up and reaching over.

Despite this, the view from the lounge was amazing and the service was almost faultless but I did find this a little strange. This might just be my personal view as my partner really enjoyed it and found it really relaxing. (The lounge area was extremely relaxing may I add!)

We may have been placed in the lounge because there wasn't anybody having afternoon tea at this time so it may have been strange having the dining room to ourselves. I'm not quite sure.

The reason I gave 'value' an average score was because we received 25% discount online due to the time of booking. I felt this price was worth it and wouldn't have been prepared to pay anymore. I have had afternoon tea at the pump rooms in Bath where I live which was very similar in price.

I would definitely come back and stay at the hotel again but I may try afternoon tea elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank LaurenNesbitt
Reviewed 1 May 2014

On recent trip back to the UK from Australia visiting family and friends . We decided to have a city break in York as we have visited previously in the past. Liked the location of Middlethorpe Hall and Spa very close to the village of Bridgesthorpe . To get into York it's is an easy 30 minute walk or bus takes you straight in which stops right outside the hotel .
We had a wonderful 3 night stay and it was hard to say goodbye.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had 16 Guests for a Birthday Celebration Lunch in a private room and utilised the 3 for 2 offer. Hotel setting and grounds were wonderful. Food quality and presentation was excellent and the service was friendly and efficient but not intrusive. The library was allocated to us for our arrival and pre-lunch drinks. We were certainly impressed by the experience and would recommend it for any function.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stunning property in s stunning setting, friendly welcoming staff.
Dinner in the hotel restaurant was one of the best we have had in a long time, made even better by the exemplary service we received.
Nice spa area too.
People should be aware that some of the rooms are accessed across a courtyard (open air) but umbrellas are provided in case of inclement weather.
The decoration/fixtures and fittings are showing their age but the place is spotless.

Room Tip: Facing the Garden is quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Booked a 3 for 2 lunch meal for mum and sisters, one of the party was late due to a blow out on the motorway, this was no problem for the friendly staff, who never rushed us at all when we eventually sat down over an hour late - meal and service was excellent, in lovely surroundings, would highly recommend! It was nice to go back after 40 years, I remember the hotel as a nightclub called Brummells in the 70's! Thank you for making us feel so welcome, we will certainly book again.

Susan Dalby