“Lovely return visit”

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely return visit”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at Middlethorpe with my Mum and 2 sisters. We stayed in the cottage suite which is separate from the main house, about a 100 yard walk down a lane. It was lovely having the cottage as it comes with a garden and is very private. It was not very peaceful on Sunday as the YO1 music festival was taking place at the race course and the music played from 11am until 11pm. I would check prior to returning what events are planned nearby.
Afternoon tea was served at the cottage which was excellent; the spa was very relaxing and did not get busy at all. I had a back massage which was very good. The gardens are well worth exploring with many and varied plants, trees and flowers.
We ate at middlethorpe both evenings; the food and service were faultless on both occasions.
The only slight problem was the bill had a number of errors on it, having had such an enjoyable stay it was a little frustrating having to sort this out prior to departure.
That said I would not hesitate to return to this peaceful and elegant hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tabitha1965

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Llandudno
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a two night break and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were all very friendly and attentive, without being intrusive. We were extremely fortunate to be upgraded to a suite, which added to our enjoyment. We dined at the hotel both evenings and the food served was excellent. The hotel was as expected with nice grounds to enjoy. Highly recommended and we look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CymroLlandudno
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Wonderful welcoming before even out of taxi. The door was opened for us and we were offered assistance with our luggage.

Check in was easy. Twin courtyard room. Porter brought luggage to room (and there was a lot of it)

Spacious room, probably the biggest room we had all over the UK. Fresh air with opening windows.

Went to facial appointment at Spa which is literally a 3 second walk. Treated myself to the discovery facial – most amazing and wonderful facial with friendly therapists. Good idea to book early as they fill up quickly. Booked my self into a pedicure the next day as they had one spot left, that was nice too.

Dinner in restaurant one night. Drinks severed in separate room. Escorted to next room and sat down. Very fancy for 2 normal Aussies, but felt really nice!!

Selection of bread roles to choose from. Menu rather small and didn’t really cater for dietary requirements but thankfully they did have a risotto I could eat. They also had gluten free bread.

Turn down service – first night happened when we weren't there and second night they knocked on the door and asked if we required it. Nice touch.

Gardens beautiful to walk in, there is a stunning lake as well. So peaceful.

Room service was fast and efficient, would highly recommend the homemade sorbet for dessert!

Check out was easy and simple, they also organized a taxi for us to take back into the railway station.

I will be back! Traveled with my mother.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We just spent two lovely nights at Middlethorp Hall. The staff was perfect. Everyone as nice and accommodating as could be. The food was spectacular as well as the wine list. Andrew was so helpful in helping us with interesting and unusual wines. We enjoyed walking through the beautiful gardens and grounds. Our room was large and very comfortable. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bath
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited for afternoon tea on our honeymoon as we thought Betty's was a bit of an overpriced tourist trap. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and it definitely has the wow factor when you drive up to it and walk through.

The receptionist was very friendly on arrival and we were directed to the lounge area. I thought we would be sitting on a table in the dining area as afternoon tea is usually served but we were served on a small lap height table whilst sitting on chairs in the lounge area. It felt a bit awkward as there wasn't anywhere to rest our plates and the afternoon tea tray was quite far away from us which meant we had to keep standing up and reaching over.

Despite this, the view from the lounge was amazing and the service was almost faultless but I did find this a little strange. This might just be my personal view as my partner really enjoyed it and found it really relaxing. (The lounge area was extremely relaxing may I add!)

We may have been placed in the lounge because there wasn't anybody having afternoon tea at this time so it may have been strange having the dining room to ourselves. I'm not quite sure.

The reason I gave 'value' an average score was because we received 25% discount online due to the time of booking. I felt this price was worth it and wouldn't have been prepared to pay anymore. I have had afternoon tea at the pump rooms in Bath where I live which was very similar in price.

I would definitely come back and stay at the hotel again but I may try afternoon tea elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LaurenNesbitt
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

On recent trip back to the UK from Australia visiting family and friends . We decided to have a city break in York as we have visited previously in the past. Liked the location of Middlethorpe Hall and Spa very close to the village of Bridgesthorpe . To get into York it's is an easy 30 minute walk or bus takes you straight in which stops right outside the hotel .
We had a wonderful 3 night stay and it was hard to say goodbye.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth G
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had 16 Guests for a Birthday Celebration Lunch in a private room and utilised the 3 for 2 offer. Hotel setting and grounds were wonderful. Food quality and presentation was excellent and the service was friendly and efficient but not intrusive. The library was allocated to us for our arrival and pre-lunch drinks. We were certainly impressed by the experience and would recommend it for any function.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family