“Jill and I stay in a smart hotel...”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 13 October 2008

My friend Jill and I had been promising ourselves a lovely spa break for ages, so I decided to go ahead and book this in May of this year. A weekend stay was too much for us to justify, so we decided on a wed to fri break instead- it was still way more than I have ever spent on a hotel,- I am more a Travel Lodge kinda girl- but it was just about affordable.
On arriving at the hotel, a porter rushed down the steps and took my bag for me and I checked in with a minimum of fuss. My room was in the courtyard area- maybe they were stables originally? and it was beautiful- warm ,lovely view over the gardens, little casement windows, big fluffy house coat..heaven.
Breakfast was in the main hotel, and I only had the continental one. It was perfectly good- plenty tea, which is a big plus for me. we didn't use the restaurant -too pricey, though we did have room service for a meal. It was small but perfectly formed, if you get my drift- nine chips piled artistically and the world's smallest omelette. My fish goujons were better though. Jill was still so hungry at the end of her meal she went upstairs and ordered one from her room( so that the waiter wouldn't think she was a greedy pig)
In fact my only criticism of the hotel is that I couldn't work out what was complimentary and what we would be charged for- and that the prices for tea, etc are really steep. I sat and waited for Jill to finish her treatment in the library, and started to sneeze explosively- I looked round half expecting a porter to rush over and blow my nose and charge me a fiver for it...
That said I thought the whole experience fantastic. The lady who complained that she wasn't reminded of her treatment time should be ashamed of herself- the spa is TWO MINUTES walk away- why did she need reminded??
We had two treatments each, and Jill was very impressed that the beautician didn't look at her scaly feet and throw up. My hair looked like Edward Scissor Hands by the end of my facial, but boy was it worth it. The pool, steam room etc was excellent.
All told we would be back next year if we win the pools. Or inherit money. Or become wealthy widows... some chance.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank jennycreche

Reviewed 18 September 2008

We stayed at Middlethorpe for one night en route to Scotland and expected to find a good hotel but to our utter amazement we found ourselves in a dream world. It was like stepping back in time with old fashioned service. We where greeted on arrival with the luggage being taken from the car direct to our room whist we checked in. We then decided to indulge in the afternoon tea-sheer indulgence but worth the extra few pounds in weight. A gentle stroll through the immaculate grounds and time for a siesta before gin and tonics and a truly gourmet dinner. I have eaten in many very good restaurants but I can honestly say this was probably one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Finally off to bed for a wonderful nights sleep in the beds that had been turned down for us.

If you are looking for a special treat but do not want to pay a fortune for it I would recommend Middlthorpe Hall I do not think anyone could fail but to be impressed.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank stephenPLondon
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We booked Middlethorpe Hall to start off our honeymoon and I have to disagree with most (all?) of the reviewers and say that I thought that quite a few bum notes were struck.
We were in room 11 on the second floor of the main house which had lovely views of the grounds (tho' with the windows open the roar of traffic was very noticeable).
The room itself was fine, tho', as other reviewers have noted, poorly lit.
The bathroom was bad- fixed head shower at 5'5" which meant that we had to crouch under it. And the shower screen didn't move, so to run a bath you had to stand in the bath and unplugging it when it ran over (overflow didn't work) involved tricky coathanger manoeuvres.Also no strong shelf for a wetbag.
There were no kettle facilities in room, so a hot drink is over £4, this felt mean and grudging as did the supplement for cooked breakfast. Why not just charge a little more and throw it in for free?
We arrived late and tired and whilst the porter opened the door they were happy to watch me struggle up the 5 stairs with my suitcase, no offers of help. Reception constantly answered 'phones and chatted whilst checking us in, which felt rude and thoughtless. Little co-ordination with the spa (I had asked to be reminded of a treatment when I checked in and this did not happen, also they said that they had booked my husband in for a treatment and they hadn't which was just inefficient. Housekeeping had some local knowledge (directions for where to run) which was good, but she had a very strong stink of cigarettes on breath which was a bit much at 7.30am.
Similarly breakfast was marred by harried and slightly thoughtless service - we were told to sit anywhere (implied not to bother waitress) and then frogmarched off the empty table that we had chosen. Just irritating- tho' they did find soya milk upon short-notice request which was good- but spoilt that by forgetting toast.
The large guests' drawing room (overlooking the beautiful gardens but with windows closed to block road noise) was possibly the hotel's greatest asset and was a lovely place to while away some time. Good running facilities around the horse racing track opposite and the spa facilities were housed in a very cute cottage down the lane (tho' I thought treatments were very "by the book" and not undertaken with much thought and no tailoring to special requests at all.

In conclusion I thought that it would not take very much to make this a special hotel, but that at the moment the thoughtless design and slightly sloppy service means that I would not recommend it at this price point.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank caramelgirl
Reviewed 10 September 2008

Unfortunately, I only spent one night at the hotel and ate neither dinner nor breakfast so this is a partial review. The hotel is quite beatiful, as are the grounds. The staff are attentive, friendly and helpful and are great ambassadors for the hotel (particularly the porter who has warranted a mention in another review). I had a room in the converted stable block. Given the cost, the room was outstanding value for money, wonderfully comfortable and immaculately presented.

The lounge in the main house is elegant and a wonderful place to unwind. A malt whisky and an orange juice cost £9 - so a degree of abstemiousness is recommended. However, in the hotel's defence, the drinks were accompanied by the best selection of salted nuts I have encountered in an hotel bar.

When in the hotel's grounds, the noise from the A64 is intrusive;
once inside the hotel, one is unaware of its proximity to such a major road.

It is not best placed for visiting the sights of York if that is the prime purpose of your visit.

I would have no hesitation in staying there again and in recommending Middlethorpe to you.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Cimbalon
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Spent 2 nights with my wife at Middlethorpe mid-week as a short break to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary . Booked a superior room in the courtyard . Were greeted on arrival by the hotel porter who as well as taking our luggage to our room gave us a brief guided tour of the hotel. The staff were indeed very polite and attentive as stated previously on other reviews.. Indeed we were met on entering our room with a personal note from the manager wishing us well on our anniversary and providing complimentary fresh fruit and chocolates. A nice touch that !! The room was a reasonable size with modern bathroom but generally poor lighting throughout!! However everything else was of a high standard e.g housekeeping ; clean towels twice a day. Didnt stay for dinner as ate out in York each night but continental breakfast was OK ( english breakfast was available at a supplement) The grounds were lovely including walled garden . Only relative complaint was about the spa and gym which were disappointingly small although all facilities were available . It proved difficult to book spa appontments even in advance of the stay which was one of the main reasons why we chose this hotel in the fiirst place.

All in all a good experience in a hotel worthy of recommendation

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sivy
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We are so pleased to have found this hotel thanks to Tripadvisor. We had the most romantic weekend here - and got a very good rate by contacting the hotel the day before we wished to stay.
The hotel fully deserves its high ratings - we found the service to be impeccable. We were upgraded to room 33 - it sounds like the one described below in a cottage in the grounds, with two bedrooms, a lounge and a kitchenette with a pint of milk in the fridge! Just perfect.
One word of warning - the restaurant is eye-wateringly expensive - but the high standards of food and service in such a wonderful location made it easier to justify as a treat. Let's just say it cost more than the room.....

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian D
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I spent the most wonderfully relaxing three nights in sumptuous Middlethorpe Hall. I cannot think of a single flaw, well a dash too much vinegar used in poaching my egg on the last day, but that is the level of nit-picking required to find fault ! It is perfectly located a scenic cab journey from town, yet it makes you feel far out in the country. The building and grounds are astonishingly beautiful and our vast luxurious room made us feel lords of the manor as we gazed out at the miles of greenery. As i say our room was vast and complete with everything we could have desired, the crowning glory being the bed. My wife and I still lie awake at night dreaming about the bed, we have never slept better. This had set the bar high and I was apprehensive about the food. I neednt have been, it was generous, fresh and delicious, both breakfast and dinner. The staff were friendly and unobtrusive and it has a spa, where we had the pleasure of seeing the Archbishop of York in his trunks. It is simply superb.

Stayed: January 2008