“Birthday treat weekend away with the girls”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
Manchester, Stockport
“Birthday treat weekend away with the girls”
Reviewed 21 November 2008

We chose this hotel for our birthday treat away this year because of the reviews on TA, it had its own spa plus didn't look overly expensive in comparison to other spa hotels.
When arrived and parked up the porter was already waiting by the car to help with the bags which was wonderful, felt like the break had really started and set the tone for the weekend away. We checked in quickly and the porter gave us a tour around so we knew where to go for the bar and the resturant. He then took us to our rooms. I had a single in the courtyard and it was wonderful (i was even offered a upgrade to a double room but i had fallen for the cosiness/charm of the single so stayed put!).
We treated ourselves to dinner at the hotel on the first night and we had a fabulous time. The lounge bar was great with a roaring fire in place. Brilliant complimentery mixed nuts, olive selection and appetizers were served with our pre dinner drinks. Really good wine list was offered with a good selection of half bottles if you don't like rose as much as the others! The meal and the service was superb, but the cost meant it was a huge treat for us!
I slept very well in my lovely room both nights. The breakfasts were great (try the fruit salad it was the best i'd ever had). The gradens were lovely to walk around with lots of blackbirds and robins taking advantage of the fallen apples. Plently of sitting areas too for stopping and staring.
We went to the spa on the sunday (sat was spent shopping at the nearby designer outlet (5min drive and very good too), dinner/cocktails at the living room later on which i recommend too, especially the duck/pancakes!) We had a nice time at the spa we all had a treatment which was good. Was abit disappointed because the clock in the pool area was slow so ended up being 10 mins late for my treatment, which they knocked off the treatment time! So felt abit ripped off. The pool is nice and quiet but felt this area and the changing rooms were abit small and didn't have the wow luxurious factor so hence rating is 4/5 not 5/5.
Definately would go again!

• Liked — staff, room, nut & olive selection, breakfast fruit salad, gardens
  • Disliked — spa changing room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank L0cke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2008

We booked the Middlethorpe on the strength of Tripadvisor reviews, and I have to say we weren't disappointed during our three-night stay.
We loved the original house and its ambience, but undoubtedly
the hotel's greatest asset has to be the staff, who were friendly and attentive, but not in the slightly obsequious way that one sometimes finds. My wife works in a service industry, and declared that the Middlethorpe offerred "The kind of service we all deserve, but hardly ever get."
Our room was a courtyard "superior" room, with views over the lovely gardens. I thought the room adequate in all respects, if a little "chintzy" for my taste. The bathroom was a little on the small side, and I didn't like the rather dribbly shower, but other than that there was nothing to complain about. We appreciated the slippers and bathrobes, morning newspapers under the door, etc.
Some reviews complained about traffic noise from the nearby Ring road, but we heard nothing to disturb us, day or night.

The food is excellent, both in terms of the quality, presentation and the service we received in the panelled dining room. It has to be said, though, that eating at the hotel every night would probably more than double your costs, I'd say reckon on £130 for dinner for two with wine,
The location was just fine for what we wanted, but if you want to be in the centre of York, be warned. it is too far to walk (especially in the frosty dying days of October) for all but the dedicated; the taxis aren't cheap, and the bus service hardly fast. However, if you use the hotel as a base for exploring by car (with just the occasional foray into York; the easy parking and the proximity to major roads are an advantage.

• Liked — The public rooms in the old house
  • Disliked — The small bathroom/lack of power shower
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RayattheBay
Sussex, England
Reviewed 29 October 2008

Our third stay, but only for one night this time. As always, charming reception, bags taken to room with lots of helpful information. Hotel still in excellent decorative order, with fires in public rooms and lots of comfy sitting space. Our bedroom this time at front of the hotel(quieter) on top floor; beautifully furnished, spacious & all mod cons.

Dinner very good, particularly the meat & puds. Service unobtrusive & efficient (though forgot coffee order). Wine list well chosen & some bin-end bargains.

Breakfast equally good & very cheerily served! Gardens still looking great for a stroll. Spa is OK but pool is quite small when busy. At least not overheated.

The hotel had a DB&B offer for selected nights which we took advantage of. This was really outstanding value. We shall keep returning.

• Liked — Fine Furniture & Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Walk to spa
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LANCS
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My partner and I picked this hotel for what we hoped would be a memorable experience and from arriving to leaving thats what it was. We were upgraded to the Lady Mary suite upon arrival and immediately realised that this one night stay would be desperately too short. The dining at night made us feel like royalty with the standard of food and first class service and for the first time in years I felt proud to be English in the finest of English settings. Everything about Middlethorpe ouzes class and I for one would recommend it to anyone ,its not going to be the cheapest place to stay but what price do you put on memories that will last forever.
Thankyou Middlethorpe for making my partner and I a very happy couple

Stayed October 2008
scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2008

My friend Jill and I had been promising ourselves a lovely spa break for ages, so I decided to go ahead and book this in May of this year. A weekend stay was too much for us to justify, so we decided on a wed to fri break instead- it was still way more than I have ever spent on a hotel,- I am more a Travel Lodge kinda girl- but it was just about affordable.
On arriving at the hotel, a porter rushed down the steps and took my bag for me and I checked in with a minimum of fuss. My room was in the courtyard area- maybe they were stables originally? and it was beautiful- warm ,lovely view over the gardens, little casement windows, big fluffy house coat..heaven.
Breakfast was in the main hotel, and I only had the continental one. It was perfectly good- plenty tea, which is a big plus for me. we didn't use the restaurant -too pricey, though we did have room service for a meal. It was small but perfectly formed, if you get my drift- nine chips piled artistically and the world's smallest omelette. My fish goujons were better though. Jill was still so hungry at the end of her meal she went upstairs and ordered one from her room( so that the waiter wouldn't think she was a greedy pig)
In fact my only criticism of the hotel is that I couldn't work out what was complimentary and what we would be charged for- and that the prices for tea, etc are really steep. I sat and waited for Jill to finish her treatment in the library, and started to sneeze explosively- I looked round half expecting a porter to rush over and blow my nose and charge me a fiver for it...
That said I thought the whole experience fantastic. The lady who complained that she wasn't reminded of her treatment time should be ashamed of herself- the spa is TWO MINUTES walk away- why did she need reminded??
We had two treatments each, and Jill was very impressed that the beautician didn't look at her scaly feet and throw up. My hair looked like Edward Scissor Hands by the end of my facial, but boy was it worth it. The pool, steam room etc was excellent.
All told we would be back next year if we win the pools. Or inherit money. Or become wealthy widows... some chance.

• Liked — Fantastic room and lovely views
  • Disliked — no kettle in room....
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank jennycreche
London
Reviewed 18 September 2008

We stayed at Middlethorpe for one night en route to Scotland and expected to find a good hotel but to our utter amazement we found ourselves in a dream world. It was like stepping back in time with old fashioned service. We where greeted on arrival with the luggage being taken from the car direct to our room whist we checked in. We then decided to indulge in the afternoon tea-sheer indulgence but worth the extra few pounds in weight. A gentle stroll through the immaculate grounds and time for a siesta before gin and tonics and a truly gourmet dinner. I have eaten in many very good restaurants but I can honestly say this was probably one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Finally off to bed for a wonderful nights sleep in the beds that had been turned down for us.

If you are looking for a special treat but do not want to pay a fortune for it I would recommend Middlthorpe Hall I do not think anyone could fail but to be impressed.

• Liked — Attention to deatail
  • Disliked — All perfect
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank stephenPLondon
London, UK
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We booked Middlethorpe Hall to start off our honeymoon and I have to disagree with most (all?) of the reviewers and say that I thought that quite a few bum notes were struck.
We were in room 11 on the second floor of the main house which had lovely views of the grounds (tho' with the windows open the roar of traffic was very noticeable).
The room itself was fine, tho', as other reviewers have noted, poorly lit.
The bathroom was bad- fixed head shower at 5'5" which meant that we had to crouch under it. And the shower screen didn't move, so to run a bath you had to stand in the bath and unplugging it when it ran over (overflow didn't work) involved tricky coathanger manoeuvres.Also no strong shelf for a wetbag.
There were no kettle facilities in room, so a hot drink is over £4, this felt mean and grudging as did the supplement for cooked breakfast. Why not just charge a little more and throw it in for free?
We arrived late and tired and whilst the porter opened the door they were happy to watch me struggle up the 5 stairs with my suitcase, no offers of help. Reception constantly answered 'phones and chatted whilst checking us in, which felt rude and thoughtless. Little co-ordination with the spa (I had asked to be reminded of a treatment when I checked in and this did not happen, also they said that they had booked my husband in for a treatment and they hadn't which was just inefficient. Housekeeping had some local knowledge (directions for where to run) which was good, but she had a very strong stink of cigarettes on breath which was a bit much at 7.30am.
Similarly breakfast was marred by harried and slightly thoughtless service - we were told to sit anywhere (implied not to bother waitress) and then frogmarched off the empty table that we had chosen. Just irritating- tho' they did find soya milk upon short-notice request which was good- but spoilt that by forgetting toast.
The large guests' drawing room (overlooking the beautiful gardens but with windows closed to block road noise) was possibly the hotel's greatest asset and was a lovely place to while away some time. Good running facilities around the horse racing track opposite and the spa facilities were housed in a very cute cottage down the lane (tho' I thought treatments were very "by the book" and not undertaken with much thought and no tailoring to special requests at all.

In conclusion I thought that it would not take very much to make this a special hotel, but that at the moment the thoughtless design and slightly sloppy service means that I would not recommend it at this price point.

• Liked — building and grounds
  • Disliked — travel noise, sloppy service, poor design (and no kettle in room!)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple