“Delightful”

Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is the second time in 15 years that we have stayed here. We came again because we enjoyed it so much last time. The hotel is a beautiful old building with gorgeous gardens surrounding it. It is close to York (although best to drive there rather than walk). The rooms are all gorgeously furnished and very comfortable. The food is excellent and the service from all staff warm and helpful. It is excellent value for money I think.

Room Tip: We had room 12 which was beautifully furnished but I think that all rooms are. Bathroom was a reaso...
1 Thank Josie084

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I have never visited but after the bad experience through phone and email I will not be going.

I have recently got engaged and have started looking for wedding venues. My bridesmaid sent me the link for Middlethorpe! Wow, I was impressed. They offered intimate weddings and the images on the website looked beautiful.

I completed the link to check availability for the day I wanted and immediately the site said they were available, so I complete the form to be contacted.
I got a email instantly saying they had received my email and I would be contacted within 48 hours. I was impressed and looked forward to speaking with someone. Unfortunately, there was no contact after 3 days so I decided to phone.

When I phoned the receptionist said she would put me through. The phone rang constantly with no one answering, which was fine as I knew that hotels are busy and I can not expected my call answered straight away. However, after trying 4 times and reception putting me through each time to a phone that is never answered I was disappointed and Middlethorpe have been scored off my list of possible wedding venues.

If you offer a service you need to make sure it is available. Highly disappointed with the lack of service and will be taking my business else where.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Younglady85
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
We would like to congratulate this reviewer on her engagement and thank the Bridesmaid for recommending us.

Although the team here does their utmost to answer calls promptly, we are sorry that we were unable to do so on that particular telephone extension, during the very busy Ebor Race Meeting and Bank Holiday Weekend. We wish that the bride-to-be had left a message with her contact details, so that our Wedding Co-ordinator could have returned the call as soon as she was available.

May I ask this reviewer to make contact with me personally, so that I can apologise and demonstrate that Middlethorpe Hall is not only an impressive wedding venue but - as many others have commented on these pages – also offers excellent service.

Lionel A Chatard
Lichfield
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We chose this hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed.

On arrival we were greeted by the friendly staff who made you feel right at home and given an up-grade which always helps. Being a national trust property gives you a good idea of the decor etc and you certainly feel like The Lord of the manor.

We used the spa and this was lovely. I got myself out of bed for opening and this made me feel virtuous before my hearty cooked breakfast. The opening hours are 8 until 7 which only gives you a short opportunity to enjoy this facility if you are out and about all day.

1 Thank LichfieldDave
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had never stayed at the hotel before, we have had Sunday lunch several times. We stayed in the Courtyard, Superior room, quite small, no tea/coffee making facility in room. Very clean and comfortable.

1 Thank Tony R
Lincs
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Meals were pricey so we cancelled our dinner reservations and tried a pub in the next village. Breakfast was disappointing as it was not freshly cooked and was Luke warm. There weren't tea and coffee making facilities in the room. However on the 2nd day we discovered that you could ask for they and they were provided free of charge. I couldn't understand why they weren't in the room to start with. Overall a nice place to stay for a special occasion.

Room Tip: We had an upgraded room in the main house
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was our second trip to Middlethorpe, courtesy of another gift voucher. We booked a second night in addition to the 'Naughty but nice' package covered by the voucher. We were not disappointed.

It was lovely on arrival to be upgraded to a room in the main house, having booked a courtyard room. The room was airy and very comfortable, with a real Downton Abbey feel. Other reviewers have raised the issue of noise from the road. One of our windows faced the road and the noise was minimal (I say this as someone who is very sensitive to annoyance!). The cleaning of the room on the second day was meticulous, with everything neatly arranged and tidied away.

We had afternoon tea on the first day and dinner on the second. Both were delicious. Only one scone each is supplied as part of the afternoon tea, but we asked for two more and they duly arrived. Dinner was excellent - gorgeous slow cooked lamb and a magnficent selection of homemade ice creams and sorbets were among the highlights. The people at the next table had the cheese board and it was beautifully presented. The cooked breakfasts were very tasty.

The atmosphere at Middlethorpe is not stuffy or overly formal - people were quite casually dressed. There are some pubs in the village about a mile away if you fancy a change of scene and a pleasant walk (footpath all the way) during your stay.

There is room for small improvements in service - during the afternoon tea we were not checked on periodically and had to go out of our way to ask for more milk. Similarly, our appetisers were forgotten before dinner but came when we mentioned it. Cutlery was missing at breakfast both mornings. The staff are very helpful when you ask them to do anything but could be more proactive in terms of checking if guests have everything they need. One exception is a young French man (whose name we did not get, unfortunately) who is clearly going places in the hospitality industry and was very attentive to us.

Overall, Middlethorpe is just the place to relax if you like elegant surroundings and very good food.

Room Tip: We have stayed in both the courtyard and the main house. Both are lovely. If you are hyper sensitive...
2 Thank ArtDeco85
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We spent two nights at Middlethorpe Hall and had a truly wonderful stay. Everything was just right - our room in the main house was excellent, with views over the garden and lovely country house style furnishings. The bathroom was old-fashioned, as you'd expect in an old house like this, but had everything we needed. The public rooms were fabulous - like living in Downton Abbey! - and it was such a pleasure to eat in the pleasant dining room and have coffee served in the comfortable drawing room. The gardens were absolutely splendid and it was lovely having a drink on the terrace in the early evening. The staff were excellent - friendly and extremely helpful without being intrusive. We used the Spa, which was well kept and not at all busy - we had the pool to ourselves for much of the time. If you're looking for a modern air conditioned hotel this is not for you, but we loved it and having visited many National Trust properties it was a real privilege to actually stay in one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple