“only 1 night can't wait to go back!”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“only 1 night can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 4 September 2014

Stayed here for just the one night but it was fabulous. The service was examplary. Lovely little Spa, with a great jacuzzi... a little pricy but worth it for the luxury!! looking forward to going back again....

• Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank robk1701

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Nice hotel, beautiful setting on the outskirts of York, but......... sadly we felt the hotel was lacking in attention to detail.
Ordered tea on our first evening, it arrived without milk, rang to get milk, nothing arrived, eventually tea arrived 40 minutes later.
Had to ask for bathroom toiletries as they weren't replaced and they never arrived.
Both mornings the cooked breakfast was extremely disappointing, bacon was hard and the black pudding burnt, so pleased we had decided to eat out in York both nights rather than the restaurant.
The bathroom was extremely small and dangerous trying to turn the taps on as the shower screen did not move. The bedroom was decorated with tat and had disturbing pictures on the wall.
Despite this couldn't fault the night porters or the spa staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard small, bathrooms very small and dangerous turning taps on in the bath.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank racheybaby19
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
We are sorry that these guests did not fully enjoy their recent two night stay. Attention to the detail of our guests’ experience is indeed paramount to us, and the comments made have been constructively discussed with the team to avoid reoccurrence. We also hope that these guests enjoyed other aspects of their visit.

The size of some of our bathrooms is restricted because of the listed status and layout of this National Trust 1699 property; however, they are all progressively being upgraded with new amenities, better lighting and new flooring. Folding shower-screens are also being trialled to further improve access to the bath.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Beautiful building and wonderful grounds. Overall a lovely time but several things which could be improved on. The bath, which previous clients had complained about too, had a sealed shower screen which meant you could only turn on the taps or shower by getting in the bath; the menu was unduly complicated - 5 different menus which could only be eaten in different places; We ordered drinks before lunch and realised all other tables had nibbles. Whilst these were provided on request we were left feeling the 'poor relations'. The breakfast menu was misleading too. And the bill was incorrect. It is a lovely hotel and we would return, but things do need tidying up a bit. And I was particularly concerned to hear there had been numerous complaints about the bathroom, yet nothing had Bern done.

Room Tip: Check which bathroom you are getting!!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is the second time in 15 years that we have stayed here. We came again because we enjoyed it so much last time. The hotel is a beautiful old building with gorgeous gardens surrounding it. It is close to York (although best to drive there rather than walk). The rooms are all gorgeously furnished and very comfortable. The food is excellent and the service from all staff warm and helpful. It is excellent value for money I think.

Room Tip: We had room 12 which was beautifully furnished but I think that all rooms are. Bathroom was a reaso...
1 Thank Josie084
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I have never visited but after the bad experience through phone and email I will not be going.

I have recently got engaged and have started looking for wedding venues. My bridesmaid sent me the link for Middlethorpe! Wow, I was impressed. They offered intimate weddings and the images on the website looked beautiful.

I completed the link to check availability for the day I wanted and immediately the site said they were available, so I complete the form to be contacted.
I got a email instantly saying they had received my email and I would be contacted within 48 hours. I was impressed and looked forward to speaking with someone. Unfortunately, there was no contact after 3 days so I decided to phone.

When I phoned the receptionist said she would put me through. The phone rang constantly with no one answering, which was fine as I knew that hotels are busy and I can not expected my call answered straight away. However, after trying 4 times and reception putting me through each time to a phone that is never answered I was disappointed and Middlethorpe have been scored off my list of possible wedding venues.

If you offer a service you need to make sure it is available. Highly disappointed with the lack of service and will be taking my business else where.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Younglady85
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
We would like to congratulate this reviewer on her engagement and thank the Bridesmaid for recommending us.

Although the team here does their utmost to answer calls promptly, we are sorry that we were unable to do so on that particular telephone extension, during the very busy Ebor Race Meeting and Bank Holiday Weekend. We wish that the bride-to-be had left a message with her contact details, so that our Wedding Co-ordinator could have returned the call as soon as she was available.

May I ask this reviewer to make contact with me personally, so that I can apologise and demonstrate that Middlethorpe Hall is not only an impressive wedding venue but - as many others have commented on these pages – also offers excellent service.

Lionel A Chatard
Lichfield
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We chose this hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed.

On arrival we were greeted by the friendly staff who made you feel right at home and given an up-grade which always helps. Being a national trust property gives you a good idea of the decor etc and you certainly feel like The Lord of the manor.

We used the spa and this was lovely. I got myself out of bed for opening and this made me feel virtuous before my hearty cooked breakfast. The opening hours are 8 until 7 which only gives you a short opportunity to enjoy this facility if you are out and about all day.

1 Thank LichfieldDave
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had never stayed at the hotel before, we have had Sunday lunch several times. We stayed in the Courtyard, Superior room, quite small, no tea/coffee making facility in room. Very clean and comfortable.

1 Thank Tony R