“Loved every moment” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in York
London, United Kingdom
“Loved every moment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was the second Christmas we've spent at Middlethorpe and it was great to find that their standards remain as high as ever. This time one of our party was elderly and frail and I was touched to see that the staff took care of her with all the tenderness old age requires. She was escorted not only up and down the stairs, but into whatever public room she selected. When she decided to stay in her room she was waited upon and minded with care and discretion.
As for the food, the word excellent hardly describes it. The restaurant staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. That slice of gammon I had from the Christmas night buffet was the best I've ever tasted.
And for the first time at Middlethorpe I ordered a margarita before dinner. The quality of a margarita is - for me - the ultimate test. I needn't have worried.
This will not be the last Christmas we spend in such convivial surroundings.
Thanks to everybody who made it so memorable.

Room Tip: get a room facing the park
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank brian f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Ronno, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed at Middlethorpe Hall for two nights on a trip to the North of England, and what a superb experience it was.
Wonderful welcome, clean room, great service in the spa and restaurant and fabulous food.
We could not have asked for better, and are planning another visit.

Room Tip: Even in Winter, the gardens are well worth visiting.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The loss of the excellent French Maître d from this hotel is showing now. Since our last visit six months ago I regret to say that this visit was far from excellent, as it has been in the past. The room was still very nice but finding a long black hair on the bath mat and stray bottle of lotion under the bed was disconcerting but the main issue was with the restaurant. I felt that my specific dietary needs were listened to but there was things on my plate I specifically asked not to be there. I also asked for some type of sauce with my fish but it came dry, but to be fair it was a busy service and we only gave 24hours notice of my dietary needs.. The table next to us had to keep swapping their dishes across the table as the waitress had mixed up their dishes, they too had specific dietary needs. In fact the waiting staff seemed to arrive in the dining room with trays of food and then consulted a sheet of paper with the orders on it, all the while the hot food was cooling. My fish was lukewarm on arrival at our table but nice hot potatoes made up for a hot meal. Surely the table destination can be announced at the 'pass' like most restaurants. So will we return? yes but I will have to more clear when ordering food from the new Maître d and giving maybe more notice to chef of my arrival. It would not take much to do some training with the restaurant staff to get this hotel up there at five stars again.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We would like to offer our apologies to this reviewer, for a recent visit that was not as excellent as her previous stay at Middlethorpe Hall six months ago. Her comments - already shared with the Duty Manager at the time of her departure – have been constructively received and discussed with the team. They will help us to further improve both consistency and standards where necessary.

I am pleased – and so is Maxence the French Head-Waiter who was off duty at the time of her visit - that this guest is considering returning. We will welcome this opportunity to demonstrate that her recent experience was unfortunate on an extremely busy day, and that our efforts remain to ensuring that all our guests are well looked after.
Bristol, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We recently attended the three-day Christmas Holiday weekend at Middlethorpe. It was the best Christmas gift we could have given ourselves. The house and grounds are lovely. The staff is friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay special. The food was spectacular. I can see us coming back as a destination visit as we did not have ample time to explore York properly. I think the spring and summer must be magical at Middlethorpe. Thank-you for providing us with a memorable stay.

Room Tip: The Garden Cottage was large and perfect for a couple and single child.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank laurilyman
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I got married at Middlethorpe Hall on 17th December 2016. I arrived at the hotel on 15th December and with great thanks to the porter - I had help unpacking my car and taking my many many bags to my room. I was staying in the Duke of York Suite. It is a very special room, very spacious and feels very luxurious.

Our family and friends proceeded to arrive over the next 24 hours and they couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. Cars were parked for guests. Check in was quick and easy. And with fires roaring and christmas trees and decorations around there was a particularly festive feeling!

Breakfast is sensational!!! The staff are fantastic - they can't do enough. Every single member of the team at MH is extremely polite and friendly. First class service! We can't thank Middlethorpe for everything you did to help us with the wedding. Julia the wedding planner is an absolute dream. The support that she gave us in the build up to the wedding and on the day was amazing. The day ran without a hitch but I know that is because behind the scenes she was running everything and making sure it all took place as and when it should. Thank you Julia!! Lionel the General Manager was also fantastic - assisting the photographer, helping me with my dress, he again couldn't do enough to help us.

The hotel is kept to an extremely high standard and the spa, gym and pool make this place even more perfect. There are a few things that our guests keep mentioning about our wedding - one of them is the food. Every single guest has commented on how fabulous the food was. Majority stating they have never been to a wedding where the food has been this good. Compliments to the chef!!

Our wedding day was absolutely perfect and my husband and I have only Middlethorpe Hall to thank for this. We have already booked our return trip to celebrate our anniversary in December 2017 (we can't wait!!) and I hope that we will be returning every year to do the same.

All in all, in our opinion, this hotel is absolutely fantastic and ticks every box you expect it to and more. Go and stay, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
2 Thank Hannah T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely hotel with very helpful people to help make stay as relaxed and stress free as possible.

We particularly enjoyed the lounge where the service and room were just lovely. We reallllly wanted to open one of the presents under the tree but decided the threat of being on Santas naughty list just too much!

Would recommend it.

Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Noal P
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my partner stayed for 2 nights, wow we were impressed! Our room was outstanding, with views over the garden. The hotel is in a beautiful location and about 15 minutes bus ride to the town. The minute we arrived we felt very welcomed and that nothing was ever to much to ask. The restaurant is lovely, with a variety of different food options. The food is 5* quality and i couldn't fault it!! The staff were very nice but also very attentive, but not over attentive which was lovely. As sometimes when you go to a restaurant they are constantly watching you and you feel uncomfortable. Overall we have had a very nice little break away before the christmas season began, and we have actually already booked to come again in the new year!!

Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple