“A peaceful haven with first class service!”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I suppose it helped that the weather was perfect; however, our visit to Middlethorpe Hall was idyllic in every sense. From the moment we arrived, to our departure, I couldn't fault a single thing about the experience. OK, so it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for and if this is the price for perfection, then so be it! Our standard Courtyard double room (with King size bed) was wonderful with lots of homely period pieces. Breakfast was excellent as was our dinner for the final night. Indeed the overall dining experience for me was one of the best ever. The hotel is National Trust owned, and the public rooms are filled with paintings and antiques reminiscent of a bygone age; the grounds and walled gardens are immaculate and an oasis of calm . And that leads me to the major selling point - the people! Middlethorpe Hall is staffed with the most professional, efficient and above all, friendly team, who made our stay all the more enjoyable with their personable attitude. You are not a number here!

Highly recommend Middlethorpe Hall for any break or special occasion, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Foxy206
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 8 July 2010

This is the second tie we have stayed at Middlethorpe Hall and once again it didnt disapoint. The rooms are tastfully decorated for the period and is spotlessly clean. The food is delicious and always of a very high standard. I didnt try the spa so cant comment . In my opinion the major plus for this hotel is the staff - service is second to non, staff are always polite and very helpful and do everything with a SMILE, which to me is a huge bonus. This hotel is perfect if you are visiting York Racecourse as it is just over the road. We will definately be going back in the near future and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonnaSYorks
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We had an excellent visit to Middlethorpe this week. Our accommodation was absolutely perfect and could not have been more comfortable.Our room was tastefully furnished with antique furniture and was immaculately clean. We certainly enjoyed walking in the beautiful gardens and admired the flowers which have been tended with care. The Spa is restful with first class staff. We shall definitely return to Middlethorpe .
M & N

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lalala047
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Although this hotel is a couple of miles outside of the Walls of York, it is a great place to stay while visiting the city. It is "old school" all the way, and you really feel like you have stepped back into a more graceful time. Everyone seems happy to be working there, and therefore the service is excellent. The dining room is a little pricey for dinner, but it really is outstanding. There are acres of gardens to enjoy, and a very good spa on site.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2010

It is a refreshing and relaxing 'step back in time' to come to an Historic House Hotel. (I say the same about its sister hotel Hartwell House & Spa near Aylesbury, but I cannot comment on the third hotel in the group, Bodysgallen Hall & Spa, North Wales, as I have not visited recently).

The pace of life slowed and we were cocooned in beautiful surroundings - authentic restored decorations and antiques inside and varied gardens with rolling parkland outside - as befits a National Trust property.

The staff were discreet, pleasant and helpful, the food delicious and the Spa with swimming pool enticing.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CameronLondon
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I stayed here only for one night in a Single Room (with very comfortable double bed) in the Courtyard and really enjoyed my stay. I thought it was great value for money as I had the special deal of £125 which included the evening meal and breakfast as well as the use of the spa. My experience from booking the room to being greeted on arrival was very good and the room was quite small but fine for what I needed for one night. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room as well as a large complimentary bottle of water.

One slight niggle was the fact I had to phone up and pay for internet usage as I was there on business, but once given the code, the access was fast and reliable with no hitches.

I did use the swimming pool, sauna, steamroom etc... across the road and had the place to myself which was perfect for unwinding after a busy day in meetings.

Dinner was fabulous though I have to say was very 'pretty' without there being too much on the plate as many expensive restaurants are. Could have done with a bit more on the plate as it was so tasty! The food is very expensive if purchased outside of the deal but was delicious so worth it for a special occasion.

I do agree with a couple of other reviews that mentioned the dining room lacking a bit of atmosphere - a little bit of classical music in the background would have been perfect rather than absolute silent and other diners whispering to each other across the tables. Perhaps I noticed this more as I was dining alone but if people spoke at normal volume, the whole restaurant seemed to hear!

The staff I spoke with were all extremely courteous and seemed happy to be working there. Breakfast was lovely and there was a good selection for the 'continental' choice and although the full English was extra, it did look very tasty.

All in all, I really enjoyed the stay and would love to go back again - particularly to stay for one of the entertainment nights they host on the terrace.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Just back from a 3 night stay as a small group of ( German and very critical ) friends.
Our overall impression was that it was a very classy place - good service - peace and tranquility abound - a place to relax and unwind. We slept in the superior rooms in the courtyard which overlook and enjoy the scents from the beautiful gardens. Comfortable with good beds, slightly lacking in cupboard space.
The huge lawn at the back of the very impressive main house is a wonderfully sleepy place - like stepping into a Bronty novel or the 18th century - a perfect setting to have one´s afternoon tea.
The spa ( 10 short steps across the road) was very fine - an excellent pool, very clean, at a perfect temperature and very accomodating opening hours. I have been annoyed at many such establishments not opening until 9.00 - here it was 7.30 and ideal for a swim before breakfast.
The "continental" breakfast was somewhat sparse. Having lived and traveeled on the continent for 25 years I am qualified to say that mere cereals, fresh fruit salad, toast and jams out of a jar do not quantify a continental breakfast. This needs improvement. However the dinner was very good, if somewhat pricey.
I was slightly surprised to see no dress requirements for dinner in such imposing surroundings. I for one am all in favour of such and hope the old ways are not dying out.
Give the place a try - you should love it !!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends