“Perfect Hotel - excellent stay, best weekend away ever”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
England
“Perfect Hotel - excellent stay, best weekend away ever”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I could not have made a better choice for a surprise weekend away with my partner to celebrate our 25th Engagement Anniversary. From the moment I emailed them, to the time we left, they could not have been more welcoming, accomodating and friendly. They went out of their way to help with the surprise, obviously, he knew we were going away but not where in the country or which hotel. To do this, they "played" along with me in that I suggested to my partner we could look around a National Trust Property as we had arrived too early to book into our hotel. When the porter opened the door for us, I "realised" my mistake but they offered to show us around.. As this was an exceptionally beautiful warm sunny day, once we had walked round the gardens and grounds, we sat outside and enjoyed coffee and biscuits. We went back to the car, drove past the Hotel and I asked him to pull in to take a photograph and then told him this was were we were staying, it was worth every penny to see his face !
However, I then had a wonderful surprise as although I had booked a room in the main house, they had given us a complimentary upgrade to a suite! Then we had a lovely card in our suite from Mr Chartard, the General Manager offering his congratulations and then later on, complimentary glass of pink champange each. The house is absolutely beautiful, the staff the best we have ever come across and the food was exceptional both in the evening and at breakfast. We were made to feel so welcome at all times they made this the weekend of a lifetime. The Spa and pool is lovely and the perfect way to work up an appitite for the evening meal. Food was supberb and definately the best we have ever had (even beat the Four Seasons).
Suite was beautiful, lovely Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries and housekeeping was perfect . We felt as though we were staying in a beautiful old home, not just a hotel, a great atmostphere, beautiful flowers everywhere. Stunning lounge, libary and lovely fires to sit by and have drinks before the meal.
Basically, everything was perfect and not one negative .
This is expensive but you certainly got more than your moneys worth so it wasn't for the stay that we had! I am so glad I chose Middlethorpe Hall and if I could, I would return frequently. If you are considering a stay and reading this review, book it, I promise that you will be extremely glad that you did. You dont just have a weekend away, you have a fantastic experience. Mr Chartard and his staff are to be commended for the way they run the hotel and make guests feel like friends.

1 Thank hillviewengland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Just returned from a one nights break at Middlethorpe Hall and Spa and its was fabulous.
On arrival, the reception staff were really friendly I mentioned we were recently married and looking forward to relaxing. I also asked for tea and coffee making facilities which was brought to our room with no extra cost (have read that people gave this a negative...just ask)
We stayed in a superior room in the courtyard. The room was so quaint and decorated with little ornaments and wooden furniture.
The spa is lovely and wasn't busy.
On return from the spa, a complimentary bottle of champagne had been put into our room as we were recently married! we were really taken aback.
The main house and gardens are spectacular, almost like a museum with grand rooms extremely well kept.
The staff are brilliant and make you feel very welcome.
Definitely going back. Not one negative.

1 Thank Tallis1983
durham
Reviewed 11 October 2010

i stayed at this hotel for a birthday treat and it was amazing. from the minute you walk through the door the staff make you feel special and nothing is too much trouble. we were fortunate to be upgraded from a superior courtyard room to a 4 poster bed in the main house without even asking. The room was amazing and the views over the grounds gorgeous. We had gone on a package and champagne afternoon tea was included which was served in the drawing room. I would recommend this to anyone that goes the homemade cakes were delighful. We then spent the afternoon in the spa, treatments were available if you wanted them. The best to come was the evening meal. The food is not cheap at this hotel but worth every penny due to quality and taste. The dales beef was the best i've ever tasted. We finished with coffee in the drawing room which was the end to a perfect day. After a very restful sleep we had a delighful full yorkshire breakfast . continental was also available for those who preferred. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciated quality and luxury. perfect for a romantic treat away.

1 Thank tallullah1966
england
Reviewed 9 October 2010

my wife and i stayed for three days and nights and had a superb time. we were upgraded to a suite, the room was spacious, and very clean. The staff could not be more helpful and the food was just out of this world. We have stayed at many hotels but we were made to feel as if we were special and we will definately be going back, a must if you are visiting york.

1 Thank hazel43england
Keighley
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had a superior room booked and wasn't happy with the room and was then moved to the main house. This was there best room, but it was shabby, bedding was not white! Bathroom with a off white toilet mat around the toilet and just needed a general update! We decided not to stay, but was charged (- VAT) which was refunded because they knew we would complain on your website!
Then finally as the gentleman took our luggage to the car, he dragged my husband's new Ralf Lauren shirt on the drive way and would not admit he had marked the cuffs!! Overall I think it needs a serious makeover!! I would never go again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank andrea3001blondedx30
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
The disappointing experience of the couple in question at National Trust’s Middlethorpe Hall, can only be described as a ‘brief encounter’, as they viewed the two bedrooms, escorted by our porter and left within minutes – one even wonders how they had time to check the standards of our linen!

The context was:
 These guests had called earlier that day, trying to cancel their reservation and were told that a late charge would apply because of the short notice;
 They were also offered a complimentary upgrade to one of our deluxe suites but declined abruptly, not even wanting to see the accommodation, preferring an immediate departure and also generating a certain amount of noise and upset in the front hall.

They reluctantly accepted the last minute cancellation charge, therefore their behaviour had an ulterior motive, and did not fairly reflect that of which they wrongly accuse the hotel.
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

The family spent the weekend at Middlethorpe - we were upgraded to suites outside the main building in an old cottage nearby - great for privacy, but beside the spa and a dash through the rain to the main hotel and its elegant lounges.
It is certainly very pleasant to draw up beside the main facade and walk into a stone-flagged hall - the reception rooms really are comfortable and elegant - after dinner drinks beside the fire in the ballroom is the tops.
Only had breakfast in the hotel - Saturday's Yorkshire breakfast meant no lunch needed that day. The spa was good, and our rooms excellent. Its not cheap, but it is elegant!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ihbScotland
scotland
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I have NEVER been so impressed with a hotel as I am with Middlethorpe-, although I have travelled very extensively over many years and stayed in many excellant hotels.
From the moment of arrival until the minute you check out - you are in Heaven..
The staff, without exception, are a delight, Nothing is too much trouble - friendly and efficient, attentive without being overwhelming.
The ambience is of a very elegant country house which manages to feel comfortabe warm and friendly, and somehow you feel as if this is YOUR own luxurious home.
The food can only be called CUISINE.
The rooms,( and I sneaked a look at quite a few) -, are quite superb- all of them, and I loved the fact that if there is availability on your arrival, they upgrade you, bless them.
The restaurant is beautiful, oak panneled and lit with candles and thank you Middlethorpe for not having piped music.
The toiletries are Crabtree & Evelyn and there are lots of little touches everywhere which add to the perfection of this hotel
The drawing room is Exquisite, where you really feel at home, relaxing over a cup of coffee and the afternoon tea is second to none.Beside it, is a small library, lovely, which I used as my personal morning room.
Lional Chatard, the general manager is a handsome Frenchman who is a hotelier through and through. Ask to have a chat with him - he's a fascinating gentleman with lots of knowledge of anything to do with hotels .
You will not in any way be disappointed with this hotel.
Shall I return? YES, YES, AND YES.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo