“A special and beautiful place, lovely staff, and a wonderful night's sleep”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 22 February 2011

From the moment I stepped across the threshold, the service I received was impeccable. Very professional but friendly staff took my bags to my beautiful room, in stunning grounds. This hotel is a former country house and is full of charm and character. I had a quick swim first in their spa and gym area (situated in converted cottages on the grounds,a few seconds' walk from the main house) then ate a lovely meal in their restaurant, again enjoying excellent service (I am wheat intolerant and they had wheat free bread and were able to adapt the menu to my requirements without any fuss). Enjoyed my complimentary early morning tea - delivered to the room - after having had a wonderful night's sleep on the comfiest bed I have slept in away from home. This place is a real treat.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,351)

Reviewed 19 February 2011

Fabulous hotel in a fabulous location. Nice, if dated, room in courtyard overlooking garden. However there were two significant problems: no tea/coffee facilities in room meaning room service would have cost £13.50 for two teas! Secondly, breakfast finished at 0930hrs. Even business hotels don't finish that early!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Middlethorpe, General Manager at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

We are delighted that these guests found the National Trust's Middlethorpe Hall & Spa to be fabulous both because of its location and as an hotel. We are also pleased that they would recommend a visit here.

However, we are a little puzzled by their comment about the absence of tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. Indeed, complimentary 'welcome trays' are available on request and this is clearly indicated in our 'information for guests'. Furthermore, 'Tailor of Harrogate' leaf tea or 'ethically sourced' coffee are charged at £4.25 and accompanied with home-made shortbreads and biscuits - not the price mentioned above. Early morning tea is complimentary, included in the room rate, in all bedrooms.

As in most country house hotels, breakfast hours in the dining room are 7.30 to 9.30 weekdays, and 8.00 to 10.00 on weekends, bank holidays and York Race Days. A room service order can be placed after that time.

Reviewed 18 February 2011

I regard Middlethorpe Hall as a real haven of tranquility with genuine staff who make the total experience so special. . Every time I come to M.H. I feel as though I am totally AT HOME . My visits are always because I am visiting my sick husband in hospital in Leeds and I really appreciate not having the long journey home. Please don't change anything..........and a special thankyou.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Really can't fault Middlethorpe Hall. Stayed for only one night on business but have determined to return in the future. Staff were welcoming, efficient and friendly. Bedroom was comfortable and clean - what else could anyone ask? I'll be recommending this one to friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I felt we had stepped back in time where people were treated with respect by staff who employed quiet professionalism. A lovely atmosphere in beautiful surroundings, the food was exceptional as was the service, we were totally relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the quiet polite society. We would definatley visit the Hall again and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates the finer sophisticated way of life.
Simon and Janet

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2011

We arrived for our one night stay on Monday, 17th January, having chosen Middlethorpe as both of our children are students at the University of York, and hoped to meet up with them when passing through. We had the family's dogs with us. Our arrival at Middlethorpe Hall could not have been more welcoming. We were informed on checking that we had been given a room in The Courtyard as it was thought that "it would be helpful with the dogs". Helpful was an understatement. How absolutely lovely, and so thoughtful to consider what too many hotels would have seen as a nuisance. It was unexpected, but indeed perfect, with a secure outside area. Our children joined us for an evening meal, which was delicious (room service, delivered by polite and charming staff) to complete the perfect evening. The interiors of the hotel itself are beautiful. It seems to me that most of the country house hotels we used to frequent some time ago have all been given a "boutique" makeover, not at all to our taste. Not so at Middlethorpe. The drawing room is one of the most beautiful I have seen. I hope they will not be tempted to replace the chintz and silk with faux fur and leather! It is the most delightful interior I have had the pleasure to see in years.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We stayed in No 28 in the Courtyard for Christmas. The words 'Middlethorpe life' have entered our lexicon, they mean bliss, complete comfort, relaxation, gorgeous food, lovely people. A beautiful house, carefully restored, the attention to detail is wonderful. Top Tip? Afternoon tea in the main drawing room, by the fire, on a winters day...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple