“Great for business”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Here for a meeting with dynamic advertising agency. Rented meeting room,superb,clean,all mod cons and free wifi. Cheaper than snotty sussex b&b I stayed at,disgruntled wierdo that owned that still emails to show indignation at unfavourable review! Niece at uni here too so will be a regular returner here

• Stayed: May 2011
HiltonYork, Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to your meeting at the hotel. I am pleased to read that you found the room to be superb, clean and with all the mod cons, and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back as a regular guest.

Kind regard

Reviewed 4 May 2011

Great location very close to the city centre.
Very clean room with large tv's
Lovely friendly staff throughout the hotel. The cleaners always greeted us when passing.
Delicious buffet breakfast with a large choice and always stocked up. Again the staff were very friendly when taking us to our table
We've been to York 4 times now. We would stay here again if we found another cheap deal

• Stayed: April 2011
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the staff to be lovely throughout the hotel and that you had a delicious buffet breakfast with a large choice of food. It is a pleasure to receive such feedback and I have passed on your kind comments to all of my staff as they serve as a great motivator.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to Hilton York in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

What you expect in that its a lightly above average hotel with a good breakfast. Room was clean enough but we had a broken plug so no baths and a broken window which meant it couldn't be closed properly and therefore very noisy with a grill bar underneath till about 3 am. The staff however are very warm and welcoming, love the valet parking and all staff were friendly and very apologetic about the problems which means we would probably go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay and the problems that occurred were dealt with in an apologetic manner by my staff and that you found them to be welcoming and friendly too.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 April 2011

This hotel is located centrally to all York's sights but it's old and not value for money. Book it when there is a special offer is on.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 26 April 2011

"At Hilton Family of Hotels, we are dedicated to providing "Best in Class" service"… I'm sorry to say it was more like a cheap B&B than a classy hotel! Paid £159 for a "double double guest room" and breakfast for my husband's birthday present & with my 4yr old son.....
- After a fantastic day in York, tried to check-in about 5pm, key wouldn't work. After up & down the stairs with bags, tired 4yr old & ratty concierge four times they refused to give us another room & instead told us to wait in the foyer. Finally after 40 mins of waiting, my husband complained & still refusing to give us another room they offered us a free drink in the bar.
- Drinks menu provided, but after 10 mins of obviously being forgotten, we went in search of the waitress. Drinks supplied but they had run out of pinot noir (my choice). Pinot grigio offered as an alternative (!). I instead chose another RED wine. That arrived, but obviously corked - I went in search of the waitress & she said she'd replace it. 20 mins later she'd disappeared & I had no drink. Husband went to find the manager - turned out the cellar man had gone home for the weekend, taken the key, so who knows what had happened to the waitress. Now sat in bar for 30 mins with no drink. Manager did apologise & offered us free dinner & finally got offered an alternative room...now 6.30pm ( 1 1/2hrs after trying to check in).
- Changed & went to dinner. Eventually ordered plain vanilla ice cream for my son. After 15 mins the waitress apologised for the wait & said the chef was very busy. Other than ours there were just 3 other tables.....all I wanted was 2 scoops of plain ice cream!
- Our dessert menu arrived. After no waitress for another 15 mins my husband again went to find the manager just to order 2 coffees.
- Room was unacceptably small for 3 of us & you could only get 1 person at a time in the bathroom...I've stayed in cheap Ibis hotels in France that were bigger (with better service) than this Hilton!
- Awful noise all night from outside the hotel.
- Came to check out. Girl on reception tried to charge £24 for breakfast, despite me having paid in advance. Thank god I still had the receipt I'd already shown when checking in...she was extremely rude & quite clearly didn't want to be spending her Sunday morning at work!
Free dinner was a nice gesture, but all we wanted was not to be left waiting for 90 mins with a small child to check in! Not to be kept waiting 20 mins for ice cream, 30 mins for a glass of wine, 15 mins for a coffee, rude concierge & receptionist.......and a waitress that not only abandoned us, but didn't even know the difference between pinot noir & pinot grigio.... I complained afterwards & got ignored. THIS IS THE HILTON FOR GOD'S SAKE! I accept keys & locks break down...but why not simply change our room? Supposed to be a birthday treat, but would absolutely never stay in a Hilton hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Motson

Dear Guest,

I was most disappointed and concerned to learn of your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in our customer service you experienced during your stay, there can be no excuse for the unacceptable manner in which your concerns were dealt with by my team. I have instigated further training for the entire hotel team to ensure that the standard of customer care and service normally associated with Hilton hotels, is delivered at all times, as we strive to not only meet, but exceed our customers’ expectations and to ensure that guests are dealt with in the professional and empathetic manner required in future situations.

Thank for your comments it is through such feed back that I am able to constantly improve our products and services.

Reviewed 25 April 2011

Well situated at the fringe of this vibrant city. Disabled parking bays oppostie the front door if required with unlimited time. perhaps a little narrow for easy vehicle access but not the hotels fault.
Booking in was pleasant and easy and the room was adequate , the weather was hot and the lack of aircon (Cant believe it) made the heat uncomfortable. No mini bar and basic provision of complimentary toiletry items . Beds clean ,well made up and comfortable , Shower over bath was a problem for my wife who was on crutches and would have benefitted from a walk in shower or wetroom.
The staff could not have been nicer and more friendly , The manager introduced himself and his deputy and enquired if we were satisfied and were enjoying our stay , We were served an excellent afternoon tea by the helpul and friendly barperson Leia .
The chef fried me two fresh eggs to order for breakfast which was exellently presented and well cooked , The fruits were a delight!
Michael the food and bevs manager was always on hand to assist and pass a few moments chatting , A lovely chap.
A parking charge of seventeen pounds had erroneously found its way onto my final bill but this was resolved in an efficient and friendly manner.

Room Tip: Have the afternoon tea!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your kind comments on this website.

It is great to receive such positive feedback from guests and am pleased that the staff could not have been nicer and more friendly and that you had an enjoyable city break.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

The best thing about this Hilton is the incredible location which is within close walking distance of most of the York attractions - don't bother with the car unless you are going out of York itself - yes, the parking is pricy at £17 per day however it is competitive with the council car parks, it's safe and it's valet parking ! The rooms ae fairly basic by Hilton standards but everything is there you need, very clean and well maintained - we got an excelent room rate and definitely will be back here

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found, the location to be incredible, and the rooms to be well maintained and am pleased to learn that you will definitely be back.

Kind regards,