“Going back after a few years”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I recently stayed at the York Hilton for a week, I had previous been there multiple times a few years ago.

I really like the hotel, the location is superb for shopping or sightseeing and if you want a break in York go ahead and book.

A few things to note though.

The car park is small and underground, a valet will normally play car tetris with your car to make sure they get as many £17 a day vehicles in there. I can't fault the staff who let me park for free for ten minutes whilst I unloaded. Don't park outside, traffic wardens do patrol the area.

Try to get a room away from the back not near the function room. If you are over it, don't bank on getting to sleep before 2AM. They host a lot of functions, wedding receptions etc.

The service is good, but patchy. One morning at breakfast the staff whisked away bowls and plates as soon as you had taken the last mouthful. The next day we had to pile finished plates up on the window sill to make more room.

Bar prices are high, there are many great pubs within minutes and if you don't want to pay for a coffee in the hotel there is a Starbucks and Neros a biscotti throw away.

Overall though, everybody was very helpful especially Viola the room maid who went out of her way to clean my room, fitting in around my odd work hours.

Room Tip: Not near the function room in the back.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RoadtripperPeter
Write a ReviewReviews (2,999)

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I was a bit nervous about this hotel following some negative reviews on here, but I have no idea what everyone was complaining about. There was a small glitch in some of the details of our booking, but this was sorted out with very little fuss and to our satisfaction.

Our room was on the second floor, was an excellent size, all very clean, modern and comfortable. The view of Clifford's Tower was also very impressive. The complimentary wine, water and fruit was a lovely touch. We ordered room service breakfast on the first day, which was excellent. On the second day we had breakfast in the restaurant and this was also very good.

Special mention must go to the guy looking after the garage (which is quite small and tight but he manages it like clockwork). We had to go back and forth a few times due to my husband's car being used for a wedding car in York during our stay. The guy couldn't have been more helpful, professional, friendly, or obliging. He always made sure our car was easily accessible and even brought it round to the front for us, then parked it for us again later. Nothing was too much trouble. I wish I'd got his name but he definitely deserves much credit. In fact, all the staff were very professional and friendly.

Overall, this is an ideal base if you're visiting York.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to that you enjoyed your stay and found the room and breakfast to be excellent.
I am pleased that you found the concierge team to be most professional and friendly, our car park can be challenging at times and they do an excellent job of managing this.

I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Overall a very good stay at this Hilton. Room pretty clean with good TV complete with the essential Sky News for pre-breakfast. Smallish room but that was ok. Bathroom small but well equipped with high quality toiletries. However...the room view of the air conditioning unit was less than impressive....plus there was a stained white leather seat in the room. On the plus side comfortable beds and had a very good night sleep. Nice Hilton touch of complimentary water, wines and fruit. Breakfast are fantastic. Pretty much has everything. Bagels, haggis, pastries and all the usuals etc. Staff were great - very friendly and efficient especially when I left my glasses in the breakfast room....they were picked up and kept behind reception. Great location. Only last complaint...no free Wi-Fi and it's just a rip off what they ask you to pay. Overall very good stay.

Room Tip: Try ask for a decent view (i.e. not the air conditioning side!)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a very good stay and found the room to be clean, but was disappointed with the view. However, on a brighter note I was delighted you found the breakfast to be fantastic and once again found my team very friendly and efficient. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be passing on your comments to them as they serve as a great motivator.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

If you are heading to York for a short break, the location of the Hilton is fantastic. You can walk to all of the city centre locations within minutes.

The staff are very helpful and polite and make check-in and out as speedy and simple as possible. We were offered a parking and breakfast package offer of £30 for the night, giving us a good saving compared to the individual costs of these services separately.

I paid with Hilton Honours points for my stay, although I could have stayed at a much better quality of Hilton hotel within the same price band, so was disappointed with my choice.

The rooms are old and less than I have come to expect from Hilton: there was no mini bar, carpets, curtains and room furnishings were very worn. Had I been staying for more than one night, I would not have accepted the room I was given.

Although basically clean, there is no feeling that you are enjoying anything other than a standard budget hotel room, which given the proposition Hilton claim to deliver, is short of expectations.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank manctrav

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was pleased to read your feedback regarding my team, they do work very hard to ensure that they deliver excellent customer service at all times making sure that all guest are cared for during their stay.

Your comments regarding the rooms are much appreciated as it is through such feedback that I am able to constantly improve our products and services.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Arrived home after staying 3 days at this hotel with the "girls". We went for xmas shopping. From the time we arrived to the time we left we received excellent service from all members of staff. Our car was parked on arrival and one of our rooms was ready,which meant we could freshen up and leave our bags . Within 5 mins you are in the city centre and near the tourist attractions. Hotel is in a perfect location. I have to say that all members of staff that we saw, stopped and aknowledged us and were at all times,polite,friendly and courtious.The restuarant is very well run with plenty of staff. Food was great,lovely choice for breakfast and dinner menu excellent value at £15.00,
Hotel spotlessly clean and the house keepers were very thorough.
Our room was very comfortable and we were grateful for the iron/ironing board in the room. We even had a fan. Obviously for the warmer weather ! Pillows on the bed were to die for,but for me i found the bed slightly hard.Electrical fault reported to reception was dealt with very promptly.
The whole experience was fabulous and as i say the staff work very hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will be staying here again when we come to York. Thanks for our stay,keep up the good work.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had a fabulous stay here at the Hilton York and found all members of my team to be polite, friendly and courteous. My team work hard to ensure we deliver the highest standards of customer service and I am pleased that on this occasion it was no exception.

I was also delighted to learn that you found the food to be great with a lovely choice for breakfast and dinner.

I am pleased that you have no hesitations in recommending our hotel and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Just stayed a couple of days in York, staying at the Hilton which was only mins away from the city centre, accommodation was good and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on this website.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and found my team to be most friendly and helpful. I will be passing on your comments to them as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Not up to the standards of Hilton, No safe in the room. First night, heating wasn't working (had to send me a heater in the middle of the night. , and the mattress not the size of the bed, so bumped my knee twice.!) Changed room next day, better, but still no wardrobe, just few hangers. Wake up calls just 1-2 rings! Internet overcharged, as usual.

Pro: Breakfast 5-star, central location 3 min walk from downtown.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on this website.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations, whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

I am pleased that you found the breakfast to be 5 star and enjoyed the central location.