“Top Hotel”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Top Hotel”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We booked two rooms at the Hilton at the beginning of December, we arrived just before lunch.
As booking in time was from 15.00 it was a nice surprise to be told that the rooms were ready for us.
The receptionist was very pleasant and assured us that the rooms would be quiet as we had requested, she was right we never heard any noise and considering we were on the front of the hotel with a view of the tower this was great.
When we got to the rooms we found complimentary wine, fruit and water,the rooms were spotlessly clean and a good size with a small table and chairs.The en suite was a good size and also spotlessly clean.
The breakfasts were brilliant with everything freshly cooked and a choice of cereals,fruit,cold cuts, cheese and pastries.
We visit York every December and have stayed in various hotels but for us The Hilton is the
tops.
Congratulations to all the staff for giving us fabulous weekend.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room it is worth the extra
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had a fabulous weekend and that you received excellent customer service from all members of my team. I am indeed very proud of my team and I will be passing on your comments to them.

I look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Pluses: good location near the city centre. Good restaurant attached (there was also a Henry J Beans restaurant which would be useful for families with children). The room was comfortable, with a very pleasant chair for reading. I would to commend the staff for their good attitude in service.

Minuses: room was quite small for the price, and the view was poor (although I did not request a scenic panaroma from the window).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Edward G
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the restaruant to be good, and the room to be most comfortable. We are very fortuante to have a central location too.
I am indeed very proud of my team and I will certainly share your comments with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Our stay in York was ruined by a noisy function that went on until well after midnight. We were not advised of this at the time of booking and were only advised that the function was going on at check in although we were not given any indication that it would disturb us. Hotel staff were not particularly helpful and had were dismissive of my complaint. Would not return due to our experience despite it being in an excellent location.

• Stayed December 2011

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

The Beautiful North
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Great location for Clifford’s Tower (immediately opposite), York Museum, castle area.
Shops within 1 minute walk, good restaurants within 5 minute walk, train station about 15 minute walk. Accommodation, service, cleanliness, breakfast all excellent, which is what you’d expect from a Hilton hotel. Lifts to upper floors for those with mobility problems.

The only downside is the price, but this can be lower than you’d expect at off-peak times. Just before Christmas, we found it was only £8 more per night than the B&B we were originally trying to book !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the breakfast to be excellent, and the location to be superb, It is a pleasure to receive such feedback and I have passed on your kind comments to all of my staff as they serve as a great motivator.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to Hilton York in the future.

Yours sincerely

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This was booked in secret by my husband for two nights stay during July 2011 for my 50th Birthday. He had booked a balloon ride from York Racecourse. The setting is in the centre of York city. Our room overlooked the 'Keep'. The rooms were clean and comfortable, not used to this lifestyle. Bath and shower, au suite, equiped with dressing gowns and slippers. The bed was to die for. Facilities changed every day, ie fruit and wine. The breakfast was buffet style, catering for everyones tastes, eggs were cooked fresh to order. We had dinner on the second night, albeit, there were only a few of us, the meal was beautiful and was not expensive. Staff were great and friendly except one girl in the restaurant seemed not happy to be at work and was slamming things around a bit, but did eventually cool it down. Will stay again if we stay in York. Lovely setting. Car Parking charges a bit over the top.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write review on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton York for your birthday.

It is a pleasure to receive such positive comments and I will be passing them on to all of my team as they serve as a great motivator.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Got a great deal by booking early in the year, stayed in one of the suites.Very comfortable lounge area spacious with large tv,room was over the public restaurant so a little bit noisy, but didn't go on too late. Bathroom had bath & shower, thought it might have been a whirlpool bath but afraid not. Breakfast buffet style excellent! Staff very friendly & helpful. We come to York every year & try a different hotel each time but providing we can get the same deal as this year we will be back! Excellent location,excellent breakfast,lovely room,magnificent city.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments.

I appreciate your kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us we certainly are very fortunate with our central location and I am pleased that you found the breakfast to be excellent too.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Lancashire
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed at the Hilton for 3 nights for my husbands birthday, i upgraded our room to a suite as it was a special occasion, i was very disappointed though the hotel was very dated, it needed an awful lot of work doing to it. We have stayed in many Hilton hotels and this is by far the worst. Our room was very spacious but needed decorating and modernising, the bathroom was very old fashioned and you couldn't lie down in the bath as it was so tiny. The hotel itself is very well placed in the city for shopping and sightseeing. There is a car park but it is under the hotel and is very small, and very expensive!! The service and breakfast were nice and all the staff were very friendly, the hotel could just do with a lot of money spent on it to bring it out of the dark ages!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mlmancity
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the areas, our services failed to deliver to your expectations, whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.