“Very nice hotel conveniently located in York”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Durham
“Very nice hotel conveniently located in York”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My partner and I stayed here on Saturday 10th March. This was our second visit to the hotel, all be it unplanned after arriving an another hotel on the same night and swiftly had to leave to due the dirtiness, see my review of Ripon Spa Hotel for futher details.

The hotel was lovely as always. The staff are very friendly and efficient in both room service, check in, restaurant and the bar. The rooms were very clean as well as all the public areas.

The restaurant food leaves something to be desired, however it was edible and for the price of a 3course meal for £15.00 you cannot complain. At the end of the day they don't advertise to be an al a carte restaurant.

I've reviewed the other comments about this hotel and can't understand why someone would complain about how long it took to run a bath? Yes it took a few more minutes than it would at home but for "30 minutes" they were clearly trying to flood the bathroom...
Similarly I can agree with comments that certain aspects of the hotel are impersonal however I feel this is a positive as who wants to be constantly bothered and feel like your in someone else's home when you're trying to have a weekend away?

I always recommend this hotel to my friends and won't stay anywhere else in York.

1 Thank Megan223
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found my team to be friendly and efficient. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be sharing your comments with them.

It is kind of you to recommend our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed at the Hilton York for two night early March 2012. We had booked an "upgrade" to the standard room, and I have to say the room was disappointing, although very clean, and in the front of the hotel with a view of Clifford Tower, it was just an average hotel room in size, the bathroom being particularly small. The water pressure was dreadful, took a good half hour to run a bath and had to run around in the shower to get wet. The window did not close fully and we might as well have been trying to sleep on the front steps! The revellers had had a marvellous night, and they were indeed "the champions", the street cleaner paused, I am sure under the window just to make sure we were awake, the ducks from the nearby river were vocal - not to mention the removal company that had moved in upstairs,
Yes, its very central, but very impersonal and very noisy. Didn't eat here so cannot comment on the restaurant. Breakfast buffet was what you would expect from a large chain buffet - ok.
If you chose this hotel ask for a room at the rear of the building if you hope to get any sleep.

Room Tip: Room sin the front are noisy.
1 Thank jandgEssex
Dear Guest,

It is with regret to read of your disappointment with your overall experience, and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. Your comments regarding the water pressure have been passed on to the Maintenance Manager who is in the process of trying to resolve this issue.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I sincerely hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future where I am positive we can show that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

Regards,

London, UK
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Although the booking in process was efficient and welcoming, the Hilton York is a large, rather impersonal hotel. Its main advantage is its great city centre location with the advantage of secure underground parking, the latter which we were extremely grateful for having experienced the rowdiness of some of the visitors to central York on a Saturday night.
The rooms are serviceable and quite comfortable albeit with relatively cheap furniture. If you have a room at the front of the hotel you will also have splendid views of Clifford’s Tower although it can be noisy at night due to passing revellers.
However, there are a number of issues with this hotel, most of them centred on the restaurant. The breakfast was a buffet breakfast as is often the case in hotels such as this. The buffet system was chaotic, again not unusual but not helped in this instance by a poor design of staff entrances to the kitchen areas which meant that guests in the queue constantly had to move out of the way of staff. The quality of food was poor. Even with a buffet breakfast there is no excuse for grey, congealed scrambled egg and fried eggs sitting in pools of fat. However, the breakfast was comparatively good compared to the one dinner which we had there on our first night. The meal was bland and poorly cooked using very poor quality ingredients. A game pie consisted of thick, overcooked pastry and a filling which was of a paste like consistency. We ate out the other nights at some of the excellent restaurants in York although it is necessary to book early to get a table.
The quality of services in the restaurant was also mixed. The dinner service was efficient and warm. Breakfast service was more perfunctionary. It’s a bit disconcerting to have a buffet tureen whipped from under your spoon by a member of staff without as much as an excuse me.
We will not be staying at the Hilton York again. There are better, more personal hotels in York city centre and better chain hotels on the outskirts. It is a great shame that Hilton is not making the most of the hotel’s excellent location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding the areas our services failed to deliver to your expectations.

I have noted your comments regarding the poor service and quality of food you received; these comments have been passed onto our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager who are taking the necessary corrective actions with their teams.

I am disappointed to read that you won�t be returning back to the Hilton York due to these issues but I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to prove that we can do better.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had 3 nights here, thankfully in cold weather as British hotels are hell in summer with no air-con!! The location is perfect, close to everywhere you want to be but not in the centre. We parked our car in the secure car park under the hotel and didn't see it again until we left. The food at the hotel was top notch (including the breakfast which was included in the deal with the valet parking!) and the staff were brilliant. I stay in Hiltons around the world and this compared very favourably. In particular because of the superb staff. Will definitely go back (In winter!!)

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank gflyer2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am extremely grateful for your positive remarks following your stay with us, and delighted that you found the food to be ‘top notch and my team to be ‘brilliant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York next winter!

Scarborough
Reviewed 5 March 2012

A very difficult hotel to review. If I were to compare it with other Hilton’s I have been in it would get a low rating as there is simply no comparison. If you compare it with your average York hotel it is not so bad. We were welcomed warmly by the receptionist and concierge for car parking. In fact throughout our stay the staff were the equal of staff in other Hilton hotels. We were given Room 141 which was on the first floor and was the room nearest the lifts. Unfortunately this meant that many people passed our room to get to their rooms. On the Saturday night we retired early as we were on a business break but had worked long hours. During the night we were constantly disturbed. We had to endure singing, loud talking and raucous laughing. Why people do this in hotels is beyond me. I too often have late nights but I keep quiet while making my way to my room. In all we were disturbed for four or five hours. The next day I asked reception if we could change rooms as it was now Sunday so presumably there were several empty rooms. It would not have been inappropriate if we had been offered a room with a higher grade but we were offer another “average” room Room 305. This was a much quieter room and we were able to sleep. Both rooms had plumbing which left a lot to be desired. In our first room the shower was a steady sprinkle of no great power. The WC in this room did not flush properly and you needed to flush 5/6 times before than pan was cleared. In the second room the power of the shower was even less and was a mere trickle. Both rooms were well below the standard I have seen in other Hilton hotels but then again I did book them at a cheap rate lower than the normal rate. We booked breakfast for the two mornings we were there. On the Saturday breakfast was appalling. There was a queue of people waiting to be served the buffet style breakfast. We were expected to put what ingredients we liked on our plates and work our way down the queue. At the end you had to wait for your eggs. By the time you had waited and got to your table the meal apart from the egg was cold. Surely it would make more sense to have the eggs done first then put on the other ingredients next. The chef was working on his own and I really felt for him. He was doing a great job trying to keep up with the queue with no help. He was also have to refill trays at the same time. When I got my eggs I asked for them to be turned over therefore taking more of his much needed time. He was most polite and very friendly and he even scraped off the coagulated beans iI had on my plate and replaced them with beans that had just come out of the kitchen. I could not have done what he was expected to do without losing my temper but he was cool throughout the ordeal. We will use the hotel again as it is central to where I need to be. I am setting up a new business in York and I will be having many nights away from home. My next stay is in another hotel in two weeks time and I am once again at the Hilton on 12th April for just one night. If that experience is not pleasant I will not return. Even though I paid a cheap rate I do expect certain standards and hopefully I will get a better room on my return in April. Overall, the hotel is not as good as other Hilton hotels but the staff are brilliant. They are friendly and will put themselves out for you. Well done Hilton staff your are a credit to your employers. I hope they pay you well!

2 Thank YorkshireFellow
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on this website.

I was disappointed to read your feedback regarding the areas our services failed to deliver to your expectations. I have since spoken to my Management team with reference to the points you raised and can assure you that the necessary corrective actions have been instigated to ensure that our guests are looked after to the high standards of customer care.

On a brighter note, I was pleased to learn that you found my team to be ‘brilliant’ I am very proud of them and I will be passing on your comments to them all as they serve as a great motivator.

Once again thank you for your review. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in April.

manchester
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Great location in York.
Rooms were great, we were 2 girls so asked for a twin room, there were 2 double beds which was brilliant, usual facilities- TV, radio/alarm clock, bath/shower, kettle.
Secure parking under the hotel think it was £17 for 24hours, we arrived at 12pm on the saturday and left at 10am on the Sunday, but the hotel was happy for us to leave the car if we were staying in york for the whole second day.
Breakfast was very nice, all types avaliable.
Overall a pleasant stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank katiee5
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

I appreciate your kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you had a pleasant stay.

I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton York.

Stevenage
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed at the Hilton good deal the staff were excellent we arrived 2 hours early but our room was ready so we booked in, nice room usual layout spotless comfy bed. Ideal position for sightseeing The Museum is about 150 yards away you can get to all the attractions easily, We had breakfast as part of our deal very good plenty of choice. Would go back there again car was parked up within the Hotel so no worries there all in all a pleasant stay in a wonderful City.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I appreciate your kind comments and am pleased that you had a pleasant stay and found the location of the hotel to be ideal for visiting all the attractions York has to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the near future.