“Weekend Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in York
Telford, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked a weekend break and on arrival were able
To upgrade to a suite for an additional £8.00 which included two small bottles of wine, water and two pieces of fruit. The stay included breakfast and evening meal.
The room/suite was wonderful and the king size bed was fabulous. Tea and coffee in the room, TV etc all good quality. Evening meal and breakfast were great
Staff very friendly and really helpful
Will stay there again on our next visit
Location is very good and is in the centre of York overlooking Cliffords Tower

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your great review with us on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to learn that you had a lovely stay and enjoyed your weekend break at the Hilton York. I will be passing on your comments to my team as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have just spent a week end at the Hilton York, 1 Tower street.
Firstly I would say if you are not a smoker do not go to this hotel . The smell of smoke is strong on the corridors and although I requested a non smoking room the rooms directly opposite were smoking rooms and the smell was strong.The rooms were marked as smoking rooms. I was very surprised that the Hilton Hotel Group now allow smoking in bedrooms and will not return.
Our rooms were cold and we had to call reception to have the heating switched on as radiators were cold and we were told the heating timer had been switched off for our room section , which was the second floor. Not what we were expecting for our special occasion at the Hilton.
On the plus side the staff were wonderful, although not enough of them ,they were friendly and very hard working . Room was clean and comfortable and once we had heating it was fine but very average. No fridge or mini bar .
Breakfast was another issue as there was only one young man behind counter who was responsible for not only frying eggs for everyone but replentishing all the trays of cooked food and supplying plates/bowls etc, so queues were building. Not good!
Also fresh fruit although available for breakfast was difficult to get to because the large queue blocked access.
Location is very good being a few minutes walk from shops bars and restaurants. The staff are wonderful but the hotel was disappointing.

Room Tip: If you do not smoke go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sylviaatdurham
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was most concerned to read your review regarding the areas our services failed to deliver to your expectations, whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

I am disappointed to read that you won’t be returning back to the Hilton York due to these issues but I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to prove that we can do better.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed at the hotel for only 2 nights - 16/17 March 2012, with our dog. Found the hotel to be in an excellent location for the town centre and also for access to nice walks for the dog. Hotel staff were all helpful and friendly towards us at all times. Would deffinatly stay again and would recommend it based on our stay.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Paulfranlara
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found my team to be helpful and friendly. We are lucky to be in such a great location which makes us an ideal base for exploring York.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The staff at the hotel are wonderful and friendly, nothing too much trouble. We did have a problem with heating but straight away they changed our room and upgraded us with no hassle. Small dogs are made to feel very welcome and with grass just opposite the hotel, no searching for a park. The rooms were large enough, nice beds,extra pillows when requested, plenty of storage, bathroom not large but practical. We had rooms at the back of the hotel and front and noise level was quiet.The only noise very occasionly we heard was from the small group of geese that are around the clifford tower.Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice, fruit, yoghurt, cereals, bread,toast, pastries and cooked.Eggs cooked to order. There may be no fridges in the rooms but just ask reception and they put anything in their fridge.
Clifford Tower and York Castle Museum opposite.Yjorvik and York Dungeon 5 mins walking from hotel. Even York Minister is only 10 minutes walking. Hop on Hop off bus stops just outside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank susielove
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and you found my team to be wonderful and friendly and enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed in February 2012 on business.

This is a good hotel with attentive staff and a great location, a short walk from York centre.
Rooms are well presented and clean, if a little on the small side, with the bathrooms on the small side, but everything is in good order. I stayed here in the week, and there was some street noise which could be heard in the room. I would imagine on Friday or Saturday nights this could be an issue.

Only other niggle is the cost of parking, 17 pounds is expensive.

Otherwise I will use this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank gwaredd
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton York. We are lucky to be in such a great location which makes us an ideal base for exploring York.

Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

My partner and I stayed here on Saturday 10th March. This was our second visit to the hotel, all be it unplanned after arriving an another hotel on the same night and swiftly had to leave to due the dirtiness, see my review of Ripon Spa Hotel for futher details.

The hotel was lovely as always. The staff are very friendly and efficient in both room service, check in, restaurant and the bar. The rooms were very clean as well as all the public areas.

The restaurant food leaves something to be desired, however it was edible and for the price of a 3course meal for £15.00 you cannot complain. At the end of the day they don't advertise to be an al a carte restaurant.

I've reviewed the other comments about this hotel and can't understand why someone would complain about how long it took to run a bath? Yes it took a few more minutes than it would at home but for "30 minutes" they were clearly trying to flood the bathroom...
Similarly I can agree with comments that certain aspects of the hotel are impersonal however I feel this is a positive as who wants to be constantly bothered and feel like your in someone else's home when you're trying to have a weekend away?

I always recommend this hotel to my friends and won't stay anywhere else in York.

1 Thank Megan223
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found my team to be friendly and efficient. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be sharing your comments with them.

It is kind of you to recommend our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manger
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed at the Hilton York for two night early March 2012. We had booked an "upgrade" to the standard room, and I have to say the room was disappointing, although very clean, and in the front of the hotel with a view of Clifford Tower, it was just an average hotel room in size, the bathroom being particularly small. The water pressure was dreadful, took a good half hour to run a bath and had to run around in the shower to get wet. The window did not close fully and we might as well have been trying to sleep on the front steps! The revellers had had a marvellous night, and they were indeed "the champions", the street cleaner paused, I am sure under the window just to make sure we were awake, the ducks from the nearby river were vocal - not to mention the removal company that had moved in upstairs,
Yes, its very central, but very impersonal and very noisy. Didn't eat here so cannot comment on the restaurant. Breakfast buffet was what you would expect from a large chain buffet - ok.
If you chose this hotel ask for a room at the rear of the building if you hope to get any sleep.

Room Tip: Room sin the front are noisy.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jandgEssex
Dear Guest,

It is with regret to read of your disappointment with your overall experience, and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. Your comments regarding the water pressure have been passed on to the Maintenance Manager who is in the process of trying to resolve this issue.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I sincerely hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future where I am positive we can show that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

Regards,