“Lovely hotel with helpful staff”
Review of Hilton York

Hilton York
Ranked #38 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here with our two children, a two month old and a 20 month old, and were really impressed with the hotel. It is in a great location in the city centre, within easy walking distance to all the city sites, and is clean and well equipped. We upgraded to a suite for an extra £20 a night and it was well worth it. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible, for example by storing our double buggy for us, leaving us with more room in our suite. We ate in the restuarant one evening and the food was really good, and they have a good childrens menu. I would definitely reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found my team to be exceptionally helpful and friendly to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be sharing your comments with them as they serve as a great motivator.

It is kind of you to recommend our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We booked this hotel because of it's location; right opposite Clifford Tower and an easy distance to walk to the main attractions. The room was quite decent sized and so was the bathroom. We were hardly in the room because we spent most of our time exploring the city. As you can imagine were really tired when we finally got back at night and went straight to bed. Only to wake up at half past 3 at night by some strange noises. I was very certain it was the Roman cavalry ghosts invading our room (having spent the evening on the ghost walk earlier). However, my boyfriend soon realised that it was the room's radiator. We spent a while investigating the situation but soon gave up and went back to sleep.

Our weekend was almost perfect except this incident. We emailed the hotel management about it but never received a reply, which was really disappointing. In retrospect, I wish we had gone down to the reception in the middle of the night and asked for assistance instead.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay.

I am sorry about the incident with regards to the radiators and have asked the Maintenance Manager to investigate this.

I hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the near future and hope that we can show you that we can do better with regards to our service.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked a weekend break and on arrival were able
To upgrade to a suite for an additional £8.00 which included two small bottles of wine, water and two pieces of fruit. The stay included breakfast and evening meal.
The room/suite was wonderful and the king size bed was fabulous. Tea and coffee in the room, TV etc all good quality. Evening meal and breakfast were great
Staff very friendly and really helpful
Will stay there again on our next visit
Location is very good and is in the centre of York overlooking Cliffords Tower

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your great review with us on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to learn that you had a lovely stay and enjoyed your weekend break at the Hilton York. I will be passing on your comments to my team as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have just spent a week end at the Hilton York, 1 Tower street.
Firstly I would say if you are not a smoker do not go to this hotel . The smell of smoke is strong on the corridors and although I requested a non smoking room the rooms directly opposite were smoking rooms and the smell was strong.The rooms were marked as smoking rooms. I was very surprised that the Hilton Hotel Group now allow smoking in bedrooms and will not return.
Our rooms were cold and we had to call reception to have the heating switched on as radiators were cold and we were told the heating timer had been switched off for our room section , which was the second floor. Not what we were expecting for our special occasion at the Hilton.
On the plus side the staff were wonderful, although not enough of them ,they were friendly and very hard working . Room was clean and comfortable and once we had heating it was fine but very average. No fridge or mini bar .
Breakfast was another issue as there was only one young man behind counter who was responsible for not only frying eggs for everyone but replentishing all the trays of cooked food and supplying plates/bowls etc, so queues were building. Not good!
Also fresh fruit although available for breakfast was difficult to get to because the large queue blocked access.
Location is very good being a few minutes walk from shops bars and restaurants. The staff are wonderful but the hotel was disappointing.

Room Tip: If you do not smoke go somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sylviaatdurham

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was most concerned to read your review regarding the areas our services failed to deliver to your expectations, whilst I would not like to make any excuses, I would like to assure you that your experience is certainly not reflective of our normally high standard of service.

I am disappointed to read that you won’t be returning back to the Hilton York due to these issues but I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to prove that we can do better.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed at the hotel for only 2 nights - 16/17 March 2012, with our dog. Found the hotel to be in an excellent location for the town centre and also for access to nice walks for the dog. Hotel staff were all helpful and friendly towards us at all times. Would deffinatly stay again and would recommend it based on our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Paulfranlara

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found my team to be helpful and friendly. We are lucky to be in such a great location which makes us an ideal base for exploring York.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

The staff at the hotel are wonderful and friendly, nothing too much trouble. We did have a problem with heating but straight away they changed our room and upgraded us with no hassle. Small dogs are made to feel very welcome and with grass just opposite the hotel, no searching for a park. The rooms were large enough, nice beds,extra pillows when requested, plenty of storage, bathroom not large but practical. We had rooms at the back of the hotel and front and noise level was quiet.The only noise very occasionly we heard was from the small group of geese that are around the clifford tower.Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice, fruit, yoghurt, cereals, bread,toast, pastries and cooked.Eggs cooked to order. There may be no fridges in the rooms but just ask reception and they put anything in their fridge.
Clifford Tower and York Castle Museum opposite.Yjorvik and York Dungeon 5 mins walking from hotel. Even York Minister is only 10 minutes walking. Hop on Hop off bus stops just outside the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank susielove

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on this website.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and you found my team to be wonderful and friendly and enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed in February 2012 on business.

This is a good hotel with attentive staff and a great location, a short walk from York centre.
Rooms are well presented and clean, if a little on the small side, with the bathrooms on the small side, but everything is in good order. I stayed here in the week, and there was some street noise which could be heard in the room. I would imagine on Friday or Saturday nights this could be an issue.

Only other niggle is the cost of parking, 17 pounds is expensive.

Otherwise I will use this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank gwaredd
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton York. We are lucky to be in such a great location which makes us an ideal base for exploring York.