“60th birthday”

Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in York
Bicester, United Kingdom
“60th birthday”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Just back from 3 nights to celebrate my sister in laws birthday.
Moved rooms after 1 night from 1st to 3rd floor , first nights sleep terrible for myself and sister in laws room; our sleep was disturbed throughout the night by ?who Reception were efficient and allocated rooms on the 3rd floor, even though I had telephoned ahead to ask for quiet rooms, on check in they had put us above Henry Beans Bar!

Catherine the Housekeeper was great - we had asked her about using blue tack to decorate a bedroom for the birthday girl and Catherine took the items and did it all for us when we were out! great surprise, lovely member of staff as most of the staff are. The lady cooking the eggs at breakfast is also great - a "northern girl" like us. She even made sure there was a banana each day for mother in law's breakfast!

We stay at the Hilton York twice a year - last in November 2011. My mother in law has difficulty getting into the bath so I would like them to try and accommodate us with a twin bedded room with a shower for future stays so hope somebody takes note of this - as they are not very accommodating towards people with mobility problems - yes I know you have a double bed room but my mother in law's carer is her daughter who does not want to share a bed.

Also need to sort out the a/c the rooms were very hot - we did go to reception about the heat! used a fan all night - I know it was exceptionally hot for March.

Overall though, cannot fault the cleanliness, and the breakfasts. In other reviews I have written I've always said a mini fridge would be great!

Room Tip: High rooms at the back unless you get a suite
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was delighted to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay and that Kathleen our Head Housekeeper was most helpful in arranging to decorate the room.

I have noted your comments for future stays and when you would like to visit us again please contact our in house reservations who will be able to assist you with the room configurations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York for another enjoyable visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
scotland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Only one complaint really and that is the rip off fee of £18.00 per night to park your car in the hotel car park. We stayed B and B with six friends and all agreed breakfast was good, tea and coffee was on supply when requested. The rooms were clean and tidy, not much of a view unless you are lucky enough to be at the front, but who stays in the hotel bedroom that long anyway. The hotel is smack bang in the middle of a great city for sightseeing and only a short walk to the river. I would definately return but would take the train the next time, cheaper than parking the car !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012 via mobile

We travelled as a couple and we had a lovely time here. We were greeted by the staff who took the car and parked it, even though we were 5 hours before our check in time. We later checked in and the staff were very professional. Our room was top notch and we had condiments and wine and fruit waiting for us. It was spotlessly clean, and we had a superb view of the little castle. We did have a drink at the bar however the prices were ridiculous. £7.95 for one glass of 175ml of wine! The breakfast the following day was superb, and the gentleman greeting us was trained to the highest standard. Spent the nit round the corner at the Henry Beam which is part of the Hilton. Food was great, like an American diner, and cocktails to die for. Overall a great stay and would definitely go again. We were able to leave our car in the car park as long as we moved it before the end of the day, even though we checked out at 12. Great experience! Thank you

Stayed March 2012
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments on this website and I wanted to personally respond and thank you.

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your kind comments are passed to the team.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the

Miami Fl
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family for a couple of days. The room is big enough for 4 people, the hotel is very clean and the service is excellent. There is no A/C (we did not needed), so I do not know if for the summer months this will be a good option. From the York train Station the best option is to take a £5 taxi to the hotel, it will take a solid 15 minute walk from the station. The hotel is across from Clifford Tower and the York Castle Museum. The breakfast was included on my rate and it was very good, otherwise it is expensive. The Wi-fi access is not included on your room unless you are Hilton Honors Gold Member and it is expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank elector
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back in the not too distant future.

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here with our two children, a two month old and a 20 month old, and were really impressed with the hotel. It is in a great location in the city centre, within easy walking distance to all the city sites, and is clean and well equipped. We upgraded to a suite for an extra £20 a night and it was well worth it. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible, for example by storing our double buggy for us, leaving us with more room in our suite. We ate in the restuarant one evening and the food was really good, and they have a good childrens menu. I would definitely reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your very kind comments relating to the Hilton York and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found my team to be exceptionally helpful and friendly to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It is a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I will be sharing your comments with them as they serve as a great motivator.

It is kind of you to recommend our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We booked this hotel because of it's location; right opposite Clifford Tower and an easy distance to walk to the main attractions. The room was quite decent sized and so was the bathroom. We were hardly in the room because we spent most of our time exploring the city. As you can imagine were really tired when we finally got back at night and went straight to bed. Only to wake up at half past 3 at night by some strange noises. I was very certain it was the Roman cavalry ghosts invading our room (having spent the evening on the ghost walk earlier). However, my boyfriend soon realised that it was the room's radiator. We spent a while investigating the situation but soon gave up and went back to sleep.

Our weekend was almost perfect except this incident. We emailed the hotel management about it but never received a reply, which was really disappointing. In retrospect, I wish we had gone down to the reception in the middle of the night and asked for assistance instead.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on this website.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay.

I am sorry about the incident with regards to the radiators and have asked the Maintenance Manager to investigate this.

I hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the near future and hope that we can show you that we can do better with regards to our service.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked a weekend break and on arrival were able
To upgrade to a suite for an additional £8.00 which included two small bottles of wine, water and two pieces of fruit. The stay included breakfast and evening meal.
The room/suite was wonderful and the king size bed was fabulous. Tea and coffee in the room, TV etc all good quality. Evening meal and breakfast were great
Staff very friendly and really helpful
Will stay there again on our next visit
Location is very good and is in the centre of York overlooking Cliffords Tower

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your great review with us on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to learn that you had a lovely stay and enjoyed your weekend break at the Hilton York. I will be passing on your comments to my team as they serve as a great motivator.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton York in the not too distant future.